“Hot. Bland. Smug.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Blackman

You added Art Series - The Blackman to your Saves list
Art Series - The Blackman
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   452 St Kilda Road | (entry via Arthur Street), Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia (Formerly The Blackman Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #10 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Singapore, Singapore
“Hot. Bland. Smug.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We had to change rooms because the air conditioning was asthmatic, only to be put into a room with the cooling credentials of a dash-mounted fan. A propos decor to go with the obligatory Claude Challe muzak. The location was not great, mostly because to get a day-ticket on the trams is too complicated and expensive, and it was too far to walk anywhere interesting. We tried the Italian restaurant only to find the food quite bland but then this was a theme on our trip around Oz.
Finally, I was surprised that the wifi was not free, a small and inexpensive touch that would go a long way.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Haylee J, Assistant Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
bushmanparis, Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay, I am sorry to learn that it did not seem to be an enjoyable one.
Your comments regarding the air conditioning are very unusual, whilst the controls in the room need to be activated in conjunction with a key in the power source, we also have the benefit of being able to control all units remotely. It is upsetting this affected your stay with us.
Regarding your dining experience, your comments have been passed onto our chefs, but I'm sorry you did not experience some of the amazing food on offer here. Both Melbourne and Australia have some amazing restaurants, and Melbourne particularly has an amazing food culture.
I hope your next visit to Oz is an enjoyable one.

Kind Regards
Haylee Jarrott
Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Greek first
Syracuse, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Very new, clean, stylish. Great view of the harbour and city. Nice to have a balcony. Great to have a kitchenette. Designed to make the most of the natural wind flow and shade/light, so rarely had to turn on the a/c even in 34 degree heat. Loved renting the bikes and smart car. Great location close to the city, art gallery, botanical gardens and St Kilda. Didn't give 5 stars because the noise and cigarette smoke really carries from balconies and room walls are quite thin. Also didn't like having to pay for internet in a hotel that is so obviously new and hip.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I organised 3 groups of family members to stay at the Blackman for a weekend in early February and was impressed by every aspect of the experience. Being a frequent corporate and family traveller (with children), I was wary of which hotel to choose as most hotels can cater for one group but not the other - the Blackman could capably deal with both groups. Prior to booking I asked to speak to the Manager (Nick) and outline the different groups and ask if we could stay on the same floor which was confirmed immediately. We were able to organise an early check-in at a busy time (early Friday afternoon) and every aspect was seamless. The rooms are amazing and the artwork really adds to boutique feel of the hotel. Whilst I was concerned that the hotel is not in a built-up area, the eating options downstairs at the restaurant and cafe were great and Toorak Rd options are within walking distance.

I'll definitely recommend the hotel to business colleagues as well as those travelling with a family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Hotel room was pristine, clean with an incredible view of Albert Park and Port Phillip Bay. We did have an issue with the balcony locking behind us and the range hood light not turning off, we were slightly disappointed when they were not able to move us and duct-taped the lights over instead. Staff were friendly and good problem solvers :) Sheets and bed were amazing, had a great night sleep.

Room Tip: Something with a balcony!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful service, great room, close to everything. This hotel covers everything, comfort, style, culture, food within Melbourne a cultural hub of Australia. Loved this like no other hotel. Apart from art the rooms even have vitamins on the minibar, hire of scooters and cars, and much more. The restaurants downstairs are also classy and inviting. Short walk to trams and amenities. Friendly , helpful staff. I could go on, but I won't.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recently stayed at the Blackman Hotel for a work trip and I brought my girlfriend along with me. It was the second time I’ve stayed at the Blackman and I’d been raving for weeks about how awesome it was and how she would love it. Needless to say, she was not let down. We arrived early (around 1030am) and were able to check into our room straight away. While we were inside getting excited about the MASSIVE room, double balcony, huge bathroom and all the other goodies that make the Blackman so special, we got a knock on the door and it was the checkin staff handing me a card and a lollipop to thank me for staying at the Blackman again, very impressed.
The Blackman has everything you’d want in a couples or business trip. Massive room, heaps of TV channels, excellent room service, well stocked mini bar and snacks, and best of all the room service, mini bar and Wi-Fi Internet are all reasonably priced. Nothing worse then when you get ripped off at a hotel for these things. The staff seem genuinely interested and met every request I had - fresh towels, cleaning the room quickly, printing business documents, helping me find a great local steak restaurant.
Some of my favourite things about the Blackman:
• They leave 3 different newspapers at your door every morning! It’s great to be able to read the Herald Sun, The Age and The Australian in bed each morning.
• The room has a fully equipped kitchen, big fridge and the room service menu is legit. Great food and heaps of options available 24/7
• The city is a short walk or you can just jump on the tram right out the front, which gets you to Flinders station in a couple of minutes. Great for me as I have meetings in the city. Best of all it’s on the south side of the city so it makes a great jog from the Blackman to the city through the park. Beautiful.
Some of my girlfriends favourite things were:
• the amazingly yummy freckleberry chocolate! Possibly the best chocolate I've ever had!
• very sweet cleaning staff who came up to clean when I called and then cleaned around me!
• the giant bathroom

Overall we had a great trip and was actually a little sad to leave. Can’t wait to stay at the Olsen on my next trip but I can be sure that the Art Series group will have my Melbourne travel business for as long as I’m around.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This hotel was absolutely fabulous right from the moment we walked through the front doors until the moment we left you could not get the smile off our faces.

The space in the room was fantastic and had everything you need for a short stay.

The only thing I would suggest is to put the lounge in view of the tv instead of next to it.

Our car was parked straight away and was returned to us within 5 minutes.

The room service was quick and delicious especially for room service meal and the meals were massive.

The art is strange and beautiful it is an experience on its own just to look at the art work.

We will deffinetly be staying here again and look forward to staying at the other art series hotels.

Best hotel I've stayed in so far.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Art Series - The Blackman? Share your experiences!