“A Hidden Jewel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sakura Kaiten

Sakura Kaiten
60 Little Collins St, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Melbourne CBD)
Website
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Takeout, Buffet
Neighborhood: Melbourne CBD
“A Hidden Jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

After being over stimulated by a Graphic design students' exhibition next door, my friend and I randomly stepped into this tiny-but-cosy and busy-yet-orderly Japanese sushi restaurant.
Initially, we were offered two seats next to the sushi train. We decided to have some hot broth, so we were moved to a bigger table on the side. We shared a Chicken Curry Udon set and three dishes of sushi as entrée.

My friend hadn't had eel before, so I introduced her grilled eel sushi rolls as the first dish, she absolutely loved it. It feels great that you introduced a novel dish to others, and they love it. We also shared octopus balls(takoyaki) and samlon sashimi topped with salmon roe(ikura). The presentation of the dishes are absolutely stunning, all sushi are light and tasty. Soft and thin slice of salmon melt in your mouth, with it a few salmon roe pops open as you chew, it's just sensational. While we were seated about 1.5 metre away from the sushi train, our eyes kept turn to the flowing train, wondering which dish should be our next target to try…

In a cold autumn night, can’t think of anything better than a warm broth. Chicken curry udon soup has very subtle curry flavour, the udon noodle thick and cooked to perfection. Chicken breast pieces were marinated and grilled, not the most tender pieces, but it is still very delicious with all the rest.

We are glad to have found this hidden jewel, we had an excellent and exciting dining experience in this tiny-but-cosy and busy-yet-orderly sushi restaurant, and we are so inspired to wanting to explore many of Melbourne’s hidden lanes in order to discover more hidden jewels.

• Visited May 2012

“Fresh...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Very fresh prepared and delicious range of sushi options on offer. A good range of priced dishes always revolving around the counter, a warm and friendly atmosphere with great service.
Though it is very small so you wouldnt want to be there later than 12:30 for lunch as it get's very busy.
I'd recommend eating in a pair to share dishes and split the cost or it could get exy for a few options for 1 person.

Visited April 2012
“Wonderful best sushi train around Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012 via mobile

When in Melbourne we came to the Sakura kaiten it was so delicious you wouldnt believe. The food was fresh and as we go there quite early as the night went on a variety of food came out it was amazing I would tell everyone to go here if they get the chance!!!

Melbourne, Australia
“Incredible and delicious! An absolute must for excellent sushi and Japanese food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Sakura Kaiten is a place I've walked by several times, only to see it jam-packed with patrons. Any time I've tried to get a seat without prior reservations, the wait time has been long. That is a pretty clear indication that this place is very popular - and for good reason too!
So, I made a reservation for my friends and myself (which I recommend you do too) and we sat down to the bet sushi train we've ever been to.
Firstly, the service was fantastic, and the atmosphere is great. The place has a good vibe and the sushi train is a lot of fun!
The food was well priced - ranging from around $3.50 - $6.80 per plate, and the food was amazing. New dishes were constantly coming out onto the train and there was a very large choice, unlike some sushi trains I've been to where you see the same food over and over and over. The food servings and sushi sizes were also quite big!
The raw fish was of excellent quality, and melted in your mouth. I went with a vegetarian friend (who did eat fish) and there was plenty of vegetarian options as well as a very large selection of fish and sea-food. The sliced wagyu beef was also incredible!
Everything we ate was to a very high standard, and all of us agreed that Sakura Kaiten is now the new "old faithful" for us.
Do yourself and your tastebuds a favour; make a reservation, go there, eat and enjoy. You wont be disappointed.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent. Definitely give it a go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012 via mobile

I came here when it wasn't busy and as in any Japanese restaurant worth it's salt the service and food were outstanding. Slightly more expensive than others but the quality and service were great.

• 4 of 5 stars Food