“Excellence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Blackman

You added Art Series - The Blackman to your Saves list
Art Series - The Blackman
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   452 St Kilda Road | (entry via Arthur Street), Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia (Formerly The Blackman Hotel)   |
Special Price
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #10 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Port Louis
“Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

We stayed for 8 nights and didn't want to leave. The Blackman offers all the expected conveniences, plus appliances, A large and beautiful room with an opening patio door and balcony. Clean smelling. Gleaming. Quiet. The best king bed ever. Coin laundry down the hall. You have to look hard to find fault, but to achieve perfection, the Blackman could do two things: scrap the mini-bar clutter and make some closet space for suits and coats.
Staff are polite and helpful. The location is very close to the downtown and major attractions. It is convenient for leisure or business, with or without a car. Trams (several routes) stop at the corner of St. Kilda and Arthur (first stop south of Toorak) and provide access to everywhere. You can purchase a transit pass for zone 1 (myki) at the Southern Cross train and bus terminal when you get off the airport bus (SkyBus). The trams are a little awkward for luggage and a transfer is required, so best take a taxi from Southern Cross to the Blackman. The trams are great for exploring the city and will also take you the restaurant area at Chapel and Toorak, the docklands and St. Kilda beach.
There is no swimming pool at the Blackman, but a sister property, the Olsen, has one that guests of the Blackman can use, and is a 12 minute tram ride away.
You might want to Google the hotel's site for photos and do a search for the art of Charles Blackman, which is well represented throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms below the fifth floor, at the back of the building are very close to an adjoining office...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Ben_Ezard, Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
Dear Sigfried,

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for your positive feedback. I was very happy to learn that you had an excellent stay with us and are looking forward to a return visit.

You have given us a great review about everything the hotel can offer our guest.

Charles Blackman is a amazing artist and you are right that everyone should do a search online regarding him and his art. We are very proud that we are named after a Great Australia Artist.

The Blackman Hotel prides itself on exceeding guest’s expectations and I can assure you that your outstanding comments will be shared with all of our team at the next staff meeting.

Thank you once again and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Blackman Hotel on your next visit to Melbourne.

Night Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Greek first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

The Blackman is a nice hotel in a good location. My partner and I spent one night here recently and we had a pleasant stay in one of the lake facing rooms.

There were some very nice features to the room. It was however a little on the pricey side.

Great Cafe and Bar downstairs proving even more of a good vibe to the place. Staff were very nice and helpful...

Give it a go....

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Ben_Ezard, Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear 2009MWP,

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for your feedback. I was disappointed to hear that you thought we where on the little bit pricey side

I was happy however to know that despite the price issue you had a pleasant stay with us and are looking forward to a return visit. The Blackman Hotel prides itself on exceeding guest’s expectations and I can assure you that your comments will be shared with all of our team at the next staff meeting.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

What can i say i was expecting allot especially after the reviews I had read unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations. There were allot of reasons and not much had to do with the hotel staff but more to do with people writing the reviews had built it up as being the best hotel in Melbourne and if they think that then they have got allot of problems.
Lets get one thing straight you get what you pay for and by no means do i have any ill feelings toward the Blackman or the staff they were great but as a hotel it is extremely average and dressed up. An analogy would be an average chick wearing a fancy dress with lots of make-up but when you wake up the next morning your dissapointed.
We had taken our family there on a holiday for my dads birthday and i had convinced my parents to stay there because the reviews were so awesome unfortunately the people must have stayed at a different hotel and i felt embarrassed that i had convinced them to stay there because it wasnt as good as the reviews. The rooms were so small and we had one of the bigger ones the pictures don't show you how small they are and they are definitely not private all i can say is that if you are looking for a family hotel this is not it.
I wish i had paid the extra $1000 or even $2000 to get a better, bigger, hotel closer to the cbd and with a heated pool it was a nightmare trying to keep the kids entertained and it was like don't touch that don't touch this and allot of the people that were staying there were so pretentious it was like how dare you bring kids into an establishment like this which was quite funny since it was so cheap. Mind you i did talk to a guy in the elevator who paid allot more for the same room compared to us so maybe we just got a good deal.
This hotel would suit Business people, a couple, Solo definitely NOT FAMILIES don't make the same mistake i did.
The staff were great really nice and helpful and the paintings were great too if you are into that kinda stuff but if you want a great family holiday i would suggest somewhere else but expect to pay for it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

This is the second of the Art Series hotels I’ve stayed in, and I was drawn back by the most comfortable beds I’ve ever slept on!

The Blackman is not exactly located in the most happening area, but I liked being mid-way between St Kilda and the city (both a very easy tram ride along St Kilda Road), plus close to Chapel Street and Toorak. We stayed in a bottom-of-the-range studio room –very compact, but with all the necessary amenities, clean and quiet, and we loved having a balcony with views to the bay from our 17th floor room.

There is a good patisserie and a bar/bistro downstairs. Staff were friendly and helpful, and check-in and out were both very efficient. Wifi, whilst not free, is at least reasonably priced.

Overall, I enjoyed the hotel and would definitely stay at the Art Series again. I’ve rated the hotel four stars rather than five simply because rates for Saturday nights (which is when we stayed) are rather expensive for the location and room-size.

