“Good food and good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #214 of 416 Restaurants in Hobart
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Australia
“Good food and good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We had a very good meal here and thought it was good value,they have different specials on different nights,try the ribs!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hobart, Australia
“Dinner? Seriously, don't put yourself through the trauma...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Any restaurant with the word 'grill' in its title grabs my attention! So I was quite excited when a colleague selected the Manor Grill as the venue for dinner for our group of 11.

The Manor Grill is located inside the Rydges Hotel in North Hobart, just a short drive or a longish walk to the Hobart CBD.

I can't comment on the hotel itself, but I CAN comment on our dining experience; and what an experience it was!!

They had run out of cold local beer.
They had run out of bitters.
They had run out of the red wine that we selected with our main meal.
They only had one chicken skewer entree left (with five of us wanting that for our entree).

The waiter was quite open in his opinion that the crispy squid was much better than the chicken skewers anyway...?!! Seriously?

It took around an hour for our entrees to arrive.

Bread ordered. Order forgotten by the wait staff.
Water ordered. Order forgotten by the wait staff.

Steaks? The quality of the meat was very good, albeit a little overcooked (a crime for any establishment with the word 'grill' in their title!) and they had cooled down quite a bit by the time they arrived at the table.

Horseradish cream? The most rancid condiment I have ever had the displeasure of tasting. Sour, bitter, crumbly (how can a 'cream' crumble?!!) and just downright nasty! I suspect either the milk had gone off or it had been in storage for a few weeks/months too long.

Dessert? The one saving grace for the Manor Grill. The chocolate fondant was very generous in size and full of flavour. The vanilla icecream was good, but nothing special. I didn't try the Creme Brulee but they looked awesome!

A bizarre and rather disturbing experience that I hope I never have to experience ever again, because this was by far the worst dining experience I have ever had!

I really hope for their sake that they were just having a bad night, but I won't be going back to find out.

For a more detailed review of the meal, and other restaurants and cafes around Hobart, feel free to drop by my blog at www.andrewstrikis.wordpress.com

Hobart, Australia
“High Tea Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

For my mothers birthday I wanted to treat her to High Tea. The experience we had at Rydges was nothing short of outstanding. The food was delicious, scones just out of the oven, a delicious creme brûlée, a chocolate mousse encased in a chocolate base was just to die for, as well as many other extraordinary treats. The service was brilliant with Danny asking us many times if he could do anything for us, without being intrusive in our afternoon at all. I will be recommending this venue to all my friends.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Chocolate high tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Went here for chocolate high tea with a friend - it was delicious and well presented and we were serve a surprisingly large amount of food. It was very well priced at only $25 per person. We received attentive service by the staff; would definitely go back!

Hobart
“High Tea at Rydges Hobart… What a delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

After receiving a Rydges High Tea flyer in the mail a few friends and myself booked in for Sunday afternoon. Not having been to Rydges Hobart before I was pleasantly surprised to find such a lovely historical building, with a great amount of parking and beautiful surroundings. When entering into the reception area we were greeted by a very polite young lady who contacted the restaurant staff who promptly seated us in to the Manor Grill Restaurant which had an amazing view overlooking the Hobart city and waterfront.

We were delighted with the table arrangement; beautiful setting of brightly coloured tea pots, and a delicious three tiered arrangement of food. Several choices of gourmet sandwiches along with a fantastic selection of savoury pieces and sweet desserts.

The service was outstanding; all staff were very attentive and went over and above to make sure each person thoroughly enjoy the afternoon. To say the very least, the most favourite part of the entire experience was the Crème Brulee. The perfectly smooth creamy custard, with the crispy caramelized topping was a favourite amongst us all.

I have enjoyed High Tea at several establishments in Hobart, and can say with extreme confidence Rydges Hobart has been the most enjoyable. I also heard a rumour that a monthly “Chocolate High Tea” would be happening…. Can’t wait for that!! I would highly recommend Rydges Hobart High Tea to all.