“Best hotel ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Melbourne
“Best hotel ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Don't bother staying anywhere else when you are in Hobart. It is worth the slightly extra expense and I will definitely be coming back here - in fact I am looking forward to my next trip and wont bother staying anywhere else! First of all the driver who picked us up from the hotel was extremely friendly and pointed out all the different sites around the place. On our way from the airport to the hotel he offered to drop us at the Salamanca markets for us to look around for an hour and he would wait for us. We declined as I wasn't feeling well and just wanted to get straight to the hotel but it was a nice offer.
The hotel is located in a suburb full of amazing old homes and it is surrounded by a high fence which you have to enter using a special key which opens the electic gates. It is not far from Hobart city centre, we walked from the hotel to the city and it took approximately 10 minutes - or a $10 cab ride (max).
The gardens are beautiful and it feels like you are entering a private house. There is no lobby and you are personally greeted by the host and given a tour of the property and shown to your room - where everything is explained. We stayed in the new section of the house with a room that had a direct view to Mount Wellington.
The rooms are very spacious, the bed is king size and very comfortable. There is an ipad which you can synch to your own iphone and play your own music - and complimentary WIFI. Further to this there is also a complimentary mini-bar - the mini bar had fresh apple juice, sparkling water, still water, ginger beer and milk (to accompany a selection of T2 teas). The bathroom is huge and has a deep bath with a separate shower and Aesop toiletries - also, the floors are heated which is a treat!!
We dined in-house the first night and the waiter was extremely attentive. We had the main dining area to ourselves so in between meals we would sit with our wines in front of the fire place until the next meal was served. The food was amazing and fresh - you could see the chef working and even though there was only one chef we didn't wait very long to be served.
You can enjoy any room of the house to sit down and relax in front of the many open fire places. I enjoyed the conservatory (the conservatory has heated floors!) where I would sit in front of the fire reading books, eating freshly cracked walnuts and enjoying a drink from the honour bar. If you're feeling peckish throughout the day you can also enjoy complimentary muffins and cookies.
All the staff are extremely helpful, friendly and welcoming. We checked out on Monday morning and I was feeling extremely unwell and we were welcome to sit on the couch in front of the fire place til well past check out time, I really appreciated this gesture.
The only negative thing that I would have to say is that the water temperature in the showers don't reach a really high temperature (but then again I enjoy scorching showers).
I implore everyone coming to Hobart to visit The Islington you definitely won't regret it, I have travelled a lot and have never visited such an amazing hotel anywhere in the world.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
The-General-Managers, General Manager at Islington Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Wow! We are all so blown away with incredible detail, this review must have taken ages and we thank you so much for the time it took to sing our praises. So many positive things to say ......and one negative. I will address the later. Our licence includes a clause that regulates the water temperature of our rain showers so that no one is properly scorched by over hot water. That said I’m a bit of a hot water fiend myself and find it best to run a really hot bath, order a bottle of Tassie bubbles and relax into it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Hotel Islington is completely and utterly gorgeous in every single way. From the moment you arrive until the moment you leave you are treated with the kind of hospitality that I would have only ever thought was fit for a king. The hotel is situated over looking the gorgeous Mount Wellington and sits within spectacular gardens and surroundings, not too far from everything Hobart. They have thought of everything here, from complementary coffee (real espresso, port and mini bar) to high end AESOP toiletries. I left having felt I didn’t even really need to bring much for my stay at all apart from myself.

The staff here are absolutely fantastic and provide the best hospitality that I have ever encountered. On the day we arrived Francesco took us under his wing to ensure our stay was one that will be remembered for a very long time. There is real sense of pride glowing from the people that work here and it is easy to see why with such a gorgeous place, with so much history and great food.

I feel enriched having stayed here and cannot wait to come back for what was one of, if not the best hotel I have ever stayed at it.

