“Wonderful memories of my birthday dinner.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 477 Restaurants in Hobart
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Bar, Contemporary, Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful memories of my birthday dinner.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I recently organised a trip to Hobart with a group of 13 to celebrate my recent birthday. Having never visited Hobart ( nor Tasmania for that matter), I was at a loss to choose a restaurant for my birthday dinner. After a little research, which was then supported by a recommendation from the concierge at a hotel we were planning to stay at, I contacted Monty's to plan the dinner.

From the very beginning, the restaurant couldn't have been more helpful, adjusting the menu to suit my gluten intolerance and some of the guests preferences. When at the last moment , I enquired about organising a birthday cake, and needed it to be gluten free, I was given a recommendation of a bakery, and the offer by the manager to even pick the cake up for me as they happened to live nearby!! Now that's service.

The actual dinner went perfectly. The food was as brilliant as I had read in all the reviews and the staff couldn't have been more helpful n the night, including discretely informing me when the wine was running low, so I could always ensure the guests continued to have enough to drink. We were there on a busy Saturday night, but I wouldn't have known, we could easily have been the only diners in the restaurant.

I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Hobart.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Unassuming location, fantastic food. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Excellent food, in a very unassuming old house. Service was warm, prompt and professional. Buzzing on a Saturday night so booking would be a good idea. Highly recommended.

Los Angeles, California
“What a deeelicious and delightful surprise-Monty's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

We walked to this quaint and homey restaurant in Hobart from our hotel. My friend and I tried several entrees which we shared. EVERYTHING was wonderful-elegant and beautifully plated.
They were very small portions-but each bite was exquisite-no exaggeration. I even tried tongue and that was fabulous. The lamb was heavenly-We returned a second time in our 5 day visit-It was equally delicious.

Denver, Colorado
“A quaint, old home that has been turned into a fine restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Our daughter, who is currently living in Hobart and attending The University of Tasmania had selected this restaurant as one that she really wanted to experience while we (and our credit cards) were visiting. We were not disappointed. All of our meals were exquisite! A bit pricey, yes, but well worth the great dining experience. Located in the Battery Park area, not far from the harbor (but up the hill if you are thinking of walking), is where will you will find this little gem. Very quaint, great food, but no views. Service was on the high end, too.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Queensland
“Amazing Flavours, Attentive Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Being an old Hobart boy, I has been a regular visitor to this restaurant when it was called the Beefeater many years ago.

On a flying visit to Hobart for a few days, I wandered up Montpelier Retreat to see if the Beefeater was still there and had the luck that it is now "Monty's on Montpelier".

There's a slight disconnect here - as I walked up the steps to the front door all I saw was the cash register and I was assuming the restaurant was now a cheap and cheerful Indian joint. It wasn't an impressive start or indicative of what sort of restaurant it is. But inside is elegantly done, with smaller rooms, a larger room and a tasteful bar area.

I often eat on my own and am usually made to feel about as welcome as a mother-in-law on a honeymoon, but the charming staff welcomed me in by myself and had me sorted in minutes.

The mussels for entree and Trout for main were amongst the most flavoursome food I've ever had, all washed down with a few wonderful wines by the glass from a very extensive wine menu.

When there is a dessert named "Peanut butter mousse, chocolates & bananas" then you just have to have it, because it couldn't possibly be as bad as it sounds! It was delicious and very filling. That was washed down with my favourite dessert wine, Frogmore Creek Iced Riesling.

By this time I'd probably had enough, so then had a coffee and headed off. The value for money was excellent and next time I might even take my wife is she behaves herself.

Yep, that's how good it was!