“Excellent Food and Great Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maha

Maha
21 Bond Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Central Business District)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 3,377 Restaurants in Melbourne
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Auckland, New Zealand
“Excellent Food and Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Maha could be described as a Mediterranean style restaurant, in Bond St off Flinders St. Bookings are essential although we did a walk-in and were accommodated after we had reached an agreement on time limits. The service was friendly although our server spoke a little rapidly and we gained the sense that although many of the terms of art may have been intimately familiar to her they not to us. Nevertheless we made our selections and the food arrived in good time. The mezze platter was excellent and I would recommend it and certainly if you are part of a group a number of main dishes to share is the way to go at Maha.
It always grates with me when the server (a different one this time) allows the food to go cold while he or she embarks upon an intimate description of what we are eating. This smacks of arrogance because when I select food I generally study the menu carefully and have probably more experience of food than the server - certainly I have trodden the earth longer than most. It would be polite to ask the guest if he or she would like the food explained. That way the choice is up to the guest rather than having to undergo the compulsory culinary lecture.
Once we were allowed to start eating the food was excellent and I would certainly go back. There were copies of the chefs recipe book for sale and I grabbed one - I will try some Maha cooking at home - without the lecture.

ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words about our venue. We all take great pride in our profession and it means the world to all of us when customers such as yourself take the time to recognise our dedication and hard work. Sorry that you felt that the "lecture" by my service staff was inappropriate. As you know the soufra or shared menu is not itemised on the printed menu, therefore the wait team take the time to explain what they have placed in front of you to eat.

I agree that maybe it is a better procedure to simply ask if you would like us to explain the dishes, rather than just taking for granted that you want to be informed. This is a great suggestion and i will consider making it standard procedure for all guests, thank you.

I regards to the remark about the multiple staff serving your table, we always try to use the same "food runner" all night, but sometimes with the busy nature of Maha we call upon who ever is available to take food to our guests so the food gets to the table in the best possible standard and within a expectable timeframe.

I hope to see you at Maha again in the near future and I would like to personally meet you if possible. I will send you a private message with contact details for this purpose.

Thank you for your time. Shane

MELBOURNE
“Overly priced in a dated looking decor.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Seriously i wouldnt waste money in going to this restaurant very overpriced menu and food just average.
Decor is very dated looking and noisy at times.
As for the cocktails they are absolutely tasteless.
Much better restaurants in melbourne doing this type of food.
I wouldnt recommend and i wont be back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Peter s
Hi Peter G,
I am terribly sorry you found my venue dated and over priced. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it holds many forms. Obviously your eye is not in favour of my style. Thank you for the feedback regarding the cocktails and the food. My team and I constantly strive to deliver our best and I am terribly sorry that we have not lived up to your expectation. If you would like to contact me directly to discuss this matter further I am more than willing to discuss it with you. Please also feel free to contact me if you would like to come back and see what so many people love about Maha. I will do my best personally serve you. In regards to the decor, sorry, there's not much I can do about that. Everyone dresses their home differently, that's what makes us unique and special. I will send a private message with my contact details.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts,
Shane Delia
Melbourne
“Excellent food; service lacking this time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have been to Maha several times and the food has always been excellent, as it was this time. Service however, this lunch, left a lot to be desired. My colleague and I tried to get attention several times and frequently there was no waiter to be seen. They seemed to be at least 2 people down. I'm not marking it down to 3 as I've never really noticed the service problem before.

• 2 of 5 stars
Hi MelbourneDavo,
I appreciate the feedback regarding service. My team and I hold ourselves to high standards in regard to both food and service so it's always a shame to hear if we've fallen short. I will be sharing your thoughts with the team as guest feedback, both positive and negative, is a great way to continuously improve our offering. On a positive note, I am glad to hear that our food was once again excellent! Thanks for taking the time to post this review.
Melbourne, Australia
“the best middle eastern fine dining resteraunt in melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

went in with my wife

everything was perfect, loved the food , loved the desert.

no complaints at all.

food is full of flavours , the lamb is to die for

Shane you are awesome

thanks for a great meal

• Visited June 2013
Hey Asif,
Thanks for your time to post this review. I'm always humbled to read such kind words. I hope that me and the team can welcome you back to Maha again soon for another great experience!
Berwick, Australia
“Lovely degustation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Came with friends for a hen's evening. Wonderful degustation menu with many exceptional dishes. Loved the freshness of the salads, fish was just divine and a cauliflower consume was to die for. I was surprised at the quantity of the food as well......very generous. Attentive, friendly, humorous, entertaining service. The only down point I would say was the price of the extensive wine list and the lack of 'reasonably' priced wines. Jumped from a chardonnay in it's price point of $40ish [of which we were instructed there was only 1 left] to $80+ priced wines in most varietals. We found a reasonably pinot gris but that was about all. In saying that well worth the visit!

Hi rabot_73,
Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts, I am sorry to hear that our wine list didn't quite hit the mark for you on this occasion as we take great pride in our wine list and have just been awarded a 3 Glass rating for the 3rd year running by Gourmet Traveller WIne magazine. I am thrilled though to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the dishes that were part of the degustation menu that night. I really appreciate the feedback and hope to welcome you back to Maha very soon... when I am sure our Sommelier will be happy to work with you to select a wine that is suitable on all fronts.