“Hotel full of character” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Blackman

Save Saved
You added Art Series - The Blackman to your Saves list
Art Series - The Blackman
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   452 St Kilda Road | (entry via Arthur Street), Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia (Formerly The Blackman Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
24 Hour Party People
Ranked #6 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
London, England
“Hotel full of character”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We were delighted with this hotel. Lovely spacious rooms with fantastic views. There was perhaps not enough cupboard space for two people but that was the only negative. It is in a great location in walking distance of the lovely park. We loved the art work everywhere and the little kitchenette in the room, very useful. The beds are gloriously comfortable. Loved the fact that you could have late checkout if wanted. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren H, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
I am very pleased to hear how delighted you were following your stay at The Blackman so thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman soon.

1,044 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

This was one of the best hotels I have stayed at! Perfectly clean, new, sparkling and modern. A very large studio with private balcony that felt more like a unit. The art work everywhere was beautiful and made it seem more than a hotel. The bed was also the most comfortable I have experienced and I ordered one of their pillows at the end of my stay. It is a few kms out of the city (about 10 mins by tram or 5 mins by taxi), but is on a major tram route, so one can get a tram immediately whenever one wants. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you Kathryne for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your stay at The Blackman. I could not be happier to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us so thank you for your kind words. I have passed your comments on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Doreen, victoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Blackman to escape the reality of work and children for a night and just relax and get away.
I found the hotel to lack the little perks of your average 5 star hotel. Firstly after forgetting my toothbrush I found there not to be a complimentary one at the hotel. The television only has your standard channels with no option of prepay movies or on demand.
We paid for a delux suite with views and a balcony however from the balcony the view looked straight out onto buildings and offices with a corner view of the bay if you stood up and looked out to the side.
Being so close to at kilda rd the hotel overnight was extremely loud and although the curtains blocked out the light from outside the room, the room itself was very light with the lights for the microwave, clocks and smoke detector directly above the bed.
As for being a stone throw from the city, I felt that it was to far out with nothing being within walking distance.
When staying away for the weekend you require some direction from staff and unfortunately staff had to be asked questions in our case re:breakfast inclusions etc as this information was not offered during check in. Overall although the hotel decor is beautiful and the cleanliness of the hotel rates 5 stars for us, our stay was less than desirable. Next time we will escape to a 5 star hotel in town.

• Stayed January 2014
Many thanks Doreen for taking the time to review our property. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel decor and cleanliness. As we offer both complimentary dental kits and a number of different movie options I am unsure what has occured here but would be more than happy to discuss further if you would like to contact me. We have a number of differing room options with different views available, however as The Blackman enjoys a very high occupancy all year round it proves difficult to have everyone allocated to a room with a view (unless this was the room type booked). In saying this we do our best to accommodate all guest requests.

For the benefit of future travellers, we are located on St Kilda road which is a 20 minute walk to the city and 25 metres from a tram stop (which is a 10 minute ride into the city centre). Being in the center of Chapel Street, the City and St Kilda does provide great benefits for travellers.

I hope to welcome you back to again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Large room, well appointed (disappointing that everything is for sale as an added extra. i.e not even a free biscuit in the room). Very comfortable bed and easy access to the city via tram, a short walk away. Low lighting, which the staff say is mood setting....we prefer to have enough light to read and put make up on! It is impossible to switch off one bedside lamp and leave the other on. French cafe downstairs, great for afternoon tea and an early drink.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing us with your feedback following your stay at The Blackman. The lighting in our suites has been designed to utilise the Charles Blackman artwork. In saying this, we are able to provide additional lamps/higher watt globes when requested. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed both our signature beds and great location. Thank you for your lovely words about Depot De Pain - I have passed these on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman soon.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Blackman for one night after a long drive from Mt Gambier. We were a bit disconcerted when the reception staff greeted us with, "hi guys". I suppose I am getting old and it struck me then that a boutique hotel such as The Blackman is probably for hipper folk that I.

We stayed in a Junior Suite. The room had a large balcony with a city view and I enjoyed watching a storm roll over Melbourne soon after our arrival. Loved the decor-large Blackman prints, Phillip Starck ghost chairs, Platner tables.

The bathroom was very small, not what I expect of a hotel with a five-star rating. The bathroom is divided from the living room by a translucent glass wall and door, so I would not recommend a Junior Suite for those who feel the need of a private space for their ablutions.

The bed was absolutely divine, like lying in a cloud. The mattress has a pillow top, the pillows are down and the sheets gorgeous quality. The bedrooms in the junior suites are in a sort of alcove which can be divided off with a curtain. I slept well because the room was very quiet and dark.

The room service menu had a good variety of fare, including the ubiquitous club sandwich. We each ordered a chicken salad, which was fresh and delicious and we had a slice of the most fantastic lemon tart. It was the highlight of the stay, creamy and zingy and perfect. My mouth waters just thinking about it. The kitchen forgot to give us cutlery and napkins so we used the ones supplied in the kitchenette. Salt and pepper was supplied in tacky little paper squares rather than in proper salt and pepper grinders, again, not what I expect of a five-star hotel.

The Blackman is stylish and comfortable and I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren H, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your detailed feedback following your stay at The Blackman. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our quirky decor. We do sell all of our bedding so if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. I am delighted to hear your lovely comments about our room service menu and inparticular the fantastic lemon tart. We place significant importance in our guests' feedback as sometimes it brings things to our attention that we may need to change - so thank you. We hope to have you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights when passing through Melbourne on a recommendation from a friend. Price was good, bed was really comfy & views from room were nice. French cafe downstairs does a nice breakfast. Hotel staff friendly. Would recommend it if you want to spend time at St. Kilda, but next time I think we'd stay abut closer to city centre!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks Annie for taking the time to provide us with your review of The Blackman. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your lovely words about our staff and french cafe - I have passed these on to the team. We hope to have you back again soon.

Victoria Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed here recently in room 1603 with views not as good as last time. If you are not in a suite then ask for the view over Albert Park for preference. The rooms are modern, light and well decorated with all of Charles Blackman's work throughout. The bonus is the Italian eatery downstairs. The food is seriously delicious. The Fleur Depot de Pain is also a great spot for coffee and pastry. Only minus point for this hotel is you have to pay for your parking. It should be included. If you are not driving then there is a tram stop outside on St Kilda Road that takes you right into Melbourne. Staff are great too. I

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing us with your feedback following your recent stay. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind words about our staff & restaurants, Classico & Fleur Depot De Pain. We look forward to having you back again soon.

For future travellers, our Bay View suites provide views over Albert Park Lake and we do offer secure on-site car parking for $25.00 per night.

Front Office Manager

Been to Art Series - The Blackman? Share your experiences!