I won a complimentary night's stay at Hilton South Wharf and decided to use it for a staycation - weekend stay in your own city.
My late check in after the AFL on a Friday night wasn't a problem, however when I drove up to the entrance there was no porter/concierge to take the car, so parked it in the DFO car park across the road (at $28 for the night). And as we approached the hotel entrance, even though we only had overnight bags, no one offered to take them for us. Small touches of service that can make all the difference between a good hotel experience and a great one.
Check in was smooth even though we waited 10mins for the couple in front of us to drunkenly giggle their way through booking a room. Was slightly entertaining but a tad irritating knowing that we'd be swift.
Once at our room, it took a few minutes of hunting and a phone call to guest services to figure out how to open the block out blinds. Once we did, we were enamoured with the view of Melbourne's skyline all lit up.
The room (king delux) was spacious with all the modern amenities you'd expect from a new, big hotel. And the TV was a decent size - hooray!
The bathroom was also spacious, with big bath tub (not quite big enough for two people who are both 6ft+) and shower (big enough for two!), and delicious bath products.
The bed was heavenly. Big, soft, luxurious. There's also a pillow menu so you can choose your preferred comfort/support.
The block out curtains are exceptionally effective! We slept right through til 10am and had to get up in a mad rush to shower for breakfast and get down to the restaurant before it finished at 11am.
Breakfast buffets usually don't float my boat, but everything was presented beautifully. Lots of choice, and if there wasn't something offered you could just order it at no extra charge - omlettes, waffles, eggs Benedict. Yum!
The only thing that lets the hotel down is location. There's nothing really directly next to it (South Wharf DFO not the best shopping in Melbourne) but most things are a short stroll, like Crown and the CBD.
I'll definitely be recommended Hilton South Wharf to out of towners and if the opportunity arises, will be back here myself!
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Melbourne South Wharf Hotel
- Hilton Melbourne South Wharf Hotel Melbourne
- Hilton Melbourne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Synonymous with quality, service, and style, Hilton offers the best of Melbourne.Immerse yourself in riverside cool that is the innovative Hilton Melbourne South Wharf. This upper upscale hotel is located in dynamic South Wharf Promenade and only a short stroll to the CBD, Docklands, Southbank dining precinct and Etihad Stadium - and beside the premium DFO South Wharf. The hotel offers spectacular city views, and mouth-watering dining and drinking options at Nuevo37 restaurant and Sotano Wine + Tapas bar. It has sophisticated private event spaces, and a unique conference offering with partner Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre. •Stylish riverside hotel on South Wharf Promenade, next to DFO South Wharf•Internal access via first floor link to Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre•Executive Lounge with outdoor terrace•396 generous rooms with spectacular views of the city or bay•60 Executive rooms and 54 Yarra, Relaxation and Two-Bedroom Suites•Four-point bathrooms with Peter Thomas Roth® amenities•Sophisticated Nuevo37 restaurant•Authentic Sotano Wine + Tapas Bar•Casual all-day Caffè Cino•24-hour Hilton Fitness by Precor® ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hilton EMEA, Agoda, Tingo, getaroom.com and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Hilton Melbourne South Wharf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.