“Overpriced at $130.00 per head” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Melbourne River Cruises

Melbourne River Cruises
Southgate Arts & Leisure Landing | Lower Promenade Berth 5, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Southbank)
+61 3 8610 2600
Ranked #158 of 283 Activities in Melbourne
Type: Tours, Adventure
Melbourne, Australia
32 attraction reviews
“Overpriced at $130.00 per head”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We went for a special family event 50 years in Australia, $130.00 per head, the boat was very full with little room to move and very noisy. Our $130 included a 4 course meal with all drinks included and tea.coffee, chocolates and liquer and port. Entree 3 small dishes 1.2 prawns & noodles, 2. chilli vegi strips, 3. meat (duck) with lentils. Main - pork chop on sweet potato mash was very tasty, but no extra vegies on plate, dessert were small (suet style pastry) cakes with custard and berry & little chocolate mousse cake & small lemon meringue cake, on same plate 3 small thin pieces of cheese, water crackers, 3 dried apricots and a few nuts, this was shared by 4 adults, still trying to work out the 4 COURSES. Also included in the price of $130.00 was tea/coffee. chocolates and port/liquer we DID NOT receive this nor were we asked if we would like to have tea/coffee etc. When I approached a waiter and asked why we did not receive tea/coffee etc. he told me we didnt ask for it. I explained that this was part of our menu and was included in the price and it was not my job to ask it should have been bought to the table after the dessert was given. I feel that we were RIPPED OFF, it definately was not worth the money paid. The cruise was going round in circles for the 2 hours, the next hour we managed to go a little further, no commentary was given and we the heavy perspex blinds (which you needed to be sheltered from the cold wind) we could not see very much anyway. I have been now and would not bother going back or recommending this dinner cruise for the price!

Visited March 2013

• Indonesian first
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
7 attraction reviews
“Great Cruise.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Well set out boat, good crew kept us informed on what was on river banks. Also crew had good sense of humour.

Visited February 2013
“Don't waste your money !!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Where to start with this.. We paid $260 for me and my husband to go on the dinner cruise on a Friday night. When the boat turned up at the dock I wasn't sure whether to get on or not. It was old run down and dirty. Once aboard we were seated at a wonky table that we kept having to prop up against a pillar just to keep it steady. The drinks were served at a snails pace so slow that I just went to the bar and got our only to be told that it was table service, the bar staff let me have one though. (how kind). Before we even had time to drink our first drink our entree came out, poor quality food. Frozen, tasteless prawns, shredded duck that tasted a bit slimy to me (only had 1bit) and tandoori veg were over cooked. Went out on deck to see the view after entree but you could only get about 6 people on the deck so we only stayed a few minutes. Main came next. Not too bad, I had chicken and hubby had steak, they didn't cook to order though so he ended up with well done and he likes his quite rare so not good. We went upstairs then to see if the deck was any better, it was slightly as there was only a few people booked up there. Still nothing to look at unless you class the bicycle track along the river bank as an attraction, that's all there was, nothing but grass and a few boats tied up. There was no commentary along the way, no atmosphere at all. Went back down for desserts. That was the best thing about the whole experience. Check out the few photos I took, they were the highlights.. Save your money and have dinner in a nice restaurant by the river. The only time we saw Melbourne night lights was when after 1and 1/2 hours we turned around and went back . It needs some background music or commentary to at least give it some interest. Would NEVER RECOMMEND this.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
40 attraction reviews
“Not as advertised”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This new years eve cruise seemed doomed from the start. First finding the right dock with a non-informative voucher proved nearly impossible. When we asked the Melbourne river cruise rep in the booth, she both had no information and was rude about telling us so. We were told to look for the boat with yellow balloons. 10 minutes after the would be departure time the boat hadn't shown up. When what seemed to be a mislabeled boat did - the number of passengers seemed to far exceed comfort and perhaps capacity. We chose not to board and left. We couldn't imagine eatIng seafood and enjoying an open bar elbow to elbow and standing for 5 hours. What a bust.

“Not worthwhile frustrating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We went on this cruise purely because we had a two for one concession and had read the poor reviews !!! So wanted to see what the cruise was about !!

There's not much to see and very little to learn

One problem was we couldn't hear the commentary the guy giving it was driving the boat so had his back to us !!

As a result people just talked amongst themselves .....

There were two other guys on board doing nothing surely this could be done better ????

I think they should do a lot more research to make the experience more interesting

Thank goodness for the concession I wouldn't pay any more !!

Visited January 2013