“All things nice” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Melbourne, Australia
“All things nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Sugar and spice and all things nice... as it goes. This restaurant has been on our to-do list since moving to Melbourne a year ago. Like many fine diners in Melbourne, it's a choice of early or late sittings these days and it pays to book as far in advance as possible. I suppose one downside is that a 5-course set menu (which we chose) feels a little rushed if you have only two hours. That aside, the first three dishes were simply world-class, just delightful. A coconut and carrot broth with prawns, scallops and crispy fried kale was a little bit of theatre at the table and a delight on the taste buds. Quite something. Cardamom cured salmon with salt and vinegar jelly and olive oil powder, wow. One of us usually avoids uncooked seafood. Yet, this dish drew superlative after superlative. Our waiter had helpful tips on how best to enjoy, smear the jelly over the salmon etc. The third dish kept us smiling. Billed as crispy skinned chicken leg, the chicken was already shredded and came with rice, corn and an egg over the top. We would have been happy to stop right here at this bowl of heaven. But onwards and - perhaps due to the time constraints and steady flow of food - the mains were probably more food than we needed. Yet we were right to choose the 5 course as those first three dishes were a triumph and exclusive to the 5 or 6 course menus; the 4 and 2 course offerings of less appeal to our palates. With the benefit of this, our first experience, we have filed this restaurant as somewhere to return with friends, a group destination to make the most of the various dishes. Our lamb shoulder main had a little too much fat for our liking, but we're not complaining as there was plenty of tender flavoursome meat. The barramundi had a strong flavour. My partner is a hotelier whose exec chefs over the years have shown some tricks of their own. I'm a farm boy. Both Queenslanders, at least a little learned, we politely queried the waiter on its origins and the reply was he'd never been asked that. Equally, he never returned to explain. Some farmed barramundi can taste muddy, not sure if that was the case here, but you certainly couldn't have eaten this fish as a fillet alone. It needed the ginger and almond to mask the strength of the fish in our humble opinions. And a response to our query would have been nice, but towards the end of our time the second sittings were arriving and the floor became quite busy. Desserts were nice enough, rounding out our sugar and spice and all things nice experience. We also had a great bottle of Vic chardonnay from an interesting list featuring some of this country's best labels. Make no mistake, the hero dishes here were the first three, they alone will have us savouring this experience and returning to again try the creations of a chef who is rightfully known for constantly staying on trend, ahead even. If not yet a Melbourne institution, Maha surely nearly is.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Hi Johnny,
Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts after dining with us at Maha recently. I am really happy to read that overall you thoroughly enjoyed your first Maha experience! Thanks for letting me know about the fish query - I'll be sure to have a word with the team. In regards to origin, we try to use wild barramundi however it's not aways readily available. Our menu is constantly changing, so I hope to welcome you back to Maha in the near future for another great experience.

Newcastle, Australia
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Service was spectacular, food was great.
We had the degustation and was worth every cent.
Not a pretentious space at all but atmosphere was great.
Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Hi Will,
Thanks for your kind words - I'll be sure to pass on your feedback to the team. We hope to welcome you back to Maha again soon!
Melbourne, Australia
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is a terrific restaurant and although there are many good things about it, it mainly comes down to the fact that the food is superb ! Had one of the 4 course lunch menus today and the range of dishes and the way they complemented each other was just right, it was like an education in food. (And who knew kale could be so yummy ?)
We were there for a girls' lunch and in the early part of the lunch were talking about the recent engagement news of one of the girls in the party. The waitresses picked up on this and later a special congratulatory dessert came out for the girl in question at the initiative of the staff, not arranged by us. This little anecdote is just to give an example of the quality of the service received too.
We all loved it and will definitely be back.

ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Hi Ruthie,
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. Great to read that you and your group enjoyed your 4 course lunch with us - and congrats to the betrothed! I look forward to welcoming you back to Maha again soon.
Bath UK
“MUST go here if visiting Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I'm so glad I rolled the dice and accepted the potential fallout from calling an ex to give me the details of this place. We had been there about 18 months ago, but it was following a sporting event and I don't remember much of the evening as a consequence!

The initial meeting at the bottom of the steps by what seemed to be an older, very inexperienced Caucasian waiter that not only starting looking after the people that were behind us when he seemingly couldn't compute what we had just asked of him, but he also told us we couldn't have a smoke in their purpose built Shisha pipe area!

That aside the evening went from strength to strength. Due to the exceptional lack of confidence I had in the first waiter in actually getting us a couple of G&T's I went down a spoke to one of the other staff. She was great and got us our drinks. Whilst we sat in the smoking area with a Shisha pipe having a smoke we looked after one of only two waiters that I have had in my lifetime that have really stood out as exceptional at their job. What this means is that your meal is only ever going to be better than it otherwise might be. He really looked after us and suggested the dishes that would suit our tastes and stomach volumes!

The 5 course meal was EXCEPTIONAL! The flavours were out of this world, they really were. It has to be one of the nicest meals I have ever had.

If you are ever in Melbourne, do yourself a favour and go to this place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Hi SHoweBathUK,
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. My apologies for the confusion at the start of your Maha experience, great to read that this was quickly forgotten as our team took good care of you for the remainder of your meal. Our menu is continually changing, with great new dishes to try so I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Thanks, Shane.
Shoreham, Australia
“Flavoursome and Creative!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Oh, what can I say......apart from loved it...? It was just heaven in every dish with beautiful flavours, inventive textures and surprises. The food lived up to our expectations. Smokey, crispy, creamy, crunchy, full and interesting flavour combinations. My partner and I talked about the food all night......and loved it!! Wonderful service as well. Try the Arak if you haven't before........Thank you for making our evening special.......

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Hi Joanne,
Thanks for posting your review. Great to read that you enjoyed your first Maha experience so much! I'll be sure to pass on your comments to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to Maha again soon
Cheers