“Staff made the experience fantastic!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 4,012 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Staff made the experience fantastic!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I dined here for our anniversary last night and I have to say the staff, and service they provided was absolutely impeccable! 10/10!
We chose the Soufra menu that included a delicious variety of dishes from Shane's TV show, revolving around Iranian cuisine.
I was expecting it to be a little more 'punchy' and stronger aromatic flavours though unfortunately.
The food was great overall, however I would have really enjoyed more sauces and richer, full-bodied spices- especially the lamb, which was very tender and tasty, but a little too salty and dry. I absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED the cherry sorbet and Turkish delight donut for dessert - Amazing!
I would definitely recommend Maha if you have not been before.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Hi Krisstylee,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts on your recent visit to Maha to celebrate your anniversary. The dishes on our soufra menu change very regularly so perhaps some of our new dishes might be more to you liking as far as stronger more punchy flavours? Great to hear that the dessert was a hit! I hope you'll dine with us again soon and thanks for choosing to celebrate your anniversary with us at Maha!
Thanks, Shane.

89% Recommend
Melbourne
“Tasty middle eastern inspired food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was my second time at the Maha, both times for lunch, midweek two course soufra for $35pp (girls lunch) and Sunday soufra for $75pp (with husband). Both times the food was tasty and fresh, and although the portions are small, there are several dishes so on both occasions we all felt we were well fed.
I am from middle eastern background and really appreciated the spices and flavours of middle east presented with a modern and fresh approach. The Persian rice and "Tahdig" was certainly up there with the best home cooked Persian food I have ever had.
I found the staff efficient and friendly without the pretentious attitude found at some other restaurants.

PopOle19,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It's great to hear that you've enjoyed our fresh approach to middle eastern cooking on both of your visits to Maha! Particularly good to hear our Tahdig was up there with the best you've eaten! I look forward to welcoming you back to Maha again soon,
Shukran, Shane.
Melbourne, Australia
“Keep going back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I've been to Maha four times for lunch and every time the food and service has been exemplary. Great inventive food, informal but efficient service, reasonable prices. What's not to like?

• Visited February 2013
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Steve27650, Great to hear you keep coming back!
Have you tried our Burger and Beer special on offer for weekday lunches? The burger changes monthly. July's burger is the Hot Chick; chicken stuffing burger with mushroom mayo, prosciutto and swiss cheese. Hope to see you in at Maha again soon. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
Shane
Perth Austalia
“Fabulous Food, Fabulous Chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We visited Maha during a business trip to Melbourne on recommendation from a local.
Initially a little nervous about the menu, we were soon at ease as the wait staff took us through the options. We had a couple of 'special' eaters with us including gluten intolerances however all needs were well happily catered for.
A bonus was when the Chef Shane appeared at our table to explain the dishes and chat to us about the menu. Completely unpretentious and friendly and clearly passionate about food.
A member of our group asked about wheat in the dishes and Shane explained the ingredient in the dishes we had ordered then offered to prepare a rice only side and some potatoes which were delicious.
To finish we ordered the dessert degustation to share, the fondant and the donuts were outstanding!
Overall a fantastic night out, a more expensive option than some but well worth it.
I would highly recommend Maha.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Hi liana59,
Glad I was able to help out! Always good to hear when guests with dietary requirements have enjoyed their Maha experience. I hope to welcome you back to Maha when you're next in Melbourne.
Cheers, Shane
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic meal and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We had a business dinner at Maha and it just happened to coincide with a private SBS event from the chef's show. The food was awesome and very filling with a varied mix from all over the middle east. Congrats to the team and if you get a chance you definitely want to try Gaz Donuts!
The only complaint was the waiter split wine on every pour of the 8 glasses of matching wine we had!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thanks for your review, Circumnavigator222. Glad to hear you enjoyed your Maha experience! Sounds like you dined with us on the evening of our SBS Spice Journey event - I hope you got to hear the background to some of the dishes that were on the menu! The Gaz donuts are definitely a favourite. My apologies on the wine service - I'll be sure to have a word with our team.
I hope to welcome you back to Maha soon!
Cheers, Shane