“Professional” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Blackman

You added Art Series - The Blackman to your Saves list
Art Series - The Blackman
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   452 St Kilda Road | (entry via Arthur Street), Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia (Formerly The Blackman Hotel)   |
Special Price
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #10 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Professional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights in spacious, bright suite with view to lake and bay. First night, wonderful and enjoyed a lovely meal at Classico. 2nd night unfortunately a party held in adjoining room. Many thanks to Paul who promptly addressed our complaint, eventually removing party goers from the Hotel. And also to Nicholas for his consideration and compensation at check out. They handled this situation compassionately and professionally.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren H, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for providing us with your feedback. I apologise that you were bothered during your stay but am happy to hear that Paul and Nick looked after you in resolving the issue. Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Greek first
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

The Blackman Hotel has a bright and welcoming reception area and our Executive Suite on the 8th floor was perfect for us, a couple travelling with a teenage son. Our son was given a rollout cot which was set up in the sitting area of the suite and the sliding door between that area and the sleeping area provided privacy for everyone. The cot was exceptionally comfortable, not the flimsy type that many hotels use. The breakfast in the ground floor coffee bar was terrific and the staff was helpful and knowledgable. At different times, two of the people at the front desk discouraged us from using the Melbourne tram system suggesting cabs would be an easier way to get around but, really, the tram system is super easy and cost-efficient to use.

There are not a lot of amenities directly around the hotel but it's a 10 minute pretty ride through tree-lined streets to get to the heart of the downtown. There are also interesting neighbourhoods such as Chapel Street, Toorak Road and, a bit farther but not too far St Kilda beach area, all within 10 -15 minutes by tram from the hotel.

There are only 2 things that stood out as slight negatives. One is that the bathroom door in the suite was glass (mostly frosted) but did not close completely- there is no latch and the door swings both outward and inward so you lose some privacy on that front. The other was that that the communal areas and our room smelled slightly of cigarette smoke. Not sure if that's because people do smoke on the patios outside reception and some might also smoke on the balconies of the hotel rooms? Smoking in shared public outside spaces in Brisbane and Melbourne seems fairly common so that may account for the smell.

Overall, though, a great hotel and we would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a side with a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your stay at The Blackman. I was happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay in our Executive Suite. I have passed your lovely comments on the our team. Smoking in the outside public areas of the hotel is permitted and while our hotel rooms are non-smoking, guests are permitted to smoke on their balconies. I apologise that you were bothered by this smell. Please know that we would have happily moved you to another room if we were made aware. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Went to Melbourne for the first time as my 21st birthday present to myself with my now husband we booked flights and The Blackman as a deal through flight center and so glad we did as from when we rocked up to when we left we had a great experience, the staff were helpful and the restaurant was very yummy. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Shannon for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am very happy to hear that your first trip to Melbourne was enjoyable for you and your husband. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed at the Blackman for an extended stay, and it was nothing short of exceptional. Our stay was a number of weeks and I can honestly say it went without any hick ups for the duration.

We requested a room with a balcony and a bath if possible and received both. The view from the balcony was wonderful, being on the front side of the hotel and being able to look towards the ocean. We had two sets of balcony doors and this gave the room a lovely open feeling and plenty of fresh air (and lots of light in the day time). The room was modern, and well planned, it also had a number of "hidden" storage spaces, such as the suitcases can all slide under the bed (even the large ones), and the long seat in front on the bed opens up, so things can go inside. This kept most of our clutter out of the way meant we could actually make the most of the the space that was there. The bathroom also had sufficient storage space. The bath was a good size one, (with water jets) and an over bath shower.

Our room was spacious, the bed comfortable, and quite decent amenities. We did receive a discounted rate for the extended stay, and given the Melbourne prices the rate we got was reasonable, and much better value than any thing else in the surrounding area.

The location of the hotel is quite good, being right near a St Kilda Rd tram stop, with many trams into the city and also down to St Kilda. Although we never used it we were also made aware that Blackman offers a complimentary morning shuttle at 8am into the city.

There are some particular things I would like to mention regarding our stay.

Firstly Haylee who I was communicating with regarding the room before our stay, and also regarding extending our stay after arrival, was very friendly, always helpful, genuine, made sure that what we had what we wanted, responded quickly to my many enquiries and questions, and checked to make sure that everything was going well, and that we were happy. So I would like to say thank you.

