“Great Hotel, great service, great rooms.......Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Blackman

You added Art Series - The Blackman to your Saves list
Art Series - The Blackman
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   452 St Kilda Road | (entry via Arthur Street), Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia (Formerly The Blackman Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #9 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
“Great Hotel, great service, great rooms.......Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The rooms are beautiful, art work is divine, beds are so comfortable, service was excellent, Mini bar reasonably priced great location for popping down to St Kilda or the City on a quick tram ride. Wish I had stayed longer

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Haylee J, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for your great feedback. We love to celebrate Charles Blackman’s artwork with our guests, and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back to stay with us again, maybe for a longer visit!

Kimmy Walt
Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Blackman for a second time. This was our anniversary and a treat for my wife. We had a great stay and were so happy when Kelly gave us a bottle of wine to celebrate. The rooms are big and do have balconies. The location is ok but you do need transport if you want to go to the CBD. Classico also does great pizza too. Service was friendly. We'll be back.

• Stayed March 2013
NickGouin, General Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. We strive to provide outstanding customer service, and we're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We understand that the location isn't directly in the City Centre, but we're just a short, scenic tram ride down leafy St. Kilda Road to access all of the main sights. Thank you again for celebrating your special occasion with us, and we hope to see you next time.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is certainly stylish. I looked out of place in shorts and sandals but it made great entertainment to see everyone trying to out style each other in the lift. The check in was lacklustre (maybe it's not cool to seem too friendly) but the room was large and really comfortable and definitely a bit different. The problem with this place is it's not near anywhere, unless you think a 30-40 minute walk to anywhere is near. We were told at check in 'it's 20 minutes to everywhere from here'. It probably is, but not to anywhere you want to go. It's also next to St Kilda Road with its multi-lanes of endless traffic. Quiet and central it isn't. But it does have style.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We genuinely appreciate your feedback and are disappointed that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. We aim to provide outstanding customer service, while offering a unique artsy experience for our guests- we always try to go the extra mile for our customers. Although we’re not directly in the city centre, one can access all of the main Melbourne sights within 10 minutes by tram. We also provide a complimentary shuttle into the city each morning, and hire smart cars and bicycles to make transportation even easier for our guests. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you’ll give us a second chance!

Kimmy Walt
Assistant Guest Experience Manager
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

From the moment we walked in it was amazing. An arty, elegant feel with a warm welcome from the concierge. We were early so we had a bite at Classico (the restaurant attached to the hotel). THE BEST SERVICE EVER! Emma was just amazing, quick & efficient with just a little time to chat to make us feel welcome. The food (antipasti selections) was lite and fresh.
We then made our way to the room which was just right. Later that afternoon we were given a bottle of Sparking to celebrate our occasion (Thank you Sean).
Our second visit to Classico was even better with Emma welcoming us back. This time we went for main dishes the prosciutto carbonara was to die for. It's the first time I've seen a pasta dish with just the right amount of meat. Not just a sliver or two on top I mean plenty tossed all through the dish. The salmon was delightful and the roast potatoes were classic.
From attentive front of house to and elegant hotel I can't recommend this place enough. I m dying to go back and can't wait to check out the rest of the Art Series hotels. I hope they are all as good as the Blackman.

Thanks to all
(and a big thanks to Emma)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NickGouin, General Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Across all of the property we do try and offer efficient, friendly and genuine service to all of our guests. I'm glad that we could make your anniversary a special one for you and I hope we'll see you for the next one. Thank you for mentioning Emma and Sean; they do a great job.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Nice staff, great little cafe downstairs -great coffee!. Had a corner room; two sets of glass doors and two balconies was nice. Central to many things but not near anything. Tram stop directly across the street. Common space (elevator landings) and some furniture is starting to show some wear. Comfortable bed. Nice perk to have a Smart car available to rent for the day.

Stayed February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It sounds like you had one of our larger executive suites. These certainly are nice, with the balcony offering some nice fresh air and a place to sit and watch the sun go down. We are currently in the middle of a preventative mainteance plan which will involve updating some of the furnishing and public carpets and tiles. This will keep the hotel looking fresh and updated. We hope to see you again soon.
Country Vic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed here recently for 2 nights after getting a really good rate on Wotif.Com. On arrival, the front desk was a bit ho hum - informing me the balcony room I had ordered was not available and I was 'upgraded' to a King Room. Now I like a big bed but dislike the old 2 singles zipped together and that is what I got - so no points there guys. The room was full of art and magazines, and had a handy kitchenette reasonably well stocked.
Opened the glass cupboard and it smelled like fish - so I had to wash all of the glasses and mugs before I could use them.
The Cafe's below were pretty good for breakfast - and the walking distance to town was about 35 to 40 minutes.
Hard to give it full marks, hard to give a 1 - so in the middle for this one.

Room Tip: Ask not to get twins zipped togheter - it is always lumpy in the middle!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to offer us some useful feedback. There are some simple things that we can do to ensure these smaller issues don't happen again. I really appreciate hearing it from a seasoned traveller such as yourself. We will certainly take this on board for future guests. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
Geelong, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

What a shame! This could have been a five star review!
I booked this hotel for an overnight stay through wotif.com. My circumstances were that I was flying back into Melbourne from o/s and my first appointment the next day was at 3pm. Wotif.com were advertising a special at the Blackman which included a 2pm check-out. This seemed perfect! For once I could stay at a hotel in Australia (normally 10 - 11:00am check-out) and sleep off the jet lag! On arrival I was very impressed - quite new, great atmosphere, nice gym, and terrific location. My only negative observation was the bottle of drinking water beside the bed, which I first assumed to be complimentary, had a $3 price tag on it!! (I don't think your Asian travellers would be too impressed with this!). As expected, jet lag was an issue and it was after 6am by the time I finally dropped off, content in the knowledge that I could sleep in. UNTIL JUST AFTER 9 AM when the door rattled and opened DESPITE the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door. I leaped out of bed to find two young men standing there who said they were from "maintenance". Apparently there'd been a "mistake" and their 'sheet' indicated the room was vacant (this despite the sign on the door and an express checkout envelope on the floor in from of the room). Awake, fuzzy and annoyed at this stage I sent them off with the directive to update their 'sheet'. I also called reception to let them know and, again, issued instructions to update their records. Knowing I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep for a while, I ordered a quick breakfast and then went back to bed to try to get another hours sleep. UNTIL 10:30AM WHEN ANOTHER EMPLOYEE JUST LET HIMSELF IN TO 'CHECK THE MINI-BAR'! I'd had it by this stage - the records hadn't been updated and staff were just going to let themselves in and out all morning no matter what I did. Thoroughly annoyed and fuzzy from lack of sleep and being jolted awake every thirty seconds by staff in my room, I demanded to see the Manager - eventually spoke to 'Nick' who was apologetic and has since sent me an email to try to smooth the waters. I may give the Blackman another chance but this review is based on my experiences of this stay - which were terrible. I'm willing to forgive one mistake but when it continues to happen as a result of lazy or careless staff who could have fixed things simply by correcting the room status on their records, then that indicates a systemic problem with staff training and/or attitude.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
As Russell the reviewer has mentioned I have spoken with him, both on the day of departure and since then to rectify the situation. We are very confident that this is not an on-going issue within the hotel and we are sure that if Russell returns he will enjoy his experience. We are doing everything we can to ensure this does not happen again in the future.

Been to Art Series - The Blackman? Share your experiences!