“good place with friendly people” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Narrara Backpackers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hobart
Narrara Backpackers
You added Narrara Backpackers to your Saves list
88 Goulburn St, Hobart, Tasmania 7000, Australia   |
Ranked #31 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Hobart
Hobart, Australia
“good place with friendly people”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I ve never were so nice welcomed to a hostel.Mo is one of the friendly manager ive ever meet.And he helps u with everything.I stayed for over a week and meet a lot of nice people here.My room was nice and clean.So was the bathroom.Just the kitchen was a no go.It was messy and i didnt like to cook there.But all together i really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I had stay for four nights in Narrara with my friend, and we love there so much. Mo is very kindly and helpful. Our room was clean and quiet! It's really a nice place for travellers to have great rest. If I have a chance to visit Hobart again, i will choose Narrara also! Mo, thank for your help!!!! Hope to see you next time!

• Stayed February 2013
Hobart, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This backpacker is the end of my 3 weeks NZ/AU trip. Unfortunately my journey ends like a nightmare in Hobart, the so-called best travelling city of lonely-planet.

1) The Female Washroom is dark and dirty, BONUS: lots of long hair on the wall.
2) The double room is unbelievably small. If you are over 55kg (f) 70kg (m) I dont think you can move around in the room.
3) The kitchen is dirty, didnt bother to use it as I was already 99% sick of this place.
4) Bed bugs. You can see them!
5) Pillow case....
6) It is very noisy, not in the building but the nearby teenagers in the street

You have been warned!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed there for two nights in Narrara with my friend, and we do enjoy it. Mo is very friendly and helpful, you can get all the useful hints from him. Our family studio is clean and quiet, and it got hot water 24 hours a day. It's really a nice place for travellers to spend great time. If we have a chance to visit Hobart again, we still will choose Narrara! Thanks a lot Mo.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I don't know what happenned last winter when people wrote some pretty bad reviews, although I stayed here in June last year and winter of 2010 also and it was fine then, too. But personally I find Narrara vastly better than your usual backpackers and I won't stay at a backpackers unless it's this place. Even the people who have complained have acknowledged that the rooms are tidy and the linen fresh and clean and that's one of the main reasons I stay here, along with the fact that the lounge and dining areas are really nice, nice decor with lovely big, black leather sofas as with the decor of the rooms and the upstairs living area is cosy too. The whole place is more like a cosy suburban house in an old Victorian home that just happens to be a backpackers and as such is vastly more comfortable than other backpackers, which basically are like train stations with beds. This time I shared a small mixed dorm with a bit of a revolving cast of three girls, which was a riot seeing all the beauty and grooming artillery, but it was fine, everyone was really cool. I haven't found the showers to be any different to other backpackers, but you're not paying for four star accomodation and you're not going to get it. You have to weigh up the pros and cons, and at $23-28 a night, it's a minor concern, they are not that bad and the pros far outweigh the cons. If you want an ensuite, stay at the Grand Chancellor! Likewise the kitchen, it's the same as any other backpackers, Mo takes quite a lot of pride in keeping the place hospitable, his wife take cleanliness seriously and doesn't put up with messiness. As I only have breakfast in and eat out the rest of the time I'm not that dependent on the kitchen, but for the people who cook there it seems fine. And not least, Mo is a charismatically friendly guy, I'm always made welcome, he goes out of his way to keep the place running smoothly, as everyone says is the perfect host and his wife is very nice too. Finally this is the only place I've ever stayed where I've met, liked, missed and felt sad about losing contact with the people I've gotten friendly with the last two times I stayed there such as Jack from Taiwan, you're a dude! Thanks Mo and your wife for everything.

• Stayed January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I didnt know what to expect when i got to the hostel. But I got the mosst friendliest welcome than in any other hostel. Mo the manager is really nice and always up far a little chat, he was very helpful during my stay :)
It was clean and a relaxed atmosphere.
the only negative point were that the wifi didnt work properly but that should be fixed soon and it was quite cold on the walkways.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights in January 2012. It was great, the staff are very helpful, the rooms clean and comfortable and much better than Montgomery's YHA which was on a noisy street (constant clanging of the clock tower all night!). The showers and kitchen could be a little better but overall I thought it was very good. The location is a short walk to the city centre and Salamanca markets, there is a cafe (good coffee!) not far up the road and a health foods shop a couple of blocks away.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Narrara Backpackers? Share your experiences!