“Great pizza” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Cargo Bar Pizza Lounge is set in the heart of historic Salamanca Place. Built from Georgian sandstone in the 1830's the original site was used to house grain, wool and apples before being exported around the world. Today this 180 year old building is home to Hobart's premier woodfired pizza and wine bar which incorporates a style and service to inside and outside licensed areas. There is also a take away area for coffee, delicious pizzas, gourmet salads and homemade gelato. The bar theme is based on an old world European concept incorporating style and elegance within a casual environment.
Melbourne, Australia
“Great pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We ate here during the Christmas / New Year period so the place was packed and had a great atmosphere. Pizzas were great and worth the 30 minute wait. Staff friendly and helpful. Definitely would go back!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hobart, Australia
“Trendy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Cargo is a trendy hangout for many. Of a night time it is packed with night life. Excellent pizzas, great for gelato take away to walk around Salamanca with. Friendly staff.

• Visited July 2012
Hobart
“Great relaxing place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This place is buzzing and has a great selection of alcohol. I would definately recommend this place for a mid afternoon drink and snack with a couple of friends.

Visited November 2012
“Best Pizza I've ever had!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Had the Roast Beef pizza and it was amazing. Everyone I dined with loved their pizza. We were warned about the 40 min wait when ordering so at least it was no surprise. The bar staff were very friendly and helpful when ordering with my qsts as I have a peanut allergy. Atmosphere was excellent for all age groups..great for people watching. Only small negative was a couple of the female wait staff were not very friendly..think they wished they were elsewhere.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Great food, lovely venue. Slow, lackluster service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Four stars hands down for good pizza(and a lot of great choices), a nice drink menu(though a bit on the pricey side), good selection of wines and a really cool, classy atmosphere smack dab in Salamanca. Did I mention that they play good music too???? They have the perfect setup to deliver a great night of good food, good drinks in a killer atmosphere.

Where they unfortunately failed was in the length of time if took to get my pizza. I had driven in from Launnie via Port Arthur so I was TIRED and just wanted a bite and a glass of wine before settling in. So I placed my order, got my number and my glass of pinot noir and took a seat outside to wait for my pizza.

I paced myself on my glass of light and fragrant wine...REALLY paced myself because after about 15 minutes I noticed a family who had been sitting outside waiting for their meal before I even walked in to order. There were also two ladies also seated outside who had ordered right before me. So at that point I KNEW I was in for a wait.

10 minutes after this the family was finally served and I had sadly finished my wine. 5 minutes after that my pizza came out. I watched the two ladies (who had ordered before me) patiently waiting for their order. Suffice it to say, I had finished and was ready to leave before they were finally served.

What is frustrating about this is that the place was not busy by any means and you'd think that the staff who came out occasionally to clear other tables would have checked in with us to let us know how our food was coming but they just cleared tables and walked back in barely acknowledging that we had been outside waiting for a while.

As for those ladies who ordered before me but were served after, MAYBE they ordered a kosher ham, halal sausage, gluten-free, hindu vegetarian, North Atlantic lobster, Buffalo mozzarella special which took more time....maybe. But if I were the manager I would have offered them a glass of wine or dessert for the amount of time they waited.

So bottom line, the pizza was really good but the wait was really excessive. They're not overly pricey but not exactly cheap so for the money, you'd think they'd coordinate their service and preparation a little better to expedite service somewhat especially when someone comes in ravenously hungry for some pizza

• Visited November 2012