“Fabulous accommodation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Hobart
Tassie
“Fabulous accommodation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We would highly recommend Hobart Gables. Everything in the apartment was perfect. The apartment had a full laundry and kitchen and it was very spacious and clean. We have stayed at a number of different places around Hobart and the Gables is certainly one of the best. The children were most impressed with the games cupboard!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

As part of my first leg in Hobart, the 'Gables' was a fantastic launching point from which to explore Northern Hobart and the CBD / historic docks.
Grace & Jo-Anne, the owners, were very gracious and welcoming - but importantly, not intrusive.
The upstairs apartment had a great view of Mt. Wellington from most of the rooms and the balcony, and it was clean, spacious and modern; everything you could possibly ask for. The large kitchen had a coffee machine too, which was handy.
I stayed alone, but there was more than enough room for a few more people - and the master bedroom was exquisite.
Highly recommend this stay!

• Stayed September 2013
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Highly recommended. Fantastic location close to the city and other attractions. Friendly service and attention to detail helped make our stay even more comfortable. Quality appliances and furnishings were a bonus. Clean, spacious and nicely housed a family with 2 kids.

• Stayed September 2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed at the’ Hobart Gables’ from the 4th - 7th July 2013 from Sydney; a better choice for accommodation I could not have made.

Hobart was freezing on the day I arrived but very kindly the owners had turned on the main heater in my apartment so I walked in to a beautiful and warm residence. This was to be the start of a wonderful 4 days in Hobart.

My apartment was amazing! It was apparently built in the 40’s and it is everything I would want in my own home, let alone holiday accommodation! Beautiful lead-light windows, large spacious rooms, a large bathroom (with separate shower) and a full-sized bath that I could have stayed in all night, plus, it was sooo quiet. No police sirens and aircraft noise that I usually hear in Sydney. From most rooms of my apartment I had a great view of Mount Wellington – which was covered in snow for the duration of my stay, in fact, I could see it from the comfort of my warm bed.

My stay was such a home-away-from-home I would have been happy to have stayed for months! The apartment was fitted out with all the ‘mod-cons’ – Russell Hobbs kitchen toys and an espresso coffee machine, plus, it was really well kitted out with kitchenware, cutlery, glassware etc. Everything I needed and more was supplied.

The new owners Jo-Anne and Gracie were very accommodating and made me feel very welcome. They are the most perfect of hosts and nothing was too much trouble. They have great local knowledge and were more than happy to point me in the direction of things to see and do. The famous North Hobart café and restaurant scene was only a stone’s throw away and an easy walk.

I cannot recommend the ‘Hobart Gables’ strongly enough and I have already made my second booking for October this year.

Room Tip: My apartment had the BEST bed I have EVER slept in. For the first time in recent years I didn't...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Hobart Gables was a great place for my family and I to stay. There was plenty of room or all five of us with a big kitchen and full laundry facilities in the apartment. It was such a warm, relaxing and comfortable place to stay with exceptional customer service. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

First up, I'll say that we had a great trip to Tasmania and I highly recommend a visit there. There is so much to see and do, either solo, as a couple, or in our case as a family with a 4yo and a 7yo. Plus. the state could do with the tourism dollars - please support them!

However... don't stay here. It looked great on Tripadvisor, and we booked through Wotif. In short;

a.) There was some confusion when we arrived - we had to bother "the caretaker" to get access, and then he had to call the owner to get the security pass for the door. Apparently we were supposed to be SMS'd, which we were not.
b.) There are 2 "houses" on the property, one directly above the other. You can hear a lot between the floor/ceiling if you're staying downstairs (people walking around, voices, etc.). It definitely feels like you don't have privacy / your own space.
c.) When the caretaker disappeared on our final night there, the small dog on the property was left outside overnight. It barked from 7pm through to 9:30pm on and off. Our kids couldn't get to sleep first by the noise of the barking and then by being worried that the dog was unhappy / in trouble. I called the main contact number twice to see if we could do anything, but it went straight to voicemail both times, and even though I asked for a return call, it wasn't returned or followed up.

We didn't see the owner for the entire 5 days we were there. In an industry where word of mouth, referral and reputation makes or breaks your business, this definitely left a bad impression with us and was really bizarre. It wouldn't have taken much to address the first and last points above - that's just simple customer service. The noise between units/apartments and the dog I'm not sure you can do anything about :(

It's a shame, as Hobart is such a great place from what we saw.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
hobartgables, Owner at Hobart Gables, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Hello Andy,

We’re very pleased you had a great stay in Tasmania back in February this year, we’re not so pleased that your time at the Hobart Gables was ‘the only bad thing about your Tassie trip’.

We’d like to address each of the points you’ve made, but before we do, we’d like you to know that we took over as new owners of the Hobart Gables in March this year, a few weeks after your stay. We’ve spent a great deal of time preparing the property to a standard with which guests feel comfortable, is spacious, private & provides all appropriate amenities comparable to this type of accommodation.

You may ask – ‘why has it taken you so long to respond’? – well, we’ve been faced with a number of access issues for various online accommodation sites & some of that is still ongoing. Yes, perhaps we ought to have known about all that from the start, but, like any new business owners, we’re learning daily.

Now to your comments:
a) What we do prior to guests arriving (usually around 1pm on the day of arrival) is send them an SMS with a personalized code for entry into the apartments. We greet all guests & depending on their needs will often walk them through the amenities of the apartments. We provide them with contact details for us, where & how to find us etc, should the need arise, for whatever reason. Yes, likely that the previous owners brought in a caretaker for your stay, who was perhaps not left with a full set of instructions. It does admittedly sound rather poorly organised & left you with a sour first impression. Understandably.

b) The apartments are identical & are situated one directly above the other. Yes, admittedly you can expect to hear some noise between apartments. Since March we’ve had families as guests & their feedback states that they felt very private & free in their own space.

c) Yes the previous owners had a small dog, which, to the best of our knowledge, was in fact an outside dog. It most certainly can be distressing for children to hear that during the night, especially as they are trying to get to sleep. The neighbourhood (New Town) & our surrounding neighbours all seem to have dogs, whilst we can’t control what our neighbours dogs do, we can control our two Maltese (Bessie & Teddy). They are small inside dogs, they sleep inside & we are very mindful of them, their whereabouts & their ‘noise’, when we have guests in the apartments.

We agree this industry is definitely based on word of mouth, referral & reputation. We were saddened & somewhat frustrated to read your review, as in reality, the points you make would not / do not take much at all to address – its basic customer service.

We’re not sure whether you’ll be back in Hobart at any stage soon, & whether you’d even remotely consider this given the experience you had in February, but if you do return to Hobart, we’d love to host you & your family, with what we know will definitely be a much improved experience.

If you get a chance, feel free to check out our website www.hobartgables.com.au where you’ll see some of our other guest reviews (since March 2013).

Regards

Grace & Jo-Anne
Hobart Gables
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed at Hobart Gables for 3 nights, with 4 other friends. The location, the house, the attention to detail and the owners Evan & Juanita are all AMAZING.
The customer service was excellent, we requested an additional fold out bed to accommodate the 5 of us and this was co-ordinated for just $20 a night.
The house is spaceous, clean, beautifully decorated and cosy - you feel like you're at home.
The house itself was so wonderful we chose to stay in with takeaway and a movie (DVD's provided by Hobart Gables) instead of go out one night!
Would book again for our next trip for certain.
Thank you Evan & Juanita, we had an amazing weekend at Hobart Gables!

Room Tip: We stated in Apartment 1
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hobart Gables? Share your experiences!