“Absolutely Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #177 of 459 Restaurants in Hobart
Hobart, Australia
“Absolutely Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Talk about flying under the radar :)

I popped in here one day by chance, and honestly, I am so glad I did!

Friendly staff, great fresh food, THE BEST coffee, heaps of magazines and newspapers, 3 levels including a smoking garden :) and really cosy and inviting.

Open 6 days a week, I really recommend this place if you want a good experience :)

• Visited August 2013

Katoomba, Australia
“True Island Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Island Café in Hobart is not only unforgettable, it is memorable. This time round we discovered the cook is the Mum and there are a couple of daughters who are obsessive about the quality of the coffee, the coffee machine (which has just come back from an overhaul), the food and the décor. Less corporate than the now destroyed Salamanca ‘coffee shops,’ this place has true history and ambience. We shared a poached egg, salmon and vegetable Turkish style bread sandwhich for breaky, or is it ‘brunch?,’ and woke up to the chatter of the woman who makes the coffee raving to people about her machine coming back. We delight in the fact that she is always engaging someone in some witty conversation about something. The locals are here. You’ll have to elbow your way past them but it’s worth facing the fear of intimacy and having a rest on this true Island paradise!

• Visited January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“very nice, folksy cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

A friend had always sworn by the Island Cafe when I first started going to Hobart in the late 90's as he loved the lattes in a bowl you could get then, which sounded great and I was always curious but then I kind of forgot about it until my interest was piqued again and I finally went, and what a lovely place it is, too. It is sort of homiley folksy and arty and done very well in that way, too. It seems to capture the heart of Tasmania, too. The toastie I had for lunch was done and flavoured in keeping with the ethos of the place, which I enjoyed very much, it was very nice, as was the coffee and the waitress was really nice, too. A nice way to round off my exploration of forgotten or less ostentatious places in Hobart that capture its essence.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good coffee good breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyable breakfast with pretty good coffee. However it was no better thanthat. Service was excellent and venue enjoyable. Just the benchmark is very high in hobart. Worth visiting all the same

Hobart
“My new favourite place for coffee in Hobart!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I discovered Island Cafe by chance about a week ago and am so glad I did. The coffee is amazing! I have not tried their food except for the almond croissant but if their other food is anything like their almond croissants then it is to die for. I am now a regular at this cafe for my morning coffee.

• Visited January 2013