“all good, but pity about the noisy aircon” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fraser Place Melbourne

You added Fraser Place Melbourne to your Saves list
Fraser Place Melbourne
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   19 Exploration Lane, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Fraser Winter Special
Ranked #29 of 104 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
“all good, but pity about the noisy aircon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Overall I thought this was a great hotel with spacious rooms that were clean and reasonably quiet with regards to outdoor/street noise. Check in and check out was fast and efficient. We had a twin room (403 - comfortable beds) with a desk/table but only one chair, which forced us to have a relaxed breakfast in bed one morning. The bathroom has a frosted glass door with strategically placed decals which was enough to preserve our dignity, given that we were friends travelling together. The water pressure in the shower was good and the toiletries had a lovely fragrance.

My only issue was the volume of noise the airconditioner made. It looked like it should be ducted but it sounded as though there was a 1970s split system rattling/humming/groaning behind the vents. Unfortunately Melbourne was in the midst of a heatwave, so switching it off overnight was unbearable, but if the weather had been more pleasant we probably could have managed with the aircon switched off and the sliding door on the balcony open slightly. The positive was that the aircon did cool the room down efficiently so temperature-wise it was comfortable, it was simply the noise that prevented sleep.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to review Fraser Place Melbourne and sharing your experience with the wider TripAdvisor community. I am pleased that you found our beds comfortable and the bathroom amenities refreshing. As you mention the modern bathroom design with frosted glass & decal can take some getting used, particularly if travelling with a friend, however the design still offers complete privacy. I am thankful you have provided us with the opportunity to address the noisy air-conditioner in apartment 403. I have reported your concerns to our engineer whom is investigating how we can resolve the problem, or at least minimise the disturbance caused. Again, thank-you for your feedback; I hope we can welcome you back to be our guest during your next visit to Melboure.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Emsworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

On a brief visit to Melbourne we found Fraser Place ticked all our boxes. It is conveniently located and we had a big room with a comfy bed. All sorts of useful items were included such as a kettle, fridge and toaster; even a hot plate and microwave with pans etc. which would be great if you were staying a bit longer. With only four rooms on each corridor disturbance is minimised. The place is clean, feels secure and is a useful base for the City. An ice machine in the building would be a useful addition.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank-you for your review; I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us whilst in Melbourne recently and that you found our apartments well equipped and conveniently located. I hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed at the standard room on level 6, had partial views of the city.

It was great value as it included breakfast, free wifi, late checkout and the location was very convenient, next to a lot of cafes/bars for a good price compared to some other hotels that are more expensive and not as good.

The room was nice and clean, the staff helpful, overall it was a good deal.

The only complaint I have is that the rooms are not sound proof so when people came and went I could hear everything outside my door! Then in the morning at 6am the garbage trucks or whatever they were you could hear from the balcony.. quite disruptive but that was only on a Wednesday I think. But other than that I was still feeling that it was great value place.

Also, it was around the corner from Miss Chu's which was the best lemongrass beef vermicilli that I highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank-you for your feedback; I am pleased you feel you received value for money during your stay with us. Unfortunately, given our central CBD location there can at times be some street noise; we are aware of this issue and always do our best to allocate apartments on the highest level possible to try to minimise disruption to our guests. We are always looking for ways in which to improve guest satisfaction and will make a note of your comments for future discussion. I am glad to hear you found the wonderful Miss Chu's - it is a very popular place for lunch amongst our team and the lemongrass beef is a fantastic choice. Thank-you again for your review, I hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us when you are next in Melbourne.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Should be renamed 'House of the Slamming Doors'. All room entry doors are fitted with a cheap fire safety door closer that SLAMS the door shut whenever you open or close it with an almighty bang. This means that whenever the first person in your corridor gets up, that's when you're getting up too. Whenever the last person to arrive back at night comes in, that's when you're getting woken up.

The cheap motif continues throughout the interior. The rooms are tiny, and the bathroom looks like it was fitted as an afterthought. The cheapo towel rails are fitted so close to the wall you can barely jam your towel in there, the sliding aluminum door provides no insulation to the rest of the room, the TV remove is cheap and nasty and barely works, etc etc.

