“Best place we have stayed so far!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Urban Central

You added Urban Central to your Saves list
Urban Central
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   334 City Road Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Ranked #22 of 104 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
“Best place we have stayed so far!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Good place good location,
We stayed 6 nights in a 4 dorm which was ok execpt the heavy door banged everytime anyone went in or out which woke everyone up each time!
Had good tv areas and a bar downstairs which was fairly well priced
Local to coles aldi and wollworths and a short walk in to the city
Kitchen was well equppied
Only downfall was no free wi wifi amd the wifi u paid for was rubbish it never worked and it was $25 for a week!
Reception staff were nice and helpful
Id definately stay there again

• Stayed June 2013
Jason-GM, Front Office Manager at Urban Central, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Hello, thanks for your great review of your stay with us at Urban Central. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us, especially our location, our bar and friendly staff. Our room doors are self locking upon closing for extra security which may be the reason for the noise, I will be sure to pass this onto our maintenance department for you. I apologize that you had some issues with the WIFI, I will also make sure this is looked into. Once again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Hopefully we can welcome you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was completely blown away as I entered the room as it was really clean and bright, and just had a very simple design. The beds and toilet were relatively clean for a budget hotel and I would totally recommend it for backpackers looking for an affordable place to live in.
Next to the hostel there is McDonald's and this gas station? It is also pretty near to Melbourne Central and is definitely within walking distance.
On Friday nights however it'll be slightly noisier due to the bars downstairs. In the day it can also be a little noisy since it is right beside the highway but I'm not really affected by it.
The doors of the hostel, or at least my door, closes with a very loud sound and that bothered me a little.
The kitchen however was not very well equipped as I could not find a cup for my drink.

Overall I think this is a good hostel with a good location and the rooms are very nice and cozy. (:

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of Urban Central. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our clean rooms and our central location. I am sorry to hear that the doors were a bit of a disturbance for you. For extra security, our doors are self locking upon closing so that could possibly be the reason for the noise. I will have maintenance look into this for you. I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels. Regards, the team at Urban Central.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in May 2013 and had a great experience! Was in a mixed 4 bed dorm and although our room faced the street, with the windows closed it was super quiet. You can hear people in the halls but usually people are respectful & quiet at night. Entry into the building and elevators all require key cards which was a nice feature. Each level has something different to it (library, tv room, etc...). The kitchen had plenty of stove tops for cooking. Free pasta & rice daily as well as toast & jam for brekkie and coffee.
The bar was cheap and there was plenty of activities to do during the evenings there as well as bootcamp during the week. Clean sheets and a nice comforter. Towels included as well.
The staff were very helpful & friendly! Such a great hostel experience! Would recommend this place to everyone!
Location wasn't anything exciting, but it's close to the City Rd tram and only a few stops to the CBD. Free transit if you stay in Zone 1. Didn't purchase internet as I heard it was expensive, so we just went across the street to McDonalds.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, Thanks for such a positive review of your stay at Urban Central. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our facilities and the events in our bar. I will be sure to also pass on your kind words about our staff to the whole team. Hopefully we will see you back here again soon.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

room was clean and comfortable, as it was quite quiet i was put in a 6 bed dorm which i had all to myself. great :) however as only my and the staff had the keys i was extremely angered to find that upon my return to the room after a day out, all of my stuff had gone!!!!!!!!!!! i found 1 item in the lost property. and that was it. the staff were rude and didnt seem to care at all. extremely unhelpful . security is awful, customer service abissmal. dont stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Jason-GM, Front Office Manager at Urban Central, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Hello

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations.

As you will see from other posts on this site, we take our reviews very seriously. I notice You stayed with us nearly one year ago. Unfortunately, we cannot find your reservation even though we have only one 6 bed room in our venue

We would like to research the service you received in more detail but we need more information. To assist, please contact me at kking@urbancentral.com.au. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Katherine
Pontypridd
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Excellent value for money. Stayed in worse 4 star hotels. Room private double really nice! Definately recommend!!! Great central location. Have to pay for wifi though! Airport shuttle also excellent service.

• Stayed March 2013
Jason-GM, Front Office Manager at Urban Central, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Hello, Thanks for your kind review of Urban Central. I am glad you enjoyed your time here and think so highly of our venue. I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Bendigo, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

There were 3 of us staying in Melbourne, and it was literally a last minute booking. I called Thursday morning to book for Friday and Saturday night, and the staff member on the phone was incredibly helpful and professional. We wanted to be sure we'd be all together, so we booked a family room for $125 a night (divided by three it works out to approx $41 each). It was only slightly more than we'd normally pay for a hostel stay, and boy were we glad we did! Our room felt like a hotel room. As soon as we stepped in, we were met with a spacious room with a king bed and comfortable bunk bed. The bed was comfortable, beautifully dressed and came with towels - normally a rare luxury for a hostel. Not only did we have a king bed, we had a private and modern ensuite, tea and coffee making facilities and a TV!
Our stay was comfortable, the building's secure swipe card access made us feel safe, and the staff were so professional and friendly. Not only that, the room was very quiet, despite the fact that we were on a busy road. Not only have I recommended this place to everyone I know, I am planning another stay in June!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jason-GM, Front Office Manager at Urban Central, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of Urban Central Accommodation. It was wonderful to read your comments, especially about how much you enjoyed our private rooms. I will be sure to share your comments with my team. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

this is a very professional hostel, well run and organized. its clean and well laid out and has excellent if slightly expensive facilities. rooms a bit on the warm side and are noisy due to its location by a busy road. st kilda is accessible as is the south bank. bit expensive but does include breakfast and is worth the money rather than staying in some of the other awful hostels in Melbourne.

• Stayed March 2013
It was fantastic to read that you enjoyed your time at Urban Central. Thank you very much for your positive review, I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Urban Central again soon.

Been to Urban Central? Share your experiences!