Regarding the room; it was spotlessly clean, both the room and the bathroom, and housekeeping did a great job. Not only that, I was impressed that once early on I mentioned to a lady from housekeeping which was my favourite tea, and from then on there were always a couple of extra of this flavour (they were lovely T2 teas). Once I asked for extra of a different tea, and she asked if it was my new favourite. yes getting tea is not special since you can always ask if you run out, but this a great example to show the extra attention paid by the housekeeping staff to even bother to remember small details of what I like and go that little bit extra with the small things to make sure I was happy. I was pleasantly surprised by this.

Any time I needed anything (power converter, kitchen tools, coat hangers etc) it was always brought to the room within minutes, and always with a smile.

Any business services I needed, which was mostly printing and scanning etc, was all done quickly and efficiently. Our internet was included in the rate we paid. it was fast, and always worked well.

Everything here functions just as it should, and any problems were dealt with efficiently and without any drama (eg. once a charge was made to the to the credit card on file, and we had just wanted to use this card for security during the stay and actually pay charges with local EFTPOS account, it was immediately refunded with an apology and recharged as we wanted without any stress or hassle). I got the impression that Blackman will make sure that everything runs smoothly and actually cares thats its a good experience for people staying.

The front desk staff were all pleasant, helpful, and professional. I never spoke to anyone who wasn't friendly and helpful.

One thing that could be improved on here though - the staff often are busy when you walk in and out and many times don't pause what they are working on to greet guests coming in and out. Looking up to say good morning, good evening just takes a second and would really make a difference.

The only other problem we had in the room was the lighting. Lovely and bright during the day because of the glass wall/doors to the balcony, but at night we found the room insufficiently lit. it was good enough for reading in bed, and relaxing, doing any holiday things etc, but not for actual work at night. We ended up unscrewing the lamp and removing one of the lamp shades while we were working. This solved the problem.

All in all though, I have to say It was an the whole a fantastic stay, and would have no hesitation in recommending this place to anyone that is going to be in Melbourne. I will certainly suggest it to people I know and would definitely have no hesitation to stay here again next time we need to come back to Melbourne, especially if its for buisness or for an extended periods of time. This hotel is everything it says and more and you wont be sorry staying here.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony and a good view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for providing us with your feedback following your stay at The Blackman. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Your lovely words are much appreciated and have been passed on to Haylee and the staff. Thank you also for providing your suggestions of how we can improve our services. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Just spent an awesome weekend in Melbourne with a very pleasant 2 (turned into 3) night stay at the Blackman on St Kilda Road. Could not have asked for a better hotel experience :) The staff were always friendly and helpful, the room was modern with great appliances, the kids loved the spa bath and balcony with a view through to Albert Park Lake and (best of all) spotlessly clean. The location is a little out of the CBD but a tram stop right outside the door with a maximum 3-4 minute wait made it easy and it was nice spending a bit of time in the Botanical Gardens across the road. Absolutely fabulous value for money if you are looking for a Melbourne getaway. It's the little things that make a stay away from home special, for me this was the welcoming and smiling staff, the wonderful artwork hanging everywhere and even the complimentary tea and coffee was up a notch!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I was very happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us. I have passed your lovely comments on to our team. We look forward to having you back at The Blackman soon.

The Blackman Team
Dunkeld, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Following a recommendation from a friend, I booked a night at the Blackman for my wife and I. It was brilliant - fantastic location, awesome room with a view and sensational breakfast at the little French cafe downstairs. And the rates were very reasonable.

If you are looking for a weekend in Melbourne....venture outside of the CBD and spend a night or two at this gem!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Glen for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your stay at The Blackman. I was very happy to hear that you and your wife had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman soon.

Denpasar, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Having to visit Melbourne regularly as part of my business, I had been bouncing from one over-priced but underwhelming CBD hotel to another for the last year. This time I opted to go just a little outside the CBD, and what a difference!

From the moment I arrived, it was obvious that the Blackman is very different to the usual vanilla corporate affair. Nicely decorated lobby, and very friendly (but not over-formal) staff made the check-in very easy. The room (a Studio Suite Balcony) was so different from the "normal" hotel room! Beautifully decorated in an interesting and modern theme, great bed and furnishings, and a collection of lovely artworks and books explaining them.

The workstation was easy to work at, with fast and reasonably priced wireless internet. There is a good coffee shop downstairs for easy meetings.

All in all, this was a revelation to me, and certainly will be where I will be staying in future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lauren H, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you Mike, for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your recent stay at The Blackman. I am very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and many thanks for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Front Office Manager

Been to Art Series - The Blackman? Share your experiences!