“Quick service but a bit pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Brisbane, Australia
“Quick service but a bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Our family of 5 (3 teenagers) enjoyed our meal here. Favourites were the signature fish dish (called Fish 349). My husband ordered the Whole Flounder which came with potatoes only; he enjoyed it, and I had the crispy skinned salmon with a rocket salad. I was warned it was cooked under-done. I think I would have preferred it slightly more cooked in hindsight.
Caesar salads were ordered separately as only my meal had greens. My husband enjoyed it but my son and I were a bit disappointed. Dressing could have been better.
There is a nice looking selection of ice-creams though we were too full by this stage.
The service was incredibly fast - too fast? Either a big kitchen or everything ready to go. It is also quite expensive for a family type restaurant. We paid over $200 (including a bottle of wine and drinks for the kids). This didn't seem to worry people as it was busy with quite a few families.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Devonport, Australia
“Risotto to die for...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My friend and I have eaten here a few times, and always get a good feed. We shared the Garlic and Chilli Prawns for entree which was just enough each and very tasty. I'm always wary of ordering risotto as it can be a bit hit and miss, but being gluten free, there wasn't too many options here, so I went for the Shredded Crab Meat and Prawn Risotto, and it was exceptionally good. I will definitely order it again, although the serving was a bit on the small size for the price. My friend had the Prawn, Scallop and Salmon Crepes which she said were ok. I guess a bit hit and miss for us both, but an enjoyable meal non-the-less.

Oh, and it is what it is, casual dining - if you want 5* table service and the prices to match I suggest you go elsewhere or stop complaining.

• Visited November 2012
“Fun family fish cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This place remains a family favourite as it is unpretentious and delivers good food, fast. I don't understand the criticisms of other reviewers as you get what you pay for (and see). The open kitchen buzzes and the table service is as attentive as anywhere good in Hobart. The quality of the food satisfied every one of my group of 7 adults and 2 young boys. Well done team 349!

Tasmania
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Had dinner at Fish 349 and was mostly under-whelmed. They don't do table service, which is fine, but the staff are constantly looping the room and looking over your shoulder that it doesn't make for a very relaxing dining experience. With all the time they spent lurking over our table they could have taken our order while they were there.

Our food came out super fast. I had the Fish 349 (fisherman's basket). It was ordinary. The scallops were so full of water it ran down the fork and all up my arm (yuk!). This could only happen if they were frozen. Very poor for the price of the dish, $24.50. Our plates were swooped away constantly during our meal, once while we were still eating from one of them. I got the feeling the staff had been told to encourage people to get in and out as fast as they can.

Mures is cheaper and fresher - go there instead.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hobart, Australia
“Second review - too overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is my second review and i am very dissapointed with the price and size of the meals which have changed considerably in the last 12 months...
Our favourite dish was the Macadamian crusted Salmon, the portion size of the Macadamian salmon is HALVED...and i do not exaggerate!!
We ordered the Ling Special on roast potato and puree pea....when the waitress served it, i thought she made an error....as the meal portions looked like an entree!!! the meal was the size of a saucer....although delicious...not for 29 dollars each.
For a restaurant that charges those prices i expect full table service, not made to order my meals myself and take a number to the table...

• Visited November 2012