Also, if you are lucky enough to stay here please do yourself a favour and have an evening dinner here. You will not forget it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the atic room and thought it was absolutely gorgeous. Any of the rooms here will impres...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
The-General-Managers, General Manager at Islington Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
We all really appreciate the wonderful compliments from Michael, especially our effortlessly charming maître d’ Franco who is the newest member of our team and completely chuffed to be singled out. It’s true we do all work in the best little hotel in the world, and I think that does come across when we relate to everyone. Even our produce suppliers and delivery men say we’re the happiest place to visit.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We took the opportunity to have a long weekend away in Hobart. Based on word of mouth, and the odd review we had read, we decided to try the Islington as it seemed like the perfect place for us. It was the first night of our Tasmanian trip, with the second on site at MONA. We weren't sure how the Islington would stand up against a pavilion at MONA, but as it turns out it was a fantastic stay which we loved every minute of. What a beautiful B&B it is. The property is spectacular. A gorgeous old home, set in beautiful surrounds. The new section, with its stunning glass conservatory is equally spectacular. The art and furniture is beautiful and you can spend hours just wandering around the home with the guide notes reading about each piece. We stayed only 1 night, and chose to jump at the chance to eat in. The food was truly spectacular. Our NZ friend John cooked up a storm. The local produce a real treat for us from the mainland. Fresh Tassie oysters by the fire with some Tasmanian sparkling the perfect way to begin out 4 course meal. Try the risotto and its secret ingredient from Francesco. We couldn't speak more highly of the food and excellent wines available. The room was lovely, an excellent bed and all the little details (e.g. tea and water and juice) also adding to the experience. The new section was very comfortable, with a beautiful bath to soak in and we had no issues with the heat in the cold Tasmanian winter. Overall, the stay was very memorable, capped off by an amazing breakfast cooked to order. The staff were all fantastic, always happy to help and eager to make the stay easier. I must also add how helpful a complimentary umbrella was down at the markets! Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We are told the rooms in the new section are newer and warmer.
Peregian Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We took up this offer for my birthday at the end of June this year. We had not been to hobart before but The Islington was very nice. Most definately a 5* B&B. Being Queenslanders we wanted some proper 'winter weather' and we were not disappointed, cold nights but sunny days and no miserable rain! We had a special dinner here in one of the rooms on one of the nights and it was excellent. The Chef and the Italian waiter ( sorry forgot his name) made the night one to remember. We have stayed in some fabulous hotels around the world and The Islington did not let us down. No its not 'cheap' but you only get what you pay for when it comes to hotels and as i stay away a lot in country Queensland sometimes you can pay $200 without breakfast and the room and service are the pits!!. The Islington is a great place to chill out and relax!

Room Tip: Take the Garden room. Awesome views of Mt. Wellington!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
The-General-Managers, General Manager at Islington Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
I love that the Queenslanders note Hobart is a place to ‘chill out’, so true in July. The wonderful thing about Tasmania and Hobart especially is there is far less rain than Qld, far less than Melbourne as well. In fact Hobart is the second driest capital in Australia! We enjoy a lovely snap to the morning air, emphasizing how clean it is, and then beautiful clear sunny skies are the norm. At night there’s always a roaring log fire and underfloor heating to keep you cosy, silk draped sitting rooms and warm hearty meals. A ‘bit of winter’ really never looked better.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Islington Hotel for our honeymoon. We had high expectations, from friends who had been there, and these were exceeded - our stay was terrific. The staff and chef were friendly and always helpful but the food was especially great. Sarah and I had plans to try a different restaurant each night but had to go back to the Islington for a second night because the first was so good. The artwork and furniture really make it a special stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lovely to hear such praise for the Islington Kitchen, thanks Paul and Sarah. The restaurant now has evening meals available 7 nights a week. Tasmania has such natural bounty; the producers Chef Jonathan Alexander has nurtured relationships with now ensure we see the best of what the state has to offer. The simple elegance of his plates is juxtaposed by the flamboyantly eclectic art collection all around the hotel, a feast for the eyes and the belly.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I took my husband on a surprise trip to Hobart for his birthday and there is nothing but wonderful things that I can say about the people that proudly run it and the beauty of the place itself.

Even before we arrived I needed help in finding special places to take him for lunch & dinner, car hire, places to visit etc. Tara and Selina provided extensive assistance via email and before I knew it our itinerary had been organised. So even before I got there - I was grateful and impressed.

When we finally arrived - we were met by the charming Francesco whose love & enthusiasm for his work is not only immediately obvious but his attention to detail we later discovered was impeccable and thoughtful - the Islington is very lucky to have him.

