“Maha magic” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Mackay, Australia
“Maha magic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We planned to take the family to Maha for a couple of years, but live nearly 2,500 km away. Then we saw Shane Delia in the pastizzi bakery in Zejtun, Malta, where our ancestors came from on "Spice Journey" and knew we had to do it.
Everything about the Familija Tieghi Sunday lunch was spectacular. September at Maha was dedicated to Lebanon for Spice Journey Sundays, yet when I mentioned our Maltese background, we were kindly treated to some delights from Malta too.
We have never experienced such amazing flavours. Every bite was delectable and savoured. Our family will treasure the memory of dining at Maha forever.

• Visited September 2013
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hi Kate,
I'm humbled to hear that you travelled so far to dine with us and that your experience here with us at Maha will be a treasured family memory. I had a lovely email from Maggie earlier this month too - so please thank her again for that! Sunday lunches will continue to have a Spice Journey Influence with dishes and inspiration from the first series, so perhaps if you're in town again soon you will be able to join us for another Spice Journey. I have just returned from Turkey where we filmed series 2 of Spice Journey, so keep an eye out on SBS next year for that!
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I greatly appreciate it and am thrilled that Maha could provide you with such a memorable experience.
Saha!
Shane

88% Recommend
Sydney, Australia
“What a taste sensation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We went with friends who had dined here before. They said the food was good but we thought it was exquisite. We chose the 6 course 'Latifa' menu. Incredible flavours just 'danced' on our tongues!
Although there was a slight hiccup after our 3rd course - they served us the same course twice, (which shouldn't happen in a restaurant of this standing) and was eventually sorted out, it didn't affect my perception of the restaurant as a whole.
I would probably have the 4 course menu next time as we were SO full!
A lovely and memorable experience.

Visited October 2013
Hi Moschi1,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your review after your recent Maha dining experience. Apologies for the slight hiccup in proceedings with your courses, but I'm pleased to read that you left happy and very full! I'm glad you enjoyed our Latifa menu - it certainly is a lot of food!
Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back again to enjoy our 4 course soufra!
Thanks, Shane.
Melbourne, Australia
“Service started off slow but for better as the evening wore on”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Very busy but lively place that is comfortable. Service started off poorly but improved over the course of the evening. Quite expensive though for the quality of the food probably worth it. Excellent beer menu and whilst I didn't try it the smoking lounge complete with hookas looked like fun.

• Visited October 2013
Hi Gerardregan,
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. While it's disappointing to hear you found that our service wasn't up to scratch on your arrival, I'm glad that it did improve. Hope you tried our Maltese Cisk from our beer menu! Cheers, Shane.
Sydney, Australia
“Really interesting and delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had the Sunday set lunch. Where to start?

Al the dishes are so creative, fresh and full of flavours and combinations.

Pickled eggplant; an egg inside a shell of lamb and chicken mince balls; delicious and simple boiled potatoes in fennel, garlic and olive oil; chicken tagine; lamb mince and barley tagine; a fish stew on a bed of pulled pork with tamarind sauce. There were many other wonderful dishes, these were just the highlights.

Fish and pork - a revelation. Another reason to love pork.

Excellent arak, mocktails, Chateau Mussar and a fine tempranillo.

Service very good even when busy as it was this day.

This is one of our favourite Melbourne spots and one of the better restaurants we've been to for the creativity of the food. Shane Delia had just returned form another trip in the mid East - can't wait to see what he comes up with next!

• Visited October 2013
Hi AMRFamily,
Great to read that you enjoyed our Sunday Spice Journey Lunch! The Boat smugglers stew with fish and pork was one of my favourite dishes from my first series of Spice Journey so I'm glad hear it was a highlight for you too. I look forward to bringing some new dishes to the menu inspired by my recent travels in Turkey so I hope we can welcome you back to Maha to take you on another Spice Journey again soon! Thanks for posting your review. Shane.
Aberdeen, Scotland
“33rd Anniversary Sunday Spice Journey to Labanon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

What a wonderful lunch. The staff are so friendly and service was perfectly timed with just enough space in between courses. The food was beautiful both in flavour and presentation and we couldn't fault anything. The slow cooked lamb was delicious and melted in the mouth. My only disappointment was that there were no signed copies of the spice journey cookbook available. Never mind, a good excuse to return for another visit and hopefully Shane will have managed to find some time in his busy schedule to sign some more copies. This is definitely the best Middle Eastern restaurant we have eaten in and a must if you live in Melbourne or are just visiting. Thanks guys for a lovely anniversary lunch!!!

• Visited September 2013
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Hi Cat,
Firstly, Happy 33rd Anniversary! Thank you for choosing to celebrate such a milestone here with us at Maha. I'm thrilled to read that you enjoyed a wonderful lunch and the food and service were both a hit. I'm currently wrapping up filming in Turkey so will be back in the restaurant soon and able to sign more books! You can always order a copy via our online store and I'll be sure to sign it for you! visit www.maharestaurant.com.au
We'd love to see you again soon at Maha! Thanks for taking the time to post your review - I appreciate it. Cheers, Shane.