“Quirky, charming hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alabama Hotel Hobart

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hobart
Alabama Hotel Hobart
You added Alabama Hotel Hobart to your Saves list
Level 1, 72 Liverpool St, Hobart, Tasmania 7000, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 28 Hobart B&B and Inns
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Quirky, charming hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Pros: Central location
Lovely owners - very helpful
Beautiful communal areas/bar
Clean comfortable rooms
Very reasonable rates

Cons: no parking and parking in the cbd can add up
A little noisy at night
Communal bathrooms - clean & no queues!

Overall liked it a lot and would stay there again in a flash

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I hugely enjoyed my stay at the Alabama Hotel and can't recommend it highly enough. At first I was 'wait shared bathrooms really?' but a look over Hobart hotels shows that most hotels here have shared bathrooms at this price point and the general loveliness of the Alabama is much greater than other hotels of this price (and even many more expensive ones!) I truly found the shared bathrooms not to be an issue which was great. As a lone female traveller I was very wary but it didn't bother me at all when I got there. Just like being in a nice gym, they had male and female bathrooms, the one I used was right across the corridor from my room which was easy and it had two showers and a toilet, I never saw anyone else there.

The Alabama Hotel and its hosts are just so lovely and helpful. The hotel itself is really pretty and quirky, with a great common area that you actually want to be in. The rooms are smaller due to the lack of ensuite but perfectly acceptable with good space for clothes etc and hangers yay! It's such a great central location as well.

The hosts could not be more helpful to me for all my many, many questions and gave me tonnes of advice, local knowledge and good chat. Also the wifi is free and the password was handed over the minute I arrived, without me even having to ask. Storing my luggage was no problem at all, even though I arrived very early and left on my last day very late. Late night access is easy with a passcode so it's safe, secure and easy to get in late at night.

Others reviews who say it feels like being at home are absolutely right, it was such a great experience for me, so much nicer than inhuman hotel chains. I slept really well and really enjoyed my stay. And it's really nicely decorated!

Don't let the shared bathrooms put you off! It's more than worth the money and I've recommended it to everyone I know as well.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

The staff at Alabama hotel are lovely, genuine and extremely helpful. We were able to check in early (9am!!!) and check out at 11am rather than 10am because they're flexible when possible. They seem very passionate and keen to please guests and always make the effort to say hi when we passed by reception.

The rooms and bathrooms are nicely decorated and clean. The shared balcony and lounge are cosy. It does close at 9pm, so maybe not great for party animals but suited us just fine.

The location is great, we could walk to everywhere around Hobart.

I'll be highly recommending Alabama Hotel to other travellers, friends and family.

• Stayed February 2014
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We recently took a weekend trip down to Hobart and were searching for something close to Salamanca, with a bit of personality and not too expensive. We thought maybe we'd have to compromise on one but after having been recommended The Alabama Hotel it quickly became clear we wouldn't!

Greeted at the desk by Kelly we had a drink in our hands on the beautiful herb-lined balcony within minutes and had already settled into our trip. Kelly suggested places to eat and all were just what we were in the mood for.

The bed were super comfortable and the rooms were fitted out really nicely. The Bowie and Bill Murray pillows were a highlight. Little handmade soaps from the market were waiting for us and the little touches made our stay all the more special. Like the touch of chilli Aedan puts in his homemade breakfast muesli! There's a non-chilli option but wait til you try it!!

We thoroughly enjoyed our experience here and haven't previously found somewhere like this in Hobart. With many more people coming down for MONA I guess it's a sign of what's to come. Really impressed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Our stay at Alabama couldn't have been better. Fabulous helpful hosts. Great hotel finishes, warm and friendly and very clean. The beds are really comfortable.

The common area lounge is an excellent space to chill for breaky, or for a glass of wine in the evenings.

The hotel is in an excellent location, walking and cycling distance to everything you'd want to see in Hobart and around the corner to car rentals if you want to hire a car.

Best if your not too sensitive to noise at night though, because the pedestrian crossing beeping could keep you awake. It didn't bother us too much though.

As we were there for three nights a change of towels / bed make-up would make it feel more like a hotel and less like a hostel though.

Room Tip: On the second level away from the pedestrian crossing!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Our stay at the Alabama Hotel exceeded our expectations in all ways. The owners Kelly and Aedan were very welcoming hosts who made us feel right at home and were happy to share their local tips of places to go in Hobart. Kelly makes an amazing coffee and Aedan's home made muesli was so delicious we are now making our own at home (thanks for sharing the recipe Aedan!).

The rooms are stylishly furnished with really comfortable beds and the bathrooms on each floor were clean & spacious with with good hot showers. The lounge and balcony were especially nice for relaxing between exploring the city and for evening drinks before heading out.

This place was a highlight of our stay and we couldn't recommend it more highly!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Narrogin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed for several days with family joining us over New Year. The pleasant sitting rooms meant we could meet and talk, with a glass of wine or a coffee. There is a charming balcony over the street as well. I was a bit worried about how the family would respond to shared bathrooms, but it was not a concern. They all enjoyed the relaxed environment and super helpful host Kelly. The rooms are simple, linen crisp and beds comfortable. That beeper from the crosswalk is a pain, but on the other hand there was very little street noise. Everything is in easy walking distance and right in the middle of Hobart. I recommend this hotel to those who do not enjoy anonymous rooms in sterile buildings.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Alabama Hotel Hobart? Share your experiences!