“The apartments are in bad need of an upgrade” 1 of 5 stars

Katz Apartments
160 Little Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #97 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
melbourne
“The apartments are in bad need of an upgrade”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Mould in bathroom, need more than half a tea towel, got stuck in lifts for 20 minutes and fire bridge came to rescue us very frightened no help from emergency phone in lift,no dish washer as stated, sofa beds uncomfortable overall, complaints not taken seriously by staff.

• Stayed September 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

My family of 5 and I stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment. Our week stay was pleasant and the apartment was spacious enough for everyone to have our own space. It's a 2 minute walk from the Central Shopping Centre, and only 5 minutes from china town. It's easy to get everywhere from here.

• Stayed January 2013
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Well, this my first time to Australia, so I'm not sure whether it's over-priced or not. But as for a city with everything is so expensive, a better looking 1-br apartment costs like AUD170-190 a night, a private bedroom at hostel costs AUD100 a night, but this costs around AUD130 for a studio which I think it's quite reasonable I guess?

Location wise is very good, I stayed there for 9 nights, and basically only took tram for the last 2-3days as I was too lazy to walk around~ It's very accessible and just few blocks towards Melbourne Central, Little Bourke Street or whatever street then, basically 5-15mins you can reach lots of place within the city already~ It was a studio unit, I haven't nothing much to complaint anyways as it seems "fully-equipped" to me, everything was clean and really what mentioned in other reviews. At least my friend who came to visit me, plus myself were quite happy with the unit btw. The security was pretty with key-sensor by the main entrance followed by key-sensor in the lift which can only access to your unit-level~

The only con was the sink is too small, but however, if you brush your teeth with the cabinet-door open (which located just above the sink), it may leaves you with little extra "space" for you to move around~ And oh ya, about the AC~ I've read some bad AC reviews before that, and yet, we thought it happened to us as well~! We were kind of survive for the first 2-3nights, but guess what, there was one day I was "playing" around with the AC-remote, and figure out a way to solve it~! From that onwards, the room was in "very-cold" temperature until my friend was like "wow that's amazing" lol~ <--- So, for those who are going to stay at this place, just playing around with the AC remote (in clicking on whatever button they have), if you think it's too hot or AC is broken, you may find surprise though~

We cooked few meals in between, so we just think they should provide or guest can request (well we didn't do so) more plates/ bowls if possible~ However, it only meant for simple cooking so which is not a big deal.... Another problem to me which isn't a real problem was it takes so long to do the washing machine and dryer, it took me few hours esp the dryer, that's crazy....

Staffs were very friendly, esp. a lady named Katherine. Something happened during my inquiry with the apartment (delayed in replied after I've sent out few emails), I was quite unhappy at first till I rang them from oversea - this lady was very efficient & very good in solving problems, at least with her positive attitude in answering my enquiry and proceed with my booking very promptly as well~ Guess what, I just got everything settled and sort out just within the next 24hours~ Good job and thumbs up to this staff~

I shall stay again at this apartment if I traveled back to Melbourne again, unless I found something nicer and cheaper apartment then I might change my mind, but so far this is my first choice anyways~ Oh ya, the room I got was on the 3rd floor, facing the back of a restaurant (I think so), which makes me can't open the balcony door due to some smells and of course, afraid of the security as well... Wish I could get higher floor if I got a chance to stay again :)

ps: as mentioned in the email or website (well, I can't remember), housekeeping will only done once for a week stay and longer... guess what they done with me housekeeping? they just changed the towel whereby I do expect someone will clean the unit and mop the floor <--- probably that's what they should improve anyways :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Booked to stay here on a holiday weekend. We wanted to change the booking, giving them 3 weeks notice. They would only change on the basis they charged us for the first night as booked, which was useless. They had plenty of notice, they will obviously fill the room. Even when we explained it was for business and we would make more bookings, they would only change it without penalty if we added 2 more nights to the booking! Either way, they were going to get at least 1 night penalty out of us. Not the way to treat customers, and from other reviews on here we probably had a lucky escape, as it seems not to be clean, but grubby and small, and that fits exactly with the experience we had with them. AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont book, avoid.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

this is budget accommodation so one doesn't expect much, so it met expectations. Everything was clean enough and you had all facilities required. The bed was not comfortable, maybe because it was a Murphy bed, why it had a Murphy bed I don't know but anyway it was cheap and i was staying alone so I survived. The location however is great, right near central and all the food options of china town, and my gym.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed in Studio Plus Apartment. Best thing about this place is the location, it's very close to Chinatown and the Greek Precinct and just across the road from the QV shopping mall with a Woolworths supermarket. The receptionist was courteous and friendly although we were hit with a surprise security bond that we must have missed somewhere in our emails. As for the furnishings, the head board to our bed was broken (could have asked for it to be fixed but our stay was short) and a bedside table would have been appreciated. Our balcony was very small and part of the AC took up most of the space.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This place is very average and slightly over priced. The rooms are grubby and small. We stayed in a two bedroom superior apartment. I wouldn't ever stay here again - I don't know why I didn't read TripAdvisor before booking here! The only redeeming feature is the location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Katz Apartments? Share your experiences!