“Cheap and convenient” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Welcome Stranger Hotel

You added Welcome Stranger Hotel to your Saves list
Welcome Stranger Hotel
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   58 Harrington Street, Hobart, Tasmania 7000, Australia   |
Ranked #12 of 28 Hobart B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Cheap and convenient”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights recently. It's an old standard pub with some accommodation upstairs. A bit noisy due to the late trading hours but the deliveries at 3:30 am are the most annoying. Woke us both up two mornings in a row. Our pillows were a bit dirty and had mildew on the cases. The manager quite happily found others for us but in the end we decided to buy some at the local Big W. On the positive side: The location is great - you can walk to Salamanca Place in 5 mins or Battery Point in 10. The staff are very friendly and genuinely want to help. Basic accommodation at a budget price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas C, Manager at Welcome Stranger Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Leetripper

Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel.
I am deeply sorry that your stay was not of a higher standard
I am sorry that you felt the need to buy your own pillows, and as a result I have updated our housekeeping procedures to ensure this problem will not happen again.

In regards to the 3.30 am deliveries I am at a loss to know what you are talking about we close the hotel at midnight every night and defiantly do not take delivers during these hours, however if you can provide me with anymore information about this I would be most eager to follow it up.

I am glad you enjoyed our location and the staff were helpful to you.

Regardless it was a pleasure to meet the both of you and to have you stay with us

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Last weekend we stayed at this hotel for 3 days and we were more than happy with our room and the service provided. Staff were friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome.

The breakfast provided was great. It featured the best apples I have ever tasted, oranges, cereals, toast, yoghurt, tea and coffee.
Really good value for money and nice to see some healthy options.

Best location, right across the road from St Davids Park and the Salamanca Market.

Be sure to try their really delicious wood fired pizza, I ordered the chicken tandoori and it was one of the tastiest pizzas I've ever eaten.

We would most definitely stay here again.
Thanks to all the lovely staff at Welcome Stranger.

Celeste & Stephen

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 5 and found it lovely and quiet as it is at the back of the hotel (away from stree...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas C, Manager at Welcome Stranger Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Celeste & Stephen

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us,
I am glad to hear that your stay was enjoyable.
We all hope you are able to stay again soon

Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Great little hotel for people on a budget.
The personell is friendly and helpfull, the rooms are absolutely okay, very clean and charming.
Breakfast is included, which is basically toast and cereal, tea, coffee and orange juice - absolutely fine for the price.
Free wifi is also inculded (in the bar area and for laptops even in the rooms, the signal is not good enough for phones though).
They offer a 10 dollar dinner every night.
The location is absolutely perfect.

Really a good choice if you don't want to spend too much money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas C, Manager at Welcome Stranger Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Hi Nemaja

Thankyou for your excellent review, myself and staff are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay
We all hope that you are able to come and stay again soon

Stanley, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

$100 A night for my daughter and I..FREE wifi..and basic continental breakfast includimg fruit & yogurt..I enjoyed a $10 fish and chips for tea..it was filling and.well cooked..dining area clean fresh. .staff FRIENDLY and informative..room basic and tidy..bathroom shared a little tired but very spacious! St Davids Park just over the road and salamanca a stones throw away..off street parking..minimal noise from.street and little from bar below..all in all I won't hesitate to book there again!

• Stayed March 2014
Thomas C, Manager at Welcome Stranger Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Hi

Thanks for your great review, myself & staff are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
We all look forward to having you stay with us again

Devonport, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Five of us chose to stay in a family room with bathroom ensuite here. Not expecting much we were pleasantly surprised with a very comfortable, spacious, airy and clean room. Despite being a Saturday night it was not noisy or particularly crowded. All staff we met were friendly and welcoming, from the cleaners to breakfast staff and in between. Price was very reasonable, extra pillows and blankets in room. Wide corridors, coffee/tea supplies. Provided breakfast was just what we needed, some fruit, coffee, juice, toast,... Car parking at rear was also much appreciated. Oh, and the location very close to heart of CBD was excellent. Minutes from Salamanca and most shops. Ten points from us!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thomas C, Manager at Welcome Stranger Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear Walter

Thankyou for your kind comments Myself and all staff are glad that your stay was enjoyable and that everything was to your liking

Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Great location, it only takes a few minutes to walk to Salamanca market - be sure you visit Hobart on a Saturday! Staff is friendly and helpful and there's free wi-fi in the bar downstairs. The bar is also a restaurant; just don't eat pizza there.
My room, number 8, was nice but had a drawback: the window glass in the bathroom was smaller than the frame, like if a piece had been cut off, so it was a bit cold in the morning. In my opinion it was broken. I asked someone at the reception and he said it was meant to be like that, in order to get some air into the bathroom (although you could actually open the window without any problem), but the next day I had someone else from the staff to check and they agreed with me that it shouldn't be like this, and that they would send someone to repair it. Anyway the whole staff was very friendly. Also, if you're travelling to meet other people, this hotel offers a good ambiance. Great for backpackers I would say.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Christina

Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.
However I ask if you could send me a short e-mail explaining what was wrong with your pizza, so I can get to the bottom of the problem welcomestranger@onestream.com.au ATT: Tom

Regards
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I read a few reviews on here before deciding to go: it was pretty much as expected. Rates vary by the hour as my partner and I both checked availability on our phones within half an hour and she found the same room in the same hotel for $89 instead of $120. So it pays to book late and risk it being fully booked. For $89 we got a dingy room with a double and a spare single with bathroom. Everything just passed but if one had shared our room with one more person it would be less then 30 dollars per person and it definitely beats a back packers hostel. Rate included two pieces of toast and cup of tea in the morning.

Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not of a higher standard, I have taken your comments on board and plan to rectify what I can as soon as possible

Manager

Been to Welcome Stranger Hotel? Share your experiences!