Dear Cloudycat,

As you write our Beds are amazing & you can buy them from the hotel too. We offer a range of items you can buy from the beds to the Blackman story book.

Im glad you enjoyed both of our restaurants. Having 2 styles of food on site is great for the hotel guests. From French to Italian you have the best of both worlds.

Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We chose this hotel because we had previously stayed at an Art Series Hotel, the Cullen, a year before. On that particular visit The Blackman was still under construction and we passed it every day on the tram. We enjoyed the Cullen so much we decided then that we would stay at the other Art Series hotels during subsequent visits to compare them. We decided on The Blackman, due to its location, for our next visit to Melbourne, if it was completed. Very luckily for us it was.

Our introduction to The Blackman was a beautiful, compact lobby and a genuinely warm welcome from the staff. We arrived 2 hours earlier than our check-in time but were checked into our room immediately. The reception staff were friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable - even knowing the number, and stop location, of the tram we needed to catch to get to our concert.

Being an Art Series hotel, you expect to see the incredible and often thought provoking artworks of the Australian artist, for whom the hotels are named, on display and The Blackman doesn't disappoint. The lobby showcases some wonderful, thought provoking paintings and the art theme is carried through to all areas of the hotel including the guest rooms.

On entering the hotel room the flat screen television was running a short documentary about Charles Blackman, the hotel's namesake. Our entry to the room coincided with a fanfare in the film - which made us laugh - what are the chances?!

The rooms are beautifully furnished with thoughtful touches such as bookstands with interesting hardback non-fiction titles that you can peruse at your leisure. The mini bar has a nice selection that includes gourmet products and boutique beers. You can even buy The Blackman merchandise from your mini bar menu - products range from umbrellas to beds! The rooms have little kitchenettes that have been carefully and considerately designed and equipped. The rooms are designed for guests to be totally self sufficient if they would prefer.

Our room had superb views overlooking Albert Park Lake and all the way down to St Kilda Beach. The floor to ceiling windows ensured plenty of light and sunshine (yes, the sun was shining)! The room had two balconies, one of which was furnished with a beautiful table and chair setting.

The hotel's designer bathrooms are something to behold. They are well designed and spacious with a large shower and plenty of room to put your toiletries during your stay. The bathroom is separated from the room by a frosted glass wall with an artwork theme across it. The effect is eye catching and adds to the plushness of the room.

Our room had a high, extremely comfortable bed with exquisite linen and soft comforter. The pillows are large European size feather and down. The rooms are extremely quiet - the floors are designed to minimise passing guest noise. We couldn't hear any noise from the room next door, the lifts or people passing our room. We had a peaceful and restful stay.

The hotel is located on Arthur Street just off St Kilda Road with a tram stop about 50 metres away. We were in Melbourne for the Foo Fighters concert at AAMI Park. It was very easy, convenient and inexpensive to travel around the city and to the concert venue via the trams given the hotel's location.

We ate lunch the first day and breakfast the second day in Depot de Pain (a French Bakery) just off the hotel lobby. The restaurant staff were mostly French which gave me the opportunity to practice my French language skills. The food was beautifully presented and mouth watering. It had the feel of a genuine Parisian cafe.

The rooms in this hotel are so luxurious and plush they give the feeling of being at home in a luxury apartment rather than the usually sterile hotel room experience. The hotel is spotlessly clean and everything is in immaculate condition.

Having spent my entire career in the airline industry as a domestic and international cabin manager (my boyfriend is a Senior Management Pilot) and being well acquainted with hotels (and hotel chains) around the world, The Blackman is truly an outstanding, world class hotel. It is a credit to all the wonderful people who work so hard to keep it as such.

Top class service, food and staff - everything about this hotel is 5 star apart from the room tariff which makes it exceptional value for money.

The Blackman is now our preferred choice whenever we are in Melbourne. Elle était magnifique!

Room Tip: Request a room with a view overlooking Albert Park.
Dear Ali B,

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for your wonderful and positive feedback about the hotel. I was very happy to learn that you had an excellent stay with us and are looking forward to a return visit.

Your review about the hotel makes me proud to work for such an amazing hotel. Being named after such an amazing artist as in Charles Blackman is credit to the owners of our hotel group in naming the hotel after him.

Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I did like the service. everything about it was graet

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Chanyang,

As you have written we do cater for the business traveller, but we also do cater for the leisure guest in mind as well. We offer from Smart Cars to hire to Push bikes and also offer DVD players and a Wii gaming machine to hire as well.

New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

What a great hotel. We loved everything. The art is great, the room was fantastic. We love how the hallway had motion detectors to help save energy. There are some very good restaurants not far from the hotel just off of St. Kilda towards Melbourne. I think they are right after Toorak.

They do have a car to hire if you want to. You should reserve it ahead of time. We did try to book it, but it was taken both times when we wanted to use it.

The pub scene south of the hotel in the St. Kilda area is great. Lots of live music and cool pubs to check out. It's a short tram trip from in front of the hotel down to this area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Ben_Ezard, Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
Dear LoydDobbler

Im sorry to hear you didn't have a chance to drive our Smart Cars. Maybe next time your in Australia.

Im glad you where able to find some great Restaurants and Pubs around our area to enjoy. (At the Reception desk we have a folder of all the great Restaurants all around Melbourne area)

Night Manager

Been to Art Series - The Blackman? Share your experiences!