“Finally, somewhere that gets it right” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Melbourne South Wharf

Save Saved
You added Hilton Melbourne South Wharf to your Saves list
Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Convention Centre Place | South Wharf, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #12 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Australia
“Finally, somewhere that gets it right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Great location for Docklands, city, South Bank, Conference Centre and the trendy city bayside suburbs eg. St Kilda, South Melbourne. Rooms new and very well appointed, large bathrooms, good luggage and wardrobe space and the blind that makes the room black/dark until you decide it's daytime should be in every hotel room! Quite hotel and the staff have clearly been educated in the art of hospitality. I checked TripAdvisor before I booked and everyone is right, the breakfast is outstanding - the Food and Beverage manager here rocks although there is a little room for improvement in the tapas restaurant/bar. We travel a lot and this hotel is one of the few experiences that remind you that your expectations of 5 star venues, hospitality and F&B are not unreasonable, they are just so rarely met. Well done Hilton South Wharf, would recommend you over all the Crown franchise options available nearby.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

1,515 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I booked online for an overnight stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Though we normally stay in other hotels around the southbank area, I thought I would give this a try as it was new and looked very inviting. Our experience was truly great, from the time we drove up to the door till we left we were treated to such great service that I would recommend this hotel to everyone. The receptionist on finding out in conversation that it was our anniversary upgraded our room and left a bottle of wine with chocolates in our room which was a great surprise. Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010 via mobile

Everyone should experience being a tourist in their own city, staying at the Hilton South Wharf made it a pleasure. The dinning was excellent and the view of the city by night was beautiful making our experience a very romantic weekend.

• Stayed April 2010
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

This night was a surprise for Julie's birthday, but the night became a surprise for us both. The decor within Hotel and our room was beautiful, and that view, WOW! We had a view east up the river towards Crown. At night it was like a post card. It took or breath away. The staff all had a interest in making our stay very welcome. A special thanks all the guys that took good care of our vehicle whilst valid parked. Cheers Rob and Julie.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

My husband is a diamond member of Hilton and I am a gold member, so we do stay in Hilton Hotels on a regular basis.

My view of this hotel is that it is in a very convenient location (I walked to Collins Street each day) and the interiors are impressive. However there is alot of competition in Melbourne and there is no reason to stay at a hotel with poor service and hence the reason I am recommending that you consider elsewhere. I appreciate that sometimes things go wrong during a trip, however the lack of improvement after giving feedback is probably the reason I would say consider elsewhere before deciding to stay.

Lets start with the positives:-
I stayed on the executive floor. The design of the hotel, the rooms, the style and interior design is fantastic, really good to see the tastefulness. Felt like I was in a very large apartment rather than a hotel room. Bathrooms are really good with shower and separate bath. Beds are really comfortable. The executive floor for breakfast and evening nibbles is well laid out (if not a little impersonal) and the service was friendly and helpful there. I used the gym and it was really well equipped, including towels and water.

The negatives:-
There appeared to be confusion over my booking even though I clarified when booking and also telephoned the day before my arrival to check that everything was okay.
I returned to the hotel one evening to find that my room had not been cleaned.
Bathroom anemities were not replaced when they were used;
Water was not replaced, requested newspaper was not provided.
Alot of noise from the floor above, insulation not great.
Room service really poor. Sent dessert back as it was cold. The next evening I had a pasta which was presented badly, tasted just as bad and laden with parmesan, so you could not taste anything else.

I sent the hotel manager an email after my first night of issues and he did not follow up with me, even though I stayed for five nights.

Overall if they can improve their service, you would find it difficult to fault this hotel, unfortunately it has a long way to go at this point, so I am likely to go elsewhere next time I am in Melbourne.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights, as I was attending a conference next door. I have to say excellent location for the Convention centre, especially in winter, as you didn't even have to go outside in the cold.
I had a twin room, looking towards the bay. I loved the bathroom, having a separate shower, bath and toilet.
Good breakfast included, I am happy when I can have an omelette cooked to order.
The concierge ordered a car to take me to the airport, which was cheaper than the taxi from the airport, and made it very easy.
Would stay again, and would like time to go to DFO.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010 via mobile

Loved this hotel! Modern and tasteful. Staff were excellent - very courteous and friendly. The room was amazing - very clean, comfortable, great views and the best bed I've ever slept in. Handy location - next to the DFO and convention centre. Southbank restraunts & Casino within walking distance. City just across the river. Worth every penny!

• Stayed May 2010

Been to Hilton Melbourne South Wharf? Share your experiences!