“The Retreat-what a treat!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of RACV City Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melbourne
RACV City Club
501 Burke St., Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #26 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Victoria
“The Retreat-what a treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed in a Deluxe Room (the base level) on Level 8-the Retreat last weekend. What a great place. We are RACV Club members-so stay regularly--but this is a step above the already high quality we expect from the club.
You enter form the card activated lift into a plush lounge area with comfy chairs and tables and the pantry area where coffee machine, snacks, drinks are at your fingertips. We were served drinks and canapes pre dinner--included in the cost, and in the morning wandered down to the pantry and brought back our breakfast in bed!! You can go downstairs for the cooked breakfast--but we elected to sleep in and help ourselves to the cereal/fruit/pastries in the pantry.
The room was beautifully furnished and decorated in dark tones. A lovely bathroom with bath and seperate shower and a dressing room that opens into the bathroom-great idea. The massive bed was comfy and the pillows amazing-I actually found out who supplies the pillows and bought some for myself!
I dont know what the other grades of room are like-but if ours was anything to go by-they would be as good-I know some have balconys and some have a garden area--maybe we will lash out for that one day!
The cost for the entry level room in The Retreat is not a great deal more than a standard room--so I would be happy to pay the extra and have the convience a private lounge and snacks etc if you were spending time at your accomodation.
Well worth checking this out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Airlie Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We visited Melbourne for an important function and decided to stay in the accommodation facilities of the Club. Bookings must be arranged by an RACV Club member.
The whole experience was like a 5 star hotel. Checkin was smooth and efficient and our bags were delivered to our room before we had completed our checkin formalities.
Our King bed room was spacious and spotlessly clean, the bed a delight for sound sleep and the shower hot. My wife enjoyed the full size bath. Cable Internet is included and Wifi available in the lobby and second floor.
The package included a full breakfast and had a wide range of choices.
The price was excellent value for a central CBD location.

• Stayed July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family and I stay here whenever we want a couple of days in the city to shop/see concerts/dine out. The service is fantastic throughout the hotel. Staff are all professional, knowledgable and welcoming - nothing is too much trouble. We generally visit mid-week, and always enjoy dinner in the bistro, particularly burger and Italian night. Recently we loved the Thai buffet on offer. The breakfast buffet is also fantastic. The rooms themselves are spacious, clean and very comfortable. The bathrooms in particular feel very classy and sophisticated and the large mirror is great for getting ready before a night out. Location is also a highlight, as you can walk everywhere that you need or just catch a tram from out the front. Overall, we always look forward to staying here for our stays in the city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We have often stayed at this club. The beautiful blackwood rooms are very pleasant.
The breakfast is great, they now have a machine, for fresh juice which was excellent.
The facilities including the library are very worthwhile, as is the swimming pool and gym.
I am happy to stay at this club, although it is at the upper end of the price scale, as it is a very comfortable place to stay. The situation is very handy to retail therapy and also all other attractions and very handy for tram travel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I went here for a work conference. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and spacious with large walk in robes. Comfy beds with a decent offering for breakfast. It is conveniently located in heart of the city. A bit of an old man’s club but that’s the history of the establishment. I would definitely stay again for work purposes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights here on our wedding anniversary. This place has the ambience of a club house as it brings back memory of early Melbourne city life. The restaurants in the club house serve excellent food and is not overpriced. Staff is very helpful and friendly. The advantage of this hotel is its location. Everything in the city including central business district, entertainment areas, sport centers, university, shopping centers, city trams and railways station are within walking distance. There is no luxury here but it is very comfortable and clean. We had two memorable nights here.

• Stayed April 2013
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times and always request Bourke St so I can look down on the trams. The other day I booked for a Tuesday night, and the clerk suggested that I get early check-in as they don't have many rooms full on a Monday night.

I arrived early on the Tuesday and the desk gave me early check-in. I thought this was nice of them, although I didn't really need it as I was going to be out most of the day. Imagine my disappointment to see the room. Room 302 has no view of Bourke St and looks out over the roof. I spoke to the desk about it later in the day, and the response was 'Well you asked for Bourke St.'

I also checked the breakfast list the next day and found that there were plently of unused rooms on floor 3 as well. So I thought that assigning me this room was pretty poor all in all.

The interior of the room was as usual very nice. I agree with another reviewer about the coffee at breakfast - a latte would be nice.

Another tip for breakfast. The wait staff seem to want to cram you in like sardines. Just ask for another table a bit further away from the hussle and bussle.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 301 and 302.