“Great spot!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Urban Central

Save Saved
You added Urban Central to your Saves list
Urban Central
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   334 City Road Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Ranked #25 of 110 Specialty lodging in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Great spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here for two weeks over Christmas and new year and really enjoyed myself. If your like me and the one thing you care most about in a hostel is the cleanliness then this is the place for you as its absolutley spotless! Its very big and has lots of people staying but is very well run by staff. Bar downstairs is good craic aswel! When our aircon broke it was fixed within a few hours. Only complaint is that nearly everything we bought from the supermarket was stolen even though it was bagged and labelled! Shame really do not understand why travellers steal from other travellers when they know how annoying it is. Other than that its a great hostel and great location

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason-GM, Front Office Manager at Urban Central, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Hello, thanks for your review of Urban Central. Its great to hear you had such a good time staying with us. We hope to be able to welcome you back one day soon.

150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lyon, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I didn't have a booking when I arrived . the staff has been very polite, helpful and tried to accomodate me. I stayed there for 2 nights and I enjoyed my stay. It not too noisy even though there is a bar on site. I could not hear anything from my dorm . The dorms have 4 beds only, so they're not overcrowded . there are big lockers that can fit suitcases and enough space on the room to put them on the floor.
I had a share bathroom which was clean and had enough showers , I never had to queue.

The hostel offers free breakfast. I liked it because there is no hassle of buying everygthing for just 2 nights. But the hostel is so big, that there are lots of guests all having breakfast at the same time. I found it difficult to get hold of a tea cup, toasting my bread and doing the dishes . I just went to Macdonalds accross the street on my second morning , to also use the Free WiFi (which the hostel does not offer).

The hostel is located 5 min away from the Crown Complex ( Casino, bars, shopping mall), 10 min away from the Southern Cross train station and 15 min from Federation square. I walked everywhere, it's easy to get around .

I would recommand this hostel : clean but very big, too many people going around. I like smaller places where it's easier to socialise. I would not stay there for a long term

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Urban Central. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our free breakfast and thought highly of our central location. All the best on your travels.
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Staff were very helpful and the room was nice. This wasnt the place for me though. I checked in shortly after 7 pm and guests were drinking everywhere. There is a sign that says no outside alcohol but people were just using holders. The average age seemed to be early twenties which is ok. Add alcohol and lots of people i felt quite out of place in my thirties though my room mates were older too. The room was quieter than i expected. Breakfast was mayhem just cause there are so many people at the hostel.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Urban Central. I will pass on your kind words to our staff about their service. Our bar can get quite busy on the weekends but we do have security around the venue to make sure everyone is having a good time. I will also pass on these comments to our Bar Manager.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed here for 1 week in a 4 bed dorm. Other peoples cleanliness made the room look messy and untidy on arrival. Bed frame was very dusty and the metal wardrobes are noisy, very unsightly and were filthy. Bathrooms are good with hot powerful showers. Bar downstairs is cool and well priced and quiet (free water is good). Kitchen was well equipt with lots of storage although fridges wernt cold enough and milk went sour quickly. Good to see pasta and rice was free and basic breakfasts in morning. Staff were friendly and helpful throughout the stay. Location is a little out of the city centre (15mns walk). Our main problem was the internet prices, both computers and wi-fi. $4 dollars an hour on computer and similar prices just for wi-fi is far to much compared to other places that offer free wi-fi throughout the building. As we used the internet alot we were paying an extra $48 a week to use the internet during a week which is disgusting!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason-GM, Front Office Manager at Urban Central, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Hello,
Thanks for your review of Urban Central.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the bathrooms, hot showers, our bar, and the free breakfast and free rice and pasta.

In regards to the maintenance issues you have mentioned, we have passed that on and will make sure these issues are fixed immediatly.

Again, thanks for taking the time to review, and hopefully we will see you again one day.

Thanks
Katherine
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The urban central is a really good hostel. There are 4-bed dorms in the whole hostel and its really clean. They clean the rooms every morning and the rooms are big and bright. The hostel even provides towels. The kitchen facilities are also very good and big and you really feel comfortable when you cook cus everything is clean and tidy. Really nice hostel staff as well. The hostel is 10 minutes from the city centre away.
The only bad thing was the expensive wifi so we always had to go to the mcdonalds on the other side of the hostel to have wifi.
I would really recommend this hostel as its nearly as good as a hotel! :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hello,
Thanks for your review of Urban Central. Im glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hopefully we can welcome you back here one day soon.

Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Regards,
The team at Urban Central
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights due to a very last minute change of plans. The service at reception was atrocious when I first arrived, leaving me with a foul first impression as I had already had a terrible time getting there. These little things really make a difference! It is very much a flashpacker hostel; if you're not bothered about sharing a room with more than four people then this may not be your place. Also this hostel is NOT in the city centre but over the bridge into South Melbourne; it's a 15 minute walk to the southwest corner of the CBD, but I felt very misled as there are MUCH better located hostels for less money. It's also right next to a motorway, and the doors were an absolute pain to operate at first. So overall unhappy about that.
The facilities are however fantastic, nice thick duvet and strong AC, good showers (with annoying beeping timers) and by my 2nd night the staff were MUCH friendlier. Just about made up for it all, but not quite. The bar looked okay but is residents only so I found it a bit too quiet for my tastes.
Great if you're a big group that needs a bit of comfort, but for a solo backpacker like me I would look elsewhere.

Avoid any room ending in 22-25, those are closest to the motorway.

• Stayed January 2013
Hello,

Thanks for your review of your stay with us at Urban Central. It is unfortunate to hear about your experience with our staff on check in as we usually get great reviews about our staff.

Indeed we are located in Southbank. We are right around the corner from the Crown Casino, all the bars and restaurants on the river, the DFO and the Eureka Tower. Not only is there are tram right by us which goes right into the centre, we are also on the tram line to St Kilda and Port Melbourne so we believe we are in a great location and close to everything.

Im glad you enjoyed the Duvets and Airconditioning the rooms, the showers are great too (beeping in the showers are for the timers which we have installed to enviromentally save water).

Thanks again for taking the time to review Urban Central. If you would like to contact me with extra details about your experience, then I would be happy to discuss this with you futher. Our contact email is: stayplay@urbancentral.com.au.

Regards,
Katherine
Management.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed at Urban Central during December with a friend, booking a 4 bed dorm with bathroom. Over the Friday and Saturday night we were the only guests in the room so we scored a private for half the price!
The staff are welcoming and friendly and the feel of the hostel is 'homely'. They had a real christmas tree decorated in the foyer and a lounge room on every level with couches, a tv and book stands. The hostel was conveniently located near a McDonald, a Club, cafes and restaurants, a convenience store and within walking distace to a tram and Crown Casino. I felt safe with 24 hour reception and a swipe card to gain access to the building, lifts and your room. The rooms were very clean, bathroom was a good size and air con. Sizeable storage and free storage before checking in if you arrive early. Windows open in the rooms which was nice and soap was provided. Irons and hair dryers were available for free upon request. I am from Sydney and flew down for a girly weekend. For 40 dollars a night, this was a huge saving compared to staying at a hotel and we definetly enjoyed staying here! Urban Central Melbourne comes highly reccomended from me for all travellers!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for your amazing review of Urban Central. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here with us. I will pass on your kind comments to all of our staff. Hopefully we can welcome you back to stay with us soon.

Been to Urban Central? Share your experiences!