“Not worth it!” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Motel   |   96 Sandy Bay Rd, Hobart, Tasmania 7000, Australia   |
Ranked #44 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
“Not worth it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Arrived at the hotel pleasantly surprised with the location. After 3 phone calls in the previous week to confirm details of booking we arrived to find our booking was still not right. After watching the manager play the blame game on staff that were not present (never a great sign)we proceeded to be charged substantially more than quoted! Being offered a free cancellation on the first day of our interstate stay was hardly compensation. Won't use again.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. The location was great- a very short walk to anything and everything. The rooms were on the older side but very comfortable. Free wifi was handy and the views from the top were lovely. Only one disappointment was that we booked our stay with breakfast every morning but this was never mentioned by the staff and so we missed out on the first mornings breakfast being delivered as they didn't bother to tell us. Luckily we went back over our booking the last night and the next morning we mentioned the breakfast to the staff and it was promptly brought to our room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dalkeith, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This has to be the worse hotel I have ever stayed in!
Upon arrival I was dropped off at the back door and was horrified by my first impression but I have stayed at many hotels with a drab exterior so I waited to give it a chance.
I entered via the exit and made my way to reception which was shut off. Check-in wasn't for an hour and a half but I was hoping to leave my bag and nip to the loo!
The bell for attention was on the desk which was shut off so i searched in vain to find a member of staff. After a while I found a cleaner and asked if there was a toilet, he led me to a toilet but it was a discusting one in the cleaning cupboard with dirty towels and mops everywhere.
I waited for an hour and half to check in and my room was certainly not worth the wait. My room was freezing with no working heater. The toilet was grotty and had ants crawling through the window- these ants ended up crawling into bed with me that night! There was an other door in my room with a boiler which clanged loudly throughout the night which kept me up - I tried to complain but of course no one was at reception! There also as a horrible mesh over the window which spoilt the lovely view of Mt. Wellington and made me feel like I was in prison!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Staff are helpful but dont expect to much. Heater was broken in bathroom, electric blanket on single bed only half worked, toilet kept sticking and wouldnt stop flushing. Asked staff to fix but was never fixed. Room was dusty, bathroom had mold and didnt look very well cleaned. Soap never replenished when used. No smoke sensors or alarms. Tv mounted over bench making bench virtually unusable. Exhaust fan in bathroom just circulates air in the room not vented to outside. Honestly a bit over priced for what it is.

Room Tip: For same money we could of stayed at a 6 star without a car park.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We had emailed to let staff know when we were to arrive (around 10.30) when we got the no staff around and hotel door locked! Had to get the website up on iPhone to get a phone number to ring and get let in!

Rooms average, get what you pay for.
Car park very small.

• Stayed August 2011
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Location was good & although probably a bit overpriced (on the weekend) for what it was, it is still a cheaper option than a lot of places.
We actually stayed on 2 nights with 1 night away in the middle. We got 2 different rooms. The 1st 1 was larger & had a 2 great heaters & an electric blanket. The 2nd room had a plug in heater that was inadequate & I couldn't get the blanket to work. Both rooms had bathroom heaters & fans on the ceiling, 1 didn't work & the other 1 had no remote control so we couldn't use that either. So with bathroom windows that didn't close properly the bathroom was very cold.
The bathrooms were poorly designed & the 1st 1 had such a small sink with a little shelf directly above it which made it almost impossible to wash your face or brush your teeth. The 1st bathroom had no hot water & the in the 2nd I couldn't turn on the taps in the shower because they were so stiff.
Generally the rooms were clean but in the 2nd room I found blood stains on the pillowcase!
I also heard someone in the hall complaining that their iron didn't work.
So the overall the impression was that it wasn't a bad place but could do with a bit of modernizing & fixing up & some improvements to the layout to make things easier.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

The Blue Hills is only a 15-minute walk from Salamanca and the harbor. There is no restaurant at the hotel, and they follow the unfortunate Hobart custom of most 3-star motels of not having any staff present from 8pm to 8 am. They do offer great free WiFi, a relatively rare option in Australia.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Hills Motel? Share your experiences!