We were taken for a tour of the rooms which were very inviting - it was like being taken on a tour at a friends (very glamorous) house - with fireplaces dotted throughout and beautiful, intriguing art & furniture and the piece de resistance - the conservatory & kitchen that provided a welcoming burst of sunshine on a brisk cold day. All tea, coffee, soft drinks are complimentary - and these aren't just run of the mill - all their tea is T2, their soft drinks are boutique and their water is my absolute favourite Tasmanian Rain. Walking through - John the chef was preparing dinner and the aromas were enticing and added to the deliciously warm atmosphere.

We spent a good deal of time that weekend sitting in the rooms beside the fire talking, drinking tea and staring at the art in front of us - it was the most wonderful time to relax in a life where we rarely sit down. It was a glorious reprieve from the hustle bustle of our lives.

The absolute highlight of our trip was dinner at the Islington. I had organised dinner for my husband's birthday and was worried that it wasn't going to be special enough - I had let Tara know that it was for his birthday and had asked that we could have a candle on his dessert - that's all that I expected. But when we walked through - Francesco (who was not only concierge but also maitre d' of the restaurant) guided us past the conservatory into the absolutely gorgeous red room for a private birthday dinner. Walking into the room with candles on a special table made for us... all I can say is that our hearts were singing. You can't ask for such thoughtfulness. We were so touched. I also have to note that my dietary requirements are gluten and dairy free and at no point was that a problem - in fact I managed to enjoy the most inspiring food from John that evening. The menu was impressive and the servings were generous. The quality of the food & the service was of the highest standard - the skill shown by Francesco and John that evening was breathtaking. We cannot thank them enough - we walked away after that evening feeling so blessed that we had been able to experience these artisans at work. The people of the Islington clearly make this place magical and they make you feel like a long lost friend.

We cannot recommend this place enough - it's a beautiful, peaceful place and we loved every moment that we were there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
The-General-Managers, General Manager at Islington Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
It is a real pleasure to read such a heartfelt account our hotel. The fantastic team here make everything look so easy it’s sometimes possible to miss the underlying hard work they perform every day. The enthusiasm, attentiveness and care Selina, Tara, Francesco, Joe, Natalie and Sarah display while attending to our guests is in my opinion second to none and it appears I’m not the only one who thinks so.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is a charming, small hotel that offers the cosiness of a very smart B and B, with some of the “extras” provided by a hotel.

The property is located in beautiful grounds on the edge of downtown Hobart. On arrival, we were greeted warmly by Tara who gave us an overview of the property, which includes some sitting areas on the ground floor that are furnished with some amazing antique pieces as well as objets d’art from around the world. You get the feeling that you are staying in a rather grand family home! Our Regency Room was located on the first floor and it was huge with a spectacular view of Mt Wellington. The mini bar is complimentary with a small selection of beers and wine. The tea is from T2 and is loose leaf. The coffee is ground and for a plunger. The bathroom, too, was also generously proportioned with separate shower and toilet. There is a bath but is small and did not look particularly inviting. The only issue I had with the room was that the paint was peeling in a couple of places and the desk chair was not particularly comfortable.
The toiletries are Aesop and limited to soap, shampoo and conditioner but no body lotion which I thought a little odd for a 5 star establishment.
We had dinner at the hotel on the first night and the food was very good. My husband said that his steak was one of the best he had eaten. The service from the one waiter was outstanding. In fact I don’t know how he did it. He was on his own and managed to look after six or seven tables as well as welcome some arriving guests and show them to their room.
Breakfast was included in our rate and could not be faulted – lovely homemade muesli, followed by perfectly cooked poached eggs on sour dough toast and great coffee. Would we stay here again? Absolutely – it has a lovely feel and all the staff were delightful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
The-General-Managers, General Manager at Islington Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for the very in depth account of your stay with us the time taken is much appreciated. I’m able to say that the wall has had a new coat of paint and we’ve made the Aesop cleanser and body lotion easier to find in the bathrooms. The bath in your room was size restricted due to an original wall that is made from convict built sandstone and hence heritage listed, it does look cozy but I assure you once you’re in there is plenty of soaking room. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you both back soon.

Been to Islington Hotel? Share your experiences!