“Heavenly food in a garage” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #113 of 460 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Eclectic
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: Website is under construction. Luke Burgess is chef. e-mail is info@garagistes.com.au
Sydney
“Heavenly food in a garage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I know it should all be about the food. But sometimes, the atmosphere and the surrounds can impact on the enjoyment of the food as well. Unless you are one of those people who can tune things out. Unfortunately, I can't. So let me get this out of the way first. The décor needs some attention. As does the long share tables. Plus why are most of the tables up high while the last one normal height? The people next to us went on and on about how they disliked the wine list which was a distraction because they were right next to us. Literally!

But that aside, the food was amazing! It is a set course degustation with a couple of choices within it to make. Plus they can pair the course with sake. I chose the sake pairing. I am not a sake expert but they were great choices - I could taste the differences between each sake. The information sheet they give you also helps!

I can't elaborate more about the food without sounding like an idiot. But I must tell you that it was truly worth a visit. The flavours were fantastic, harmonious and innovative in flavour combinations. The ingredients - stunning! Some I have not come across before. the only down-side was the first dish, the Autumn Snacks. Not as powerful and interesting as the ones that followed.

Truly a great experience and one I hope to be able to replicate again soon!

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“food experience like no other”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Great place to dine at. Welcoming. Interesting. And food is not only delicious but also beautifully presented. Loved that restaurant!

Visited February 2014
“Great food, super service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

It's pretty simple - if you're going to Hobart, do whatever you can to get a booking at Garagistes. Everything about the place was an experience. The food was incredible and prepared to perfection. Very rarely do I go to a restaurant and leave as contently as I did last Saturday. Thanks to all the staff for making our anniversary so special.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Can't believe the mixed reviews. It was brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

The distressed garage look yelled uber-hip so luckily the food also delivered. The five-course degustation menu was the only food available but it delivered at every level. The stand out for me was the smoked eel - and I'm someone who eats Unagi Don every time I go to a Japanese restaurant. The salad was also brilliant with pickled peach and an essence of eggplant. I loved the use of native ingredients throughout, such as pig face and samphire. The crab was a little overpowered by the onion but everything else was wonderful. Service was friendly and helpful, although could have been a little more knowledgeable able the wine (wonderful local Pinor Noir - Meure). Not cheap but value for money.

Visited February 2014
Brisbane
“2nd visit was so disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

First visited in Feb 2011 and wanted to repeat a good experience but, oh dear...! Why have they changed the idea so much? We like to share food so why did they insist that everybody in a party (regardless of number of diners) all have exactly the same food? This means that inevitably somebody gets something they do not want to eat and in my case it was grilled lettuce. I mean - I've never eaten a raw tobacco leaf but can imagine that this is what it might taste like. It was truly disgusting!
They don't take bookings so you turn up and they tell you to wait at their overpriced bar around the corner (we didn't and went next door - really wish we'd eaten there instead) while they give you a tentative time for your table and take your phone number. If this isn't taking a booking, what is? You eat in the dark (should have taken a torch to read the menu and see the food) and sit on uncomfortable bar stools.
Sorry, guys, that's it. Not eating there again. You should have stuck with your original ideas.

• Visited March 2013