“Great flavours, price is up there” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 2,867 Restaurants in Melbourne
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Adelaide, Australia
“Great flavours, price is up there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We visited Maha on a Saturday night and the place was full to bursting and consequently loud! We were seated reasonably quickly and left with a wine list for around 10 mins or so. The wine list was lengthly with stacks of imported wines on offer. The prices are not cheap. Interestingly we were not told about the option of matching wines with the set menu options, so were committed to a bottle which was opened and served before the menus had arrived meaning we missed the opportunity.

We chose the Soufra set menu, which is 4 courses. The food had plenty of flavour, and the variety was great. We had fish, duck, chicken, lamb, salad, and a dessert tasting plate. The cost of the Soufra was $75 per person.

The staff were good, although some of their "standard" lines sound so rehearsed they appear to be in autopilot, taking away from the personalised feel some what.

Overall we enjoyed it and left well fed and happy with the experience overall. Save it for a special (but not intimate or romantic) night out given the cost.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hi Dinks93,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed our 4 course Soufra menu, though I am sorry to hear that perhaps the service delivery let us down a little on this occasion. I will certainly be passing your feedback onto our service team as it's the best way to continuously improve on what we do. I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your Maha experience and I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon to show you how it should be done!
Thanks, Shane.

Auckland, New Zealand
“Excellent Food and Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Maha could be described as a Mediterranean style restaurant, in Bond St off Flinders St. Bookings are essential although we did a walk-in and were accommodated after we had reached an agreement on time limits. The service was friendly although our server spoke a little rapidly and we gained the sense that although many of the terms of art may have been intimately familiar to her they not to us. Nevertheless we made our selections and the food arrived in good time. The mezze platter was excellent and I would recommend it and certainly if you are part of a group a number of main dishes to share is the way to go at Maha.
It always grates with me when the server (a different one this time) allows the food to go cold while he or she embarks upon an intimate description of what we are eating. This smacks of arrogance because when I select food I generally study the menu carefully and have probably more experience of food than the server - certainly I have trodden the earth longer than most. It would be polite to ask the guest if he or she would like the food explained. That way the choice is up to the guest rather than having to undergo the compulsory culinary lecture.
Once we were allowed to start eating the food was excellent and I would certainly go back. There were copies of the chefs recipe book for sale and I grabbed one - I will try some Maha cooking at home - without the lecture.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words about our venue. We all take great pride in our profession and it means the world to all of us when customers such as yourself take the time to recognise our dedication and hard work. Sorry that you felt that the "lecture" by my service staff was inappropriate. As you know the soufra or shared menu is not itemised on the printed menu, therefore the wait team take the time to explain what they have placed in front of you to eat.

I agree that maybe it is a better procedure to simply ask if you would like us to explain the dishes, rather than just taking for granted that you want to be informed. This is a great suggestion and i will consider making it standard procedure for all guests, thank you.

I regards to the remark about the multiple staff serving your table, we always try to use the same "food runner" all night, but sometimes with the busy nature of Maha we call upon who ever is available to take food to our guests so the food gets to the table in the best possible standard and within a expectable timeframe.

I hope to see you at Maha again in the near future and I would like to personally meet you if possible. I will send you a private message with contact details for this purpose.

Thank you for your time. Shane
MELBOURNE
“Overly priced in a dated looking decor.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Seriously i wouldnt waste money in going to this restaurant very overpriced menu and food just average.
Decor is very dated looking and noisy at times.
As for the cocktails they are absolutely tasteless.
Much better restaurants in melbourne doing this type of food.
I wouldnt recommend and i wont be back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hi Peter G,
I am terribly sorry you found my venue dated and over priced. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it holds many forms. Obviously your eye is not in favour of my style. Thank you for the feedback regarding the cocktails and the food. My team and I constantly strive to deliver our best and I am terribly sorry that we have not lived up to your expectation. If you would like to contact me directly to discuss this matter further I am more than willing to discuss it with you. Please also feel free to contact me if you would like to come back and see what so many people love about Maha. I will do my best personally serve you. In regards to the decor, sorry, there's not much I can do about that. Everyone dresses their home differently, that's what makes us unique and special. I will send a private message with my contact details.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts,
Shane Delia
Melbourne
“Excellent food; service lacking this time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have been to Maha several times and the food has always been excellent, as it was this time. Service however, this lunch, left a lot to be desired. My colleague and I tried to get attention several times and frequently there was no waiter to be seen. They seemed to be at least 2 people down. I'm not marking it down to 3 as I've never really noticed the service problem before.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hi MelbourneDavo,
I appreciate the feedback regarding service. My team and I hold ourselves to high standards in regard to both food and service so it's always a shame to hear if we've fallen short. I will be sharing your thoughts with the team as guest feedback, both positive and negative, is a great way to continuously improve our offering. On a positive note, I am glad to hear that our food was once again excellent! Thanks for taking the time to post this review.
Cheers, Shane.
Melbourne, Australia
“the best middle eastern fine dining resteraunt in melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

went in with my wife

everything was perfect, loved the food , loved the desert.

no complaints at all.

food is full of flavours , the lamb is to die for

Shane you are awesome

thanks for a great meal

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hey Asif,
Thanks for your time to post this review. I'm always humbled to read such kind words. I hope that me and the team can welcome you back to Maha again soon for another great experience!
Cheers, Shane.