“Bad customer service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Melbourne South Wharf

You added Hilton Melbourne South Wharf to your Saves list
Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Convention Centre Place | South Wharf, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save
Ranked #15 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Ashford, Kent
“Bad customer service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in September 2012 as part of our honeymoon to Australia. It was my wife's birthday during our stay here. I had ordered a cake for her in advance (several months). On the day of her birthday we had gone out at midday and returned about 9.30pm. When we got back to the room the cake wasn't there, we had no message either to let us know where the cake was. Went down to the front desk and complained. The first person I spoke to was extremely rude and did not apologise for the lack of communication. I asked to speak to the duty manager, Celeste, whom to her credit was extremely apologetic and helpful. We did get upgraded the next night but this whole experience spoilt my stay here. Otherwise it is a very nice hotel. The only downsides are a lack of swimming pool and the walk to the city centre which takes about 15 minutes. We also had a mix up on the final day in that the bell men did not order us the right bus to the airport and so we had to get a taxi to the station which cost us extra expense. Some of the staff here need customer service training!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Korean first
Where to next?
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, especially if you are attending an event at the Convention Centre, which is in the same building. The hotel is modern, tastefully appointed and well located. My only annoyance, which is not exclusive to this particular property, is the TV system: it took absolutely ages to change the channels, and every time you switched on the TV the default volume was full blast, which was irritating and presumably annoying to my neighbours late at night. Many hotel chains are falling into the trap of introducing overly complicated TV systems... This won't stop me from coming back to this Hilton property though.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased you enjoyed our service and facilities throughout your stay.

We deeply regret any inconvenience caused by the TVs.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we hope you will visit us again soon .
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I'm a Hilton HHonors Diamond member and have stayed at a lot of Hiltons, but Hilton South Wharf is one of my favourites, and the only place I stay in Melbourne now.

This is a (relatively) new hotel, and the hotel looks good - it has a brown colour scheme that can be a bit dark inside and when you enter the "steel wool" artwork is either awe-inspiring or interesting or just odd.

Rooms are large, comfortable and well appointed. The floor-to-roof windows out looking to the city are incredible. The Executive Lounge (if you have access) is huge and has lovely views of the Yarra River and the city of Melbourne. Breakfast in the lounge is the best Executive Lounge breakfast I've had in a Hilton, and the buffet breakfast in Neuvo37 (their restaurant) is one of the most outstanding breakfasts I've had in a hotel. A fruit juicer and spoon-it-yourself-from-the-honeycomb honey are the standout parts of this breakfast, but all the usual choices are there, with outstanding coffee.

Where I think Hilton South Wharf excels is the staff. Staff around the hotel recognise me and my partner and even remember our favourite drinks and even have brought up bits of conversation from past stays. This was exceptional! When I was entertaining a couple of friends in my hotel room and wanted to make them a coffee with the coffee machine, but I couldn't get the coffee machine to work, I was told an engineer would be dispatched within half an hour (it was before 8am), but the agent at Guest Services offered to arrange a series of barista coffees to be send up to the room immediately and at no cost. This is a case of going above and beyond to fix problems and it's a hallmark of my stays at Hilton South Wharf. Nothing is a bother to them and you just feel like they're doing everything to make your stay exceptional.

If there's one fault, it's the position of the hotel. It's a 10 minute walk to Southern Cross station and about 5 minutes from trams, but getting here by car or taxi can be challenging during peak hours. There is also no pool at this hotel. However, these are minor things for a hotel that looks after you from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave, and provides you with fantastic food, great service, and smiles all the time.

That's what keeps me coming back.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view room - the views of the city are far more spectacular.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The hotel as such is nice, the location is okay (15 minutes walk to the city, but why not), the rooms are well-fitted, and the views are great. I had a convention right there, so this was a convenient stay. Great breakfast. I had asked for a room with one big bed but they were only able to offer me one with two, which made for a cluttered space; too bad, but in the end, one can live with that. A pity that a modern hotel of this level doesn’t have any pool, which is especially needed for a place catering to a significant extent to a conference clientèle.

However, for me the stay was maximally three points out of five, because the prices for internet access and laundry are really simply extortionist – they are not about covering costs, nor about co-financing, but just bizarrely high, and due to my schedule, I was forced to use both. In addition, I did access internet via the Skype wifi service for most of my stay, but was charged by the service provider of the hotel as well. Voicing my anger to the reception, I was told to get in touch first with Skype and then with the provider, but, notwithstanding the Australian proclivity to outsource everything under the sun, if this is the hotel wifi and billed via the hotel bill, the hotel can’t absolve itself from all responsibilities. The laundry bill at least made for a good anecdote; new clothes of basic quality from the outlet mall next door would actually have been cheaper.

All this sounds minor, but it spoilt my stay, as one had the opposite feeling of genuine hospitality. When back in Melbourne, in spite of views and breakfast, I will avoid this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tilba Tilba, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few times in the past. It had been around 18 months since my last visit, and I had felt that the service standard had slipped some what.

The service at this hotel used to be incredible. The hotel is still a very beautiful property, and has very good service overall, but it just didn't have the magic it had in the past.

I found our check-in to be very disorganised, and our bags were lost for a time, as they were in a different room etc-- which left an impression of slight chaos. I'm a diamond guest, and stay so often at Hilton Sydney, and really felt the reception at South wharf lacked the same professionalism as Hilton Sydney. It was a little disappointing.

I stayed in a two bedroom Suite (upgrade from Yarra Suite) -- I have stayed in the relaxation suite before, which is such a spectacular room. The Two bedroom suite, though the lounge room has amazing views, overall feels very cramped, and pokey, and the bedrooms are very dark and small. I wouldn't want to stay in this room again. I probably would have preferred the original booked room type, as the design of the room would have been more pleasing than the two bedroom apartment for myself.

The executive lounge, was lovely as always, and the staff there were very welcoming and helpful.

Overall, I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel, and maybe they were just having a bad day the day I checked in... The hotel is very beautiful, with great design and views.

Room Tip: The Two Bedroom Suite is a bit small and pokey -- Relaxation Suite or Guest rooms are great.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Turku, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was attending an aerospace medical congress at the convention center and stayed at the hotel with my wife. I found the room to be of good quality and clean. However, when we checked in the receptionist first could not find our reservation which was made by the congress organization. I also got the impression that the receptionist's level of mastering the english language was not very high. I would have liked the personnel in the lobby to greet me when I walk through the lobby. This happened, however, quite seldom.

In my opinion in the class of this hotel the internet should be free of charge in the rooms. I understood that this is the case in the executive rooms but not in the others. The pricing of the internet in the room was excessive though internet in the lobby was free of charge. We are not paying separately for the water or illumination or other utilities in the hotel room. Why should we pay for the internet which I see belonging to the same category.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Hi,

I stayed back here in August to celebrate my birthday, I live in Melbourne and have stayed at HSW many times to get away from it all.

I normally love the hotel but this time I was left disapointed. On check in I was asked why I was staying and I advised to celebrate my birthday, with that they said they would send something up, that never come.

I was staying in a exec room and a hilton member, and had access to the lounge. I went up for drinks and found the lounge very very full, I think a look of people had been upgraded and it spoiled it, because of this service was not up to par as they were very busy.

I am sure I will stay again but it was not up to it normal standard. I hope it is better next time.

C Weston

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.

I was very disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and we deeply regret any inconvenience caused as a result of the issues you experienced.

At Hilton, we highly value all our guests' feedback and in order for us to investigate the matter in further detail, I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me directly.

Thank you again for your time.

Been to Hilton Melbourne South Wharf? Share your experiences!