“Clean, modern, friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Melbourne South Wharf

Save Saved
You added Hilton Melbourne South Wharf to your Saves list
Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Convention Centre Place | South Wharf, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #14 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Basel, Switzerland
“Clean, modern, friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

To say it upfront: the hotel is a very very good one, but I did not give full points because there IS NO FREE INTERNET. This is a joke nowadays!
Location: At Southwharf, close to city center. Next to a nice river promenade, just a couple a minutes walk to lots of great restaurants and shops. Close to Crown Entertainment Center (where you can find cinemas). I had a room on 1, 1th floor, overseeing downtown, beautiful view, especially at night.
Room: Big enough, very clean, modern, good desk space, comfortable bed. Separate bathtub and shower (something that I prefer over the American solution of having a shower standing in a bathtub). Minibar provides free Lavazza (!) coffee and a Bodum French Press coffee maker - a small but welcome difference.
Breakfast: well sorted, high quality fresh products: continental and "full" (i.e. English) breakfast. Swift and friendly restaurantstaff. Did not try room service, but heard from a colleague that he was very satisfied.
Staff friendly, helpful and quick. Had late check-in and some special requests, no problem at all.

All in all: one of the better business hotels I've experienced (stayed four nights), and it would be perfect if they had free internet. Will come back when back to Melbourne, and I recommend it warmly.

Room Tip: High up with city view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

I really appreciate your review.

Thank you ever so much for sharing your positive experience with your fellow travelers. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and our friendly staff looked after you well.

With regards to your comments about internet, I will certainly discuss your concerns with our Senior Management Team.

Hope to see you soon. Safe travels

1,687 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Wow... this hotel is why I am loyal to HILTON - and I am a Gold Level. So, here is my story. Had a conference at the CROWN and originally had my rooms booked there. Could not check in there the night I arrived so I stayed at this Hilton. They gave me a high floor and end room with a beautiful view. The bedding was FANTASTIC (unlike UK bedding that is horrible)... and the Modern touches (Power blinds, hideaway bathroom) made the room luxurious.

Being a GOLD member, I accessed the executive floor for some hors d'ourves and drinks. Great layout and excellent selection. Had a nice glass of wine, some brie and went to bed. When I awoke the next morning, I went down to breakfast. This was one of the best breakfast/buffets I have ever seen. The selection and most importantly, the taste of the food was great. (My omelette was as good as if I had cooked it at home). I was thoroughly impressed by my stay but alas, I had to check out and move to the CROWN Promenade.

(See full Review of Promenade)... After checking in and getting my room, I quickly learned that Internet access was $25/day and Breakfast was $30/day. Well, after an extra $60 in expenses that were included with HILTON (due to GOLD status) I immediately notified the front desk that I would be checking out tomorrow. AS well, the HITLON has HARDWIRE connections (instead of wifi) and I prefer that always over wifi.

I was so unhappy at the Crown I called the Hilton and begged for my room back... a task very easy and they were more than willing to accommodate. I packed everything up and moved back to the HILTON to spend the remaining 4 nights here.

This hotel has great facilities (no pool); exceptional staff, and great restaurant. This hotel will keep me choosing HILTON.

Oh, the BAD: The TV sucks... There is no Channel displayed, no guide and it takes seconds to change channels. As much as this could improve, it certainly will not stop me from coming back. As a matter of fact, with the bedding so comfortable, I just fell asleep anyway. OH, that is another thing - NO SLEEP TIMER on the TV... that is important. Fix that and this HILTON will be a perfect 10!

Room Tip: CIty View and HIgh floor is a fantastic view... HAving GOLD or better status helps!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with your fellow travelers.

I appreciate your detailed review and have shared your comments with my Team.

I was really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for your loyalty to the Hilton brand.

Hope to see you return soon! Safe travels

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Four of us spent a very pleasant long weekend in an apartment on the 18th floor. Lovely spacious modern apartment which was maintained to a high standard every day by housekeeping (regardless of what time we vacated the apartment!!!) Plenty of clean towels, dressing gowns, slippers and lovely toiletries replenished which are all little things but help to make a very good impression overall. Beds were very comfortable and nice strong power shower (although I must mention that one of our party couldnt get hot water at about midnight for a shower)

I should also mention the beautiful views from the huge windows particularly at night when the city is lit up. We spent a lovely few evenings drinking a nice bottle of wine taking in the views of Melbourne from our sitting room.

Overall we were very happy with our temporary home in Melbourne and would stay there again. Perfect for a weekend with friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review.

Glad to read that you enjoyed your room and the views of the city.

We hope to see you soon on your next visit to Melbourne.

Wodonga, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My partner myself and our 5yr old son recently enjoyed a lovely nights stay over in the Hilton South Warf, the rooms where lovely and clean and had everything available one would need. Room service was prompt and of great quality along with any assistance we required, have recommended to friends as location,service from staff and DFO next door was all fantastic. Look forward to staying at Hilton Southwarf again very soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

I was very happy to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay, especially our hotel rooms and the customer service of our staff .

We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was very dissappointed with my stay at the Hilton South Wharf. The service was poor the rooms average. The pillows were the worst I have encountered. The remote for the television did not work. The magic Button to contact reception was a joke and after going down stairs we were advised there was only one person working and they were very busy.For $534 a night it was very poor value I stay in Melbourne often and this was my fist and last stay at the Hilton it just doesn't compare to were I usually stay but wanted to be close to convention centre. Dined at Nuevo37 it was slow, overcooked and overpriced.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

On behalf of my Team I would like to apologize for the disappointment you experienced during your stay. We strive to offer quality products and services which on this occasion we have failed to deliver.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be happy to discuss your experience in detail with you.

Hope this one off experience will not change your decision to stay with us in the future.

Looking forward to hear from you

Toowoomba, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Here for the Melbourne Annual Gift fair and this is my choice of Hotels . Close to convention centre, beds comfy after a big day and room service is great. Room service yummy and speedy which was great after a late night check in. The rooms are so quiet

Room Tip: We are in a family room, no view of the city but only here to sleep. Rates are great for the demand...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for sharing your 10/10 experience with your fellow travelers.

I’m so glad you enjoyed you stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Safe travels…

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Thankyou Hilton for providing a great place to stay and work though too brief. The first hotel in Australia I have stayed in where I couldn't hear traffic ,people banging doors, loud staff and guests in hallways.The staff were happy,polite and helpful.
I stayed in the 15th floor Yarra Suite,a spacious apartment like and cleverly designed large space with floor to ceiling windows with sunshine pouring in over the Yarra river.I could see the ocean from the bathtub and the bathroom was enormous! I could have slept in the walk in wardrobe too..
The bed was soo comfy but I didn't get to sleep for long due to such early work starts .The foyer was very welcoming with lots of timber and colourful paintings on exhibition. I didn't use the facilities nor the bars or restaurants. I ordered room service that was quick but my food wasn't that great.
I was amazed at how quiet and intimate this hotel felt as its large and attached to the convention centre.
I hope I can get back there again .Shame it doesn't have a pool also.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for sharing your 10/10 experience with your fellow travelers.

Safe travels…

Rupert Hallam, Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton Melbourne South Wharf? Share your experiences!