“Fantastic food - particularly the scallops” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #118 of 460 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: one of the hidden gems of hobart, a great pub. definately deserves a spot on Trip Advisor.
“Fantastic food - particularly the scallops”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The best scallops I have eaten in Hobart for quite some time. Friendly pub atmosphere, all in a central location. We will certainly be back.

Visited October 2012

“Great Classic Aussie Pub Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

We had a great steak with some delicious cheap deserts. Plus the beers came fast and cold, which is always appreciated!

Hobart
“Great service, generous serves, quality food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Went there with members of our car club visiting from Victoria. There were about a dozen in our party. Everything was outstanding! The service was spot on, the staff very friendly and helpful. The food was best quality "pub food", done to perfection and very generously sized serves. One Vic member who had been eagerly anticipating a "good parma" but hadn't found one anywhere in his Tas travels was rewarded with a real beauty, and so large it overlapped the plate! I can't remember what I had, but I do remember that both my wife and I were very impressed and vowed to return, preferably with friends.
They don't split bills on EFTpos, but they cheerfully processed a cash-out for anyone who needed cash to pay their share.
Truly old-fashioned hospitality, lovely service, the nicest of people to deal with. Highly recommended. My colleagues all roundly congratulated the member who'd made the booking!

• Visited November 2011
Launceston, Australia
“Hobarts Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

A wonderful little pub with great steaks and no gambling.
The service at this pub is exceptional. The meals are generous, well priced and you would be very, very lucky to find a pub or restaurant that is so welcoming. Loved it and you will too.

• Visited September 2012
Hobart, Tasmania
“I want to give a lower rating but cannot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My family and I returned to the Ocean Child last night for a meal to celebrate a couple of birthdays. Right from the start the experience was pleasant. Friendly staff, efficient service and even complimentary pub loaves due to celebrating a couple of birthdays. The speed of service was good too. The only disappointment I had was that my steak was overcooked. I ordered a fillet mignon and it was huge. It was supposedly medium rare, but when I cut into it it was well done! I should have returned it, but because it was such a huge beautiful piece of steak I ate it . It was indeed a beautiful piece of steak just overcooked! Once again the Ocean Child has left a good impression. Next time though I think I will speak up, as if the steak I had last night had been medium rare, the experience would have been just as good as the last time !

• Visited August 2012