“Excellent food and ambience in a great restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 3,914 Restaurants in Melbourne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Doing business, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent food and ambience in a great restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Visited last week while I was in Melbourne for a break with my partner. She told me about some restaurant she wanted to take me to and so I kindly obliged... Apparently it is owned and run by some famous chef, the name of whom I failed miserably at guessing when I was asked while sitting at the bar awaiting our seats. No, it wasn't Gordon Ramsey, but a very impressive guy called Shane Delia. Shane, I didn't know of you before, but I do now. Your food is excellent, your restaurant is fantastic, the prices are high-ish, but you pay for what you get, your staff are first class and I love the fact how you mingle with the customers - I was disappointed with one thing though. Harry Kewell was there and my partner was elated to say the least - please invite more pretty sportswomen so I can get my own back some day!

We went for the 8 course ensemble...cannot remember the name but it was nice and filling!!! How many times can you say that after leaving a top restaurant!?

Well done on a great restaurant - I will recommend to friends an colleagues and will hope to be back at some stage soon. Good work!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Hi Doscal,
Thanks for your feedback. Great to hear that you enjoyed our 8 course Sultans feast! And as for your one disappointment… be sure to let us know when you're coming in next and I will see if I can even up the score for you!

Melbourne, Australia
“Gorgeous Middle Eastern Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I was keen to go to Maha Restaurnt where the expert Middle Eastern chef, Shane Delia has designed the menu. I was not disappointed. The basement restaurant in Bond Street, Melbourne was a buzz with patrons for lunch. The head waiter was very prompt to assist me with what would be a good selection for lunch. I chose with his assistance a 2 course of Mezze plates with matching wines which would be selected by the sommelier. First course consisted of grilled olives, eggplant dip, miniature chicken balls, 2 pieces of Lebanese Bread, matched with a crisp Pinot Grigio from Tasmania. Delicious! Second Course consisted of middle Eastern lamb shank which was slow cooked and succulent, small portion of crispy skin Snapper, Babaganoush, Burghul wheat in Tomato, Matched with a Barossa Valley Shiraz with black fruit notes. The 2 Course Mezze with matching wines came to $65 which was truly worth every penny. I will return there again. Thank you Maha for providing such a lovely lunch and not at a great cost. Thank you, Russlyn Garotti.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi Russlyn,
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I'm glad to read that my team assisted you in selecting 2 courses that were thoroughly enjoyed! I hope to welcome you back to Maha again soon to enjoy some new dishes.
Alice Springs, Australia
“Impressed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

My husband and I visited Maha for a special night very recently and we're blown away. The attention to detail is outstanding.

We were splashing-out and wanted to have the full experience, so we ordered the "Sultans - 8 course experience with matched wine". No regrets!

From making the reservation, organising their private parking, to being seated early, nothing was too much to ask.

The staff are all very well trained, impeccably presented and make you feel very welcome.

Welcome drink. Each plate came out with a good explanation, and perfectly matched wine - with history about the winemaker and information on the region.

The decor is perfect, seats comfortable and everything impeccably clean. Attention to detail right down to the bathrooms - where good quality hand-wash and hand-cream gives an extra luxurious feel to the experience.

I never used to be a fan of Riesling or Rose - but with the right food, it was superb!!

We purchased a book and Shane was good enough to sign it and hand deliver it at the end of the night.

Considering we were HAPPY to part with $450 at the end of the night, I consider that a job well done.

Thank you for the experience MAHA TEAM xx

Hi My_Alice_Springs,
What a review - I'm sincerely humbled to read such words! Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts after your recent dining experience with us. Great to read your enjoyed the Sultans menu with matched wines - even the wines that you wouldn't normally choose. I hope you try your hand at some of the recipes in the book too! Looking forward to welcoming you back to Maha for another memorable night soon.
Thanks again,
Coonabarabran, Australia
“Vegetarian feast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I was visiting melbourne and desperate for a good vegetarian feed that I can not find in my own town. Maha delivered. The food was exquisite. The service attentive. Overall a fantastic experience. Thank you. I hope I can get back soon. Is a vegetarian specific book in the pipeline?

Hi Katherine,
A Vegetarian specific book? Hmmm, now there's some food for thought! Glad to read that we were not only able to provide you with the vegetarian feed you were after, but that the service and overall experience were memorable too. I hope to welcome you back for another vegetarian feast soon!
Melbourne, Australia
“A True Masterchef!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Since I can't give Maha 6 stars, they must, unfortunately, settle for a 'mere' 5. :D

My wife and I had the 4-course Sunday lunch, and it was without a doubt the best meal that we ever had. Yes, I said it: the best meal ever! The flavours, the presentation, the ambience, the service, the attention to detail, oh my, what an experience. Even the pomegranate and cherry soda was outstanding!

Not only was the bill extremely reasonable for 4 filling courses ($65pp - don't tell Shane that he can charge $100pp easy, shhh!) but they brought special courses out for my pescatarian wife, all of which she loved. And to top it all off, on our way out, we were presented with a little gift (a DIY "just add water" packet of Shane's signature Turkish delight-filled doughnuts).

I haven't mentioned the dishes themselves because they all stood out as being exceptional. It was a fantastic way for us to celebrate our wedding anniversary - made even more memorable by the sparkly dessert they brought for us.

Folks, you simply MUST experience a Maha meal: I highly recommend it.

Visited December 2013
Hi TriniAussie,
Wow - what high praise! Thank you for taking the time to share your Maha experience. Our Sunday "Spice Journey" inspired 4-course lunches are a great way to experience the Maha hospitality. I'm thrilled to read that it was the best meal you've ever had! Happy anniversary to you and your wife and I hope the take home DIY Turkish Donuts were a success! Looking forward to welcoming you back to Maha for another memorable meal.
Thanks again