On the plus side, the rooms are newish and clean, the location is good, wi-fi is free and the breakfast is ok.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and for notifying us of areas in which we can improve our product; I will review these comments with our engineering department to discuss how we can reduce the noise from the opening/closing of apartment doors and also review the towel rack positioning. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the provision of complimentary Wi-Fi during your stay, and that you found our newly refurbished apartments clean and well located. Again, thank-you for your feedback we would be happy to welcome you back as our guest should you chose to stay with us again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed here on a Sunday through Wed. The room had was very clean and modern, and we had a balcony overlooking the city. It's in a good location as it is close to a lot of things in the CBD, a nice little stroll all the way down to the Gardens. The only downfall was that the door to the hallway is very thin so you could hear the housekeeping cleaning the other units. The good thing is that they don't start until 9. The breakfast was decent, eggs, bacon, beans some fruit and toast, but after 3 days of the same thing you need a little change.

I would stay here again if I had to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to review our property; I am glad you found your apartment clean & modern and well located. With regards to breakfast, we are currently making changes in this area and will soon be offering guests the choice of buffet or a-la-carte with a new menu to be introduced in March 2013. We believe this will provide our guests with some variety when staying for longer periods of time. I hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again in the future.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 10 day stay in Melbourne. On the recommendation of a friend, we stayed at Fraser place in the CBD. Taxi from the airport was $65 including tip. Fraser place is situated in a small lane off La Trobe St at the Northern end of the CBD. The free City Circle tram goes past regularly for transport around if you know where you are going but is a long ride if you decide to take the whole trip. We arrived on Australia Day weekend and unfortunately for us the domestic staff had Sunday and Monday off, in fact, they seemed to be hard to locate over much of our stay. I would say our room was serviced less than half the days we were there.
If you read the details of the property through WOTIF, you will notice that they advise you to ask if you want a room with a balcony. I was unfortunate enough to book an Executive King apartment through the government travel booking service and was not advised of this so we were provided with a room that had no balcony but sliding doors that did not open but had wooden 'bars' outside. Presumably to prevent people falling to their death.
Be advised of this if intending to book here.
Also on the weekend we were first here, little was open in the way of restaurants or coffee houses - disappointing because what do people go to Melbourne for?
Fraser Place is only a 10 minute walk to Lygon St but too bad if it's Winter.
Also it is close to Queen Vic market and the Old Melbourne Jail so you can tick them off your list if staying there.
Rate includes WiFi and there is an in-room safe.
They do have disabled access.
Breakfast was OK - coffee awful and that means a lot to me as a coffee drinker. I often chose to pay for breakfast elsewhere as I couldn't face the coffee.
Personally, I will be returning to South Yarra or St Kilda on my next visit in November.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony. Make sure those cleaners clean your room - maybe I'm paranoid but I'm cer...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to share your experience of Fraser Place Melbourne with the wider TripAdvisor community. I am concerned to read your comments regarding the lack of housekeeping during your stay and will certainly investigate this matter with our operations and housekeeping departments. I can confirm however that as stated on our website, and all online booking sites, that our housekeeping service is offered Monday to Saturday only, we do not service on Sunday or Public Holidays which would explain why on three occasions during your stay your room was not serviced.

It is a shame you found the city a little quieter than usual during the weekend of your arrival, Australia Day long weekend, and how this may have been inconvenient to you. As you mention however, we are very well situated to many nearby culinary precincts including China Town, Lygon Street & Vic Market.

With regards to breakfast, we are currently making changes in this area and will soon be offering guests the choice of buffet or a-la-carte with a new menu to be introduced in March 2013. We believe this will provide our guests with the opportunity to enjoy a simple breakfast or something a little more substantial. I am also happy to confirm we purchased and installed a brand new coffee machine last week, the feedback we are receiving about the quality of the product is very positive.

I do hope with the improvements we have implemented you will reconsider staying with us again during your visit to Melbourne in November.
Jakarta Selatan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I just stayed there for 8 nights, better not to pay for breakfast deal. They have nice coffee around corner called Trunk Diner and Laksa Resto at the same block. Good space of room and the more important thing, free wifi & they serve ashtray in the balcony, perfect!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
FPM_Management, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Thank-you for your comments; I am pleased you were able to enjoy some of the many nearby restaurants, bars and cafes. It is also good to know that our complimentary Wi-Fi was of convenience to you. I hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again during your next visit to Melbourne.

Been to Fraser Place Melbourne? Share your experiences!