“Totally over-rated” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 25 Hobart B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Totally over-rated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

When I arrived, my reservation was lost, and it took 30 minutes of sheer mayhem to finally get a room. The room was clean and recently refurbished. Wireless internet, which is supposedly included in room rates and promoted on the web site, was not working, and there was nobody to help. Only cleaning staff were present all day, and they had no clue how to fix the internet. The manager was invisible for my whole stay.
Check out is at 10am, which is quite standard, but when I asked to wait in the common area until early afternoon as my bus out of town was only at 2pm, I was told by the cleaning lady : " you have checked out, cannot stay longer". As usual, there was no manager around so I had nobody to complain to.
Overall I was quite stunned by the lack of hospitability of the staff, which spoils an otherwise nice B&B

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Comox, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

Arrived to find they had lost my reservation. I had emailed months before and also phoned.
They had room for the first but I had to find another place for the second night.
Do not have a car if you stay here parking very bad. I dinged my rental car due to poor parking.
Room ok. Nice breakfast area but had to wait for anything other than cereal. On 2nd stay I gave up on waiting for bread etc.
Not sure why the good reviews. I am afraid my memory of Hobart will not be good in part due to my stay here

• Liked — not much
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
qld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

Two adults with children -we stayed 2 nights from Brisbane in verandah ensuite room - and were made to feel welcome but private at same time;. great decor altho a few deficiencies -bathroom cramped and outdated , light bulb not working in lamp, rugs in hall dirty but kitchen/dining spotless. Fluffy towels . child friendly,parking at back. New appliances, fantastic paintings ,lovely bedspreads/ linen and comfy chairs,ample breakfast altho no cooked breakfast. Overall felt homely. Interesting variety of other guests. would be wise to ask for room at back if you are worried by noise.

• Stayed December 2008
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

This B&B is a short-ish walk from the central attractions of Hobart. It's uphill from all the action, so good for a brisk walk after a big meal at Salamanca Place.

The rooms are large, nicely decorated and well maintained. Our ensute was spacious with a shower over the tub. The breakfast was OK, although the "continental" platter of cheese and meat didn't look that fresh after three days.

However, I wouldn't stay there again. Here's why ...

1. You should like NOISE to stay here. Hobart friends tell us Macquarie St is the busiest in Hobart. Admittedly it's not downtown Sydney but it's still a busy street on a slope with accelerating/braking cars starting/stopping at the intersection on which this place sits - yes, right on the corner - with no double glazing.

2. I'm not sure what nuances attach to the term "B&B", but we got one replacement set of towels in our three-night stay. Otherwise the room was not serviced, including tea and coffee not being replaced, bathroom not cleaned and bed not made. We checked with another guest who had the same experience.

3. When we booked we gave a credit card number but were NOT told that one night's accommodation would be deducted as a deposit. When I got my statement (the week before we went) I found the "deposit" had been deducted twice. The person who had made the error (and since left the B&B) had left a note saying the machine had malfunctioned, but nobody made an effort to ring to explain, despite having my number. I had to ring them to find out what was going on. We did get a 10% discount as compensation.

4. The place seemed mostly unattended. Except for somebody being there the mornings we checked in and out (and another instance of replacement towels), there was no evidence of anybody being at the B&B other than the few guests who were there when we stayed.

5. One morning the water in the shower was lukewarm. Other mornings it was hot. Only one light globe in two overhead lights was working in our room.

• Liked — size of room
  • Disliked — busy corner location and noise
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

I chose Edinburgh Gallery Bed and Breakfast because it was a great price and we didn't want to spend a fortune given we were getting in late (midnight) and only staying 1 night. $65 for two - including a continential breakfast was too good to go past!

To our surprise, the room was huge! It had a large queen bed, two seater couch, day bed large wardrobe and plenty of space. I felt a bit like I was staying at someone's grandma's house. The decor was definitely a little different! The bathroom (attached) was old and in need of a spruce up - but clean and functional.

Breakfast was help your self in a communal dining room - plenty of choices.

Overall - great value.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Bit of traffic noise in the morning
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
BKK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

On our Tassie trip last August, we picked EGB&B for our Hobart days and never regret. Our room was spacious, clean and warm. The hosts were extremely friendly and helpful with all our requests for information. Kudos to you both, David and Penelope!

Breakfast was ample. There's a painting I loved in the living room with a girl laying down in a tiny boat on dark, dark water. We stayed for 2 nights then left for Lake St. Clair national park.

I highly recommend this lovely place for anyone looking for a b&b type accommodation in Hobart!

Klos and Dane from BKK, THAILAND

• Liked — hosts friendliness, cleanliness
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2007

A comfortable room with loads of space with a separate enlosed verandah area with relaxing chairs and very clean.

The bathroom was very small and oddly the arrangement of the outside verandah was such that the floor sloped in one direction which made showering fun!. The shower was also low down and the facilities in the bathroom a bit tired and old but clean enough.

Definetly a very quirky B&B, with our room having a large 1950's blue and black leather bed head and matching dressing table. The bed was also covered in a fur bedspread and the rest of the soft furnishings were leapord print. So definetly something for those who like things a bit different!

Breakfast was a good range, fresh and well presented although a serve yourself set up.

Overall, comfortable and clean, but definetly very odd !!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Reception a bit impersonal
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Edinburgh Gallery Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!