“The Steaks are awesome but the Ribs are the best !” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 3,497 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill, Australian
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Rare is one of Melbourne's Premium steakhouses, with two restaurants located at either end of the CBD. The menu features 15 different cuts of quality pasture and grain fed beef, all brushed with Rare's unique basting sauce and char-grilled to perfection. Complementing its menu of beef cuts, is a mouth-watering selection of sauces and a wide variety of delicious sides. For those who prefer something other than steak, Rare offers delicious alternatives such as pork spare ribs, lamb, chicken, seafood and vegetarian dishes. Perfectly matched to the fine food is a vast selection of premium Australian red wines, boutique beers and an equally impressive cocktail menu. Knowledgeable and attentive staff create an ambience of comfort and warmth, in stylish surroundings of white clothed tables and subtle lighting, with a bustling yet unhurried feel.
Melbourne, Australia
“The Steaks are awesome but the Ribs are the best !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have been to Rare a few times.
The last time I went, friend of mine suggested Ribs and I just loved them.
They are cooked to perfection. Great taste . All the sides are fantastic here and I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sarina, Australia
“Great steaks and super clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Very enjoyable meal. Prices are on the higher side but it's what we pay in mackay for a bad steak! The food is a lot better though. Presentation was excellent and service was very good. Friendly and accommodating when we arrived with our 5 month old baby.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Superb Taste Excellent Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We were in Melbourne for a few nights and I wanted to take my wife for a good dining experience.

We both love steak, but most places in Melbourne was booked out that night.

We walked into Rare and they had one table which was not yet reserved - lucky us.

The selection of steak was amazing, you can choose from regular, angus and even wagyu.

I had the 650g Angus rib-eye with bone - excellent choice for a male with large appetite. My wife had a 350g regular eye fillet - still was a large size for her.

The meat had excellent flavour, both were medium cooked, juice were flowing off the meat as we cut it open.

The wine selection was good, and we had one of the french imported red wine with our meal.

overall it was a great experience and will highly recommend this restaurant to any steak lover.

Visited November 2013
“Great steak, ok ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Still finishing my wine as I write this. Good restaurant in an excellent mid-city location. I ate steak at Rockpool last night (yep...confirmed beef junkie!), and the Angus rib-eye at Rare was at least as good for less money. The chips at Rare were a mile better, and while the wine list was more limited, I found plenty to choose from. Overall, I am very impressed as a place to eat good beef at a reasonable price!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ballarat, Australia
“all OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The steak here is good. No problems in making that clear. And at 70 bucks it would want to be ! (am i right ?)
Is 70 bucks too much for a 400gm steak... Hmmmm.. I would have to say in this instance probably yes !
Anyway, every person on our table enjoyed the meal at Rare. The sides were great and the food service was fine.
If this site is to be used by the resturant for feedback i would ask someone from the management team to be having a very close look at the drinks service. Sllooowwwwwww...... To the point of riduclous. I did notice that sweets preparation actually occurs at the bar !! - So maybe the desserts take priority over the beverage service..?? Any-who the drinks service was not up to scratch and the owners definately could of had an extra 100 bucks out of our table !!
I think the only thing that did stand out to me as I was driving home was just that.. Nothing really stood out for me.. it was all just OK. I guess i wanted to be wowed a little more at Rare but it just didnt happen.
So from this reviewer... everything (except the drinks service) was OK.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
rochelle h, General Manager at Rare Steakhouse, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Hi Kingrox,
I am very sorry to hear that drinks service was slow when you visited Rare. You are correct - our desserts are served from our bar, however, drinks should always take priority and that is the policy which should have been followed. Our staff are trained to always make sure guests have drinks - in my opinion, if I am out for dinner, as long as I have a drink I'm happy!
We take customer feedback very seriously at Rare as it shows us the areas in which we need to improve.
I sincerely apologise for this issue during your visit, and I will be looking into this to make sure our service is always quick and efficient in the future. I am glad you enjoyed your steaks and we hope to see you again - thank you for your feedback.
Kind Regards,