“Great Stay in the CBD” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Melbourne
“Great Stay in the CBD”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had two awful experiences in Melbourne (cheap dirty hostels) and decided the little bit of extra money was well worth it. I paid 36 bucks to sleep in a 2-share dorm, which is actually not a bad price at all.

Reception was so friendly, let me check into my room earlier than normal, and all four people I dealt with over my three nights were happy to answer any and every question - just what you want in reception staff.

The facilities (kitchen and bathroom) were exceptionally clean. There was a cleaning schedule where you could see that someone had been through and thoroughly cleaned everything. I didn't even mind walking around in bare feet.

My room was also super clean and comfortable, although there is no air conditioning, I was lucky and stayed when the summer nights were cooling down so it was comfortable to sleep! I don't know if it was just two-share rooms or all the rooms, but I was provided with a clean towel as well free of charge! It was a good change from my shammy travel towel!

I do warn other backpackers that this may not be the place for you to stay - it is NOT a party hostel, and that is my kind of place as I enjoy seeing the city and not my pillow during the day light hours. It's very quiet, apart from the CBD noise (what do you expect being right downtown, 10 minute walk to Federation Square and City Circle Trams right outside your door... I mean to say this is an ideal location!).

If I ever make my way back to Melbourne, I will totally stay here again :) but book early friends, because it's a popular place to stay! I sadly was unable to stay two extra nights after my first three were over!

Room Tip: I would guess that rooms that face the other buildings would be better. Mine was on the front so I g...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
hobart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed now at this property on about 5 occasions and keep coming back.
I usually book a 3 bed dorm exclusive for myself and my 2 sons when we attend the Grand Prix or Melbourne Cup weekends.
Reception staff are always friendly and helpful, the rooms and toilet/showers very clean.
There are lockers now on the 5th floor to leave your gear for a small fee.
Great outdoor area on the roof and good kitchens.
Can be a bit noisy, especially early morning when the rubbish trucks arrive.
There is also a cafe next door which serves a great breaky and plenty of pubs nearby to service the backpacker market. Trams leave outside door.
King Street and its clubs are 5 minute walk away as is the casino and Southern cross station.
Cant go wrong

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the right hand side of the property (as you look at it from the street) next to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Well located, just a few blocks from southern cross station (airbus, train), walking distance from southbank, federation square, main streets in city, flinders station. At federation square can catch the turist bus a hop on and off different places in the city like queen victoria market or botanical gardens.
The hostel is clean and safe, good toilets and showers, linen is provided and there is lockers in the room.
The big problem: no air conditioned..hot, hot, hot..imposible to sleep. Just a fan in the room poorly located.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here with two friends in a triple. I haven't stayed in a hostel such as this one in the past 20 years so I was not sure what to expect. Our room was very clean and comfortable and it was a better option than the Econolodge City Square that I had stayed in solo by myself the night before. The hotel is centrally located to the bus station where you can pick up the Skybus to the airport (least expensive way to get to and from the airport to the city center). There is a reasonably priced wifi option and paid locker storage in a room on the roof top. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

The staff were so sweet and helpful.
The rooms and bathrooms were in great condition. Kitchen nice and clean.
I loved staying there, it was a bit expensive for me so I could only stay there for two nights.

• Stayed March 2013
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

After staying the Sydney harbour yha, this one is a bit older and quite noisy from the street and also inside the hostel. Simple rooms, clean bathroom but fantastic location to explore the vibrant lanes of the cbd.

Paying such an amount for a private room and bathroom, I would expect a little bit more even though it is a hostel. I prefer the yha Sydney harbour as the ideal budget accommodation.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Melinda S, Marketing Coordinator at Melbourne Central YHA, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thanks for your review ohbarlow. YHA takes all of the reviews seriously and we appreciate your feedback.
Melbourne Central YHA is a heritage building - so it is quite old and when it was renovated we were unable to make any drastic changes to the structure, but we are glad to hear you were happy with the location of the hostel.
Sydney Harbour is a great hostel and also a lot newer in a modern building only opening in 2009, it is also located away from the traffic, being quieter than Melbourne Central.
We appreciate your feedback on all of our properties and we hope to see you again at another YHA.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I've been to about 10 YHAs around Australia and NZ, and this was my least favourite. Let me preface this review by saying that the hostel itself is reasonable – it's clean enough, and the location is great. The common areas aren't the best I've experienced at a YHA, and the kitchen (at least on the 2nd level) is relatively small and average.

Most of my complaints are about the room – number 203. It's a double room, & the size is standard across pretty much all YHAs I've visited, so no problems there. It also had a small balcony, which was nice, though there wasn't a seat out there & you could see in to the neighbouring room when standing out there. However, it's unbearably loud at night time in this room. It faces the road, and it's unbelievable how much noise comes through the balcony door when it is shut. It desperately needs glazed windows or something, because even with earplugs in it was difficult to sleep. Definitely get earplugs from reception btw.

I'm not sure if it's just this room, or because of the balcony combined with rain, but there was also a mosquito infestation by the second day of our stay, which wasn't pleasant. The balcony has no fly screen, so it needs to stay closed.

Overall, the experience was average. I doubt I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room that faces Flinders St!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Melbourne Central YHA? Share your experiences!