“Good for Work” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Hotel Hobart

You added Rydges Hotel Hobart to your Saves list
Rydges Hotel Hobart
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Argyle and Lewis St, Hobart, Tasmania 7000, Australia   |
Ranked #41 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Launceston
“Good for Work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed here for a work, and found it most suitable. The room was spacious, have a comfortable bed, and a good workspace to do computer work from the room. Parking was plentiful.

The restuarant was good (better than most), the staff were friendly and helpful.

It is my first choice for a work.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Great to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found the bed and the room comfortable.
I must admit we do receive a lot of great feedback about the Rydges Dream Beds.
I will definately pass on your comments to Chef and his team. They have been working hard to ensure each and every meal that comes out of that kitchen is top quality and it seems like it is working.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges hobart in the near future.

Danny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed for one night for a business trip. The room was offered at a great price. It also included breakfast. It was a 9 minute walk to where we needed to go. Great Service. The spanish waiter at dinner was fabulous. The food was great. The buffet breakfast had great variety and was presented beautifully. I didn't like the French Toast but I will pick better next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Chef has been working extremely hard to get the menu right and it seems that he has done so. We have also implemented the new Rydges Rise Breakfast concept into Rydges Hobart and have been receiving fantastic feedback. We have expanded the cold buffet and the hot breakfast is served a la carte, hence hot, fresh breakfast every time.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges hobart in the near future as we strive to do what we do better and better.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Paid $146 for a room thinking it would be nice and was sorely let down. Dreadful curtains with rings missing and hard to pull across. Inside kitchen cupboards were peeling off, cupboard didn't close properly, drawer hard to open, water stain on wooden wall, no lounge ( two dodgy old chairs)
Coming back to Hobart next weekend and will definitely not be staying here again. Would have expected the price to be about $80 for this room at a dodgy motel not a rydges resort.
Tina

• Stayed September 2012
I was very disappointed to read that you didnt enjoy your stay with us. I must agree that the curtains can be difficult to open and close but the maintenance team are working their way through all the rooms to try and solve these issues.

I do hope that you will give us another chance to prove to you that we are constantly trying to achieve and exceed our guests expectations by improving what and how we do what we do.

I look forward to the oppotunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Narre Warren, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

An older hotel but clean adequate accommodation. Rooms are large and heating good ... Restaurant food was very good and the waiter looked after our every need. Too far from the city without a car. Wi fi charges on top of daily tariff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as clean rooms, good food and service is what we aim to achieve each and every time. The team have been working extremely hard to achieve these goals and its great to get the feedback that they are being met and acknowledged by our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Just got back from our stay at Rydges..selected this hotel for one like many the old style charm...a beautiful heritage building lovely gardens and all the staff I had the pleasure to meet were great...but the accommodation was average..like others have mentioned the building was an add on to look like the others but the maintenance had not been kept up...as I have and still do work in hospitality I was disappointed..side table lamp didn't work, missing light globe in light fitting in lounge area, complete light shade in bedroom missing only the metal ring left, toilet flush that noisy it sounded like a jet taking off, bed uncomfortable it looked like to beds pushed together so the join in the middle was uncomfortable, curtain rings missing..Ok this is not a huge problem but when I work hard for my dollar I expect quality in return. I'm not asking for a luxury suite but expected better for the name Rydges.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Great to read that you loved the old heritage building and that the staff were great but I was disappointed to read that we missed some of the basics such as light globes.

I would normally check about 5 rooms per day myself and had not come across this but will definately speak with the maintenance team to ensure this type of thing is rectified immediately.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future to see for yourself how we are constantly making improvements in all facets of the hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

An old building converted into a hotel with extra wings added. Has a nice old world charm. Rooms are specious for families with children and view is good. Service is average. Hotel is far from city center so if you are not driving; it is not a convenient location as you can not walk to the city center (uphill climb from city to hotel).

We stayed here for three nights and enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Take the upper floor rooms offering nice views of the harbor in the distance.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
It is a beautiful heritage building and like you mentioned, the rooms are large and can accommodate families as well as the individual traveller.

I hear what you are saying about the distance to town but I personally dont mind the 2km walk into town and back, it gives me the exercise I need after a week of sitting in the office.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

Located away from the CBD. The room is old and tired. Perhaps the oldest Rydges I've ever stayed in. The room we stayed in was noisy and we could hear people going in and out. We could also hear the tap/water running on pipes in the middle of the night. We didn't have hot water in the morning and we had to have cold shower. They also charged for using credit card, that is rather unacceptable given that such well recognised brand name of hotel should be capable of paying the merchant fee. Wouldn't recommended if you have other choices.

• Stayed August 2012
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Rydges Hobart is heritage listed with the main building having been built in 1914. This, along with the two National trust Cottages add to the old world charm of the hotel and capture the essence of historic Hobart.

Thank you for letting me know about the hot water. We did have an issue with one of the water tanks but my Maintenance Manager has repaired it so all should now be fine.

regards
Danny

Been to Rydges Hotel Hobart? Share your experiences!