I did a 6-share female dorm at this YHA. And I should say the experience ain't too shabby.
I think lets get our facts right, this is a backpacker style hostel, one shouldn't expect any more than that. If any hotel room rate falls in the range of this hostel due to an offer, go ahead and stay at a hotel. Otherwise, most hotel rates doesn't come close.
I stayed at both a hotel (Mercure Hadley) and YHA Montys in my recent trip, and I should say I am much happier at YHA.
1) The toilets are clean (the hostel has a high occupancy rate but the toilets are so well maintained, good job!) And compared to YHA Adelaide, they are much nicer. If feels almost like a hotel toilet except that you have to share it with others. None of that cubicle stuff.
2) Toilets are equipped with hairdryer. This is such a big plus cos Tasmania can be seriously cold... hair takes eons to dry otherwise.
3) Centralised location. You could really get anywhere you need to go (like in a touristy way) just by walking. And Woolies is a block away, so supermarketing is a breeze.
4) Thankfully sufficient wall sockets for all of us to get around to charging our devices.
5) Friendly service, complete with the good o' aussie humour.
Now the down side:
1) Okay, I admit, the climb to get to the room (especially with my backpack on) is a bummer. And after walking around in Hobart all day, climbing those steep flights of stairs isn't cool.
2) The kitchen isn't well ventilated. I don't really mind the size, I mean, we can take turns BUT the stale smell of cooked food lingers for way too long, and sometimes even goes up the stairwells. One of the evening, someone decided to really cook up a storm... and the dish is probably something that isn't quite in my food culture so my gag reflex went into overdrive.
Otherwise, I would definitely stay in Monty's again :)
- Also Known As:
- Montgomery's Private Hotel & YHA Backpackers Hobart, Tasmania