“Rated as 4 because of value for money, but rooms a bit tired.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Hotel Hobart

You added Rydges Hotel Hobart to your Saves list
Rydges Hotel Hobart
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Argyle and Lewis St, Hobart, Tasmania 7000, Australia   |
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
“Rated as 4 because of value for money, but rooms a bit tired.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011 via mobile

Rooms are dated, beds are good, location ok if you have a car. Given the price we paid (total of $303 for 3 nights for 2 adults & 2 kids including full breakfasts) this was excellent value. However if you are seeking a 4 star experience I think this falls short.

• Stayed November 2011
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, November 27, 2011
Hi Julielan,

It was great to read that you found the hotel to be good value for money. Being a ten minute walk from town, having a car and free parking at the hotel is a real bonus as well as not having the noise from the inner city hustle and bustle.
You are right about the beds as we do receive a lot of very positive feedback about the Rydges Dream Beds, some even saying that they are waking up earlier and feeling more refreshed.
Updating our rooms is something I will continue to work on moving forward and I look forward to the opportunity of looking after you again in the near future.

Danny Veis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed at the hotel at the beginning of November for one night and were very impressed. The room was large, clean and with a good view of the AFL pitch and the sea in the distance. The staff were friendly and let us leave our baggage at reception before we could check in. To the city centre it’s a 30 minute walk, although there are buses from Elizabeth St (which is about a 10 minute walk). Along this street there are also many restaurants and a couple of bars, so it’s not really too far away from stuff to do. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the team were friendly and helpful. It's definately something we have been speaking to the team about so great that it continues to flow through. I will definately be discussing your positive feedback at our next morning meeting and will ensure the heads of departments continue to do as they are currently doing.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Our recent stay at the Rydges Hotel was perfect. My partner and I wanted a relaxing weekend away and thats excately what we had. The staff within the Rydges Hotel were wonderful, all very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and very clean. Views of the city from our room were amazing. Food in the Restaurant was very nice, service was also quick and friendly. Overall enjoyed our stay at the Rydges Hotel and will definately recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the team continue to be friendly and helpful. The new chef will be delighted that you enjoyed your meal and I will be discussing your positive feedback with the heads of department team at our next morning meeting.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

This hotel is one of a kind! The heritage building as you walk into reception gives you an experience you will not get anywhere else. You are greeted with a lovely smile from all the reception staff, with nothing being too much trouble. The rooms upstairs look out over hobart, without the hussle and bustle of the city noise.

Want somewhere to stay where you dont have to pay ridiculous parking fee's? Then stay here. Everything you could need within a hotel, with only a max 50m walk to your car !

The restaurant I believe has just got a new chef, and all credit to him, dinner was just delicious !

Staff, rooms, quality of service, value for money, all outstanding !

A breath of fresh air when on holiday !

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
You are absolutely right, there is something very special about our heritage building and we do receive a lot of very positive feedback such as yours. Great to hear that the team continue to meet and great with a big smile and do all they can for our guests.
The new Executive Chef will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meals and I will be discussing your feedback with the rest of the team at our next morning meeting.

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Totally annoyed at the service. Rang to make a booking for 3 nights, they took my credit card details and confirmed dates to stay. Twice I told them the dates over the phone to make sure the dates were correct. Just thought I would make sure so rang back on the day of the first night to find that our booking had been changed and instead of 3 nights they only had us for 2 nights and they were all booked and could not help. So cancelled booking and had to find a new place on the day of arrival for 3 nights. Lucky another place had accommodation. So if you are staying here I would recommend you confirm your booking before you arrive. Not good enough!!

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
I thank you for bringing this to my attention and can appreciate how annoying this is. I agree with you that this truly is not good enough. I would appreciate if you would make contact with me at the hotel so we can discuss this further allowing me to apologise in person for the inconvenience, as well as find out whom you dealt with over the phone, so I can speak with them directly and ensure the correct procedures are being followed so this type of thing does not reoccur.
Again, I apologise profusely and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

On our recent trip to Hobart we couldn't have enjoyed our stay more at Rydges Hotel. When driving into the property at Rydges Hobart we were delighted with the enormous amount of "free" parking available and the beautiful heritage buildings and surroundings. On check in we received excellent customer service from all staff who were extremely helpful throughout the stay! What can I say about the "Rydges Dream Beds" Fantastic!!! Food both Room Service and in the Restaurant was very enjoyable. Our room was spacious, clean and had a fantastic veiw of Hobart. Only a short walk to the ciy centre and waterfront, with plenty of cafe's & restaurant choices only one block over. I would highly recommend Rydges Hobart, we will definately be back!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel offer a fantastic veiw.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
It was terrific to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Rydges hobart. We are a relatively new team here at Rydges Hobart and all that you have mentioned is what the entire team are working hard to achieve and I will definately be passing on your feedback at our next morning meeting.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

we stayed only 1 night(27th october) in the old building.the only good point was the comfortable bed.the room had a large bathroom(very tired)with shower over the bath-ok,but it's 2011 now:the kitchen was 25 years past an update.no help with bags and you will get wet on a rainy day as the carpark is not that handy.there was no air con and the only window was screwed shut -we did manage to get the top sash of this double hung open -otherwise we would have suffocated-when i mentioned the screwed up window i was told there was a fan in the room---what the??.do not stay here if you think it is handy to the hobart cbd because it's not unless you have transport;north adelaide cafes etc are nearby.we presented our rydges card but were told it was invalid because we booked on the net-???doesn't everyone??we won't be back.to rydes.anywhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
It was great to hear that you enjoyed the Rydges Dream Bed as we do receive a lot of positive feedback about our beds but I was disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy the rest of your stay. Unfortunately, we do not have air conditioning in all of our rooms and having 105 free car spaces on sight can on occasion make it a short walk to the main building from the car park.
Due to the age of the building and the Heritage listing some of the windows do rattle with high winds, so in an attempt to ensure a better night sleep for our guests, and until we have permission to replace or repair we have screwed the bottom windows shut but is definitely on my list of things to try and get done.
I have also spoken with my front office team to ensure they are all aware of the RPG benefits and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I look forward to the opportunity of looking after you in the future and showing you how we are continuously trying to improve in all aspects of what we do here in Hobart.

Danny Veis

Been to Rydges Hotel Hobart? Share your experiences!