“Appalling........!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Quarry Salamanca

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hobart
Quarry Salamanca
You added Quarry Salamanca to your Saves list
27 Salamanca Place, Hobart, Tasmania 7000, Australia   |
Ranked #30 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Hobart
“Appalling........!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

On arrival we were told that our room had been overbooked and that we were being "bumped" to another establishment. I had booked the room for 5 nights, in person many weeks earlier and, at that time, there was only one other room booked. We requested to see the Manager and were told that he was uncontactable until after 5pm when he would be covering the evening shift. We left our number for him to call us and went in search of the alternate accommodation.
After 5pm we returned having received no phone call. We waited some time for the manager to front up and when he eventually did he gave us a completely different story to the earlier duty manager. He told us that the room had been trashed and was therefore unavailable.
His apology appeared empty and insincere. We left with the promise that he would ring us to let us know if the room would be available for any of the 5 nights that we had booked. Needless to say we never heard from him for the duration of our stay. Overall we were treated appallingly. The manager would do well to undertake a crash course in customer service.
After reading the other reviews it would appear that we didn't miss out on much any way. I definitely will not be recommending this hotel to anyone.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

I actually thought this hotel was quite good. Very nice modern decor, VERY CONVENIENT location just in the hustle and bustle of it all with the Salamanca Markets, shops, restaurants and cafes at your door step. Walking distance to pretty much everything. We only stayed for the weekend so we didn't have much luggage to lug up the stairs. But yes, there is no elevators and about 2-3 flights of stairs depending on what floor you're staying on, so if you have heavy luggage, it can be a problem. The noise wasn't too bad . We did hear the occasional party noise from outside but it wasn't too bad to make a complaint about it. My only problem would be that the walls are a little too thin for my liking. If you have noisy neighbours, you'd be able to hear. Other than that - overall i would highly recommend this hotel for people travelling light and for short stays as it's quite convenient indeed and i was very impressed with the decor.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Tauranga.New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

Having just read the reviews from other dissatisfied customers I thought I would also add my gripes.
Booking these apartments online is fairly easy but having no actual website of their own is a bit strange. I thought from the pictures that it would be o.k, loved the position it seemed to be in and so just went for it. I booked the MARKET apartment as it said it overlooked the harbour. Not so! O.K. the trees were in full leaf but I do think that is really stretching it to say they have harbour views. Still, that was the least of our worries.
We had flown from NZ to Melb. then straight on to Hobart so were feeling a bit jaded by the time we got there.
The young woman in the restaurant who checked us in was very pleasant, she said she would take us to the apartments next door and did offer to take one of the suitcases which my husband declined as we stupidly thought there would be a lift.
The stairs are very steep and badly lit and just seem to go on and on.
Our apartment was lovely, the bed so comfortable with lovely white linen. The kitchen looked fine with a full sized oven and cooktop, washing machine and dryer. As we were staying for three nights we thought we could have a couple of meals in as there was a terrific supermarket just down the road.
Just as well I checked the cooking utensils. We had one medium saucepan. To eat off we had 2 large dinner plates, 4 entree plates, 2 cups and saucers. No cereal bowls, no frying pan. The cupboards were full of wine glasses, beer glasses and tumblers. No bin in the kitchen.
I went down to the restaurant and asked to see the manager. silly me, of course he was not there and would not be for two days, in fact we never did see him at all. I spoke to two very disinterested staff and requested the cereal bowls and a pan but they just looked at me blankly.
We ended up eating out the whole time apart from breakfast and ate our fruit salad off dinner plates.
We actually came home on the third night to find bowls, extra plates and a pan on the floor outside our room.
I also requested some light bulbs for the lamps over the bed and the bathroom as we just could not see. (For a woman trying to put makeup on is hopeless.) Again blank looks.
These apartments are not cheap and they need to do better than this.
Why is there no manager onsite or even someone in the restaurant to look after their customers?
The noise in the morning was just awful, we had to make sure we went to bed early to get enough sleep. Our windows did open so that was not a problem.
I would never recommend this place to anyone and it is a shame because the position is really good. We did not hire a car until we left as it was easy to walk everywhere.
Would love to go back to Hobart but would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
London/Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

This hotel is up there in the top 5 of the worst hotels I’ve stayed at. The worst thing about it was the noise. Until 2am we had loud people outside coming and going from the nearby pub and restaurant underneath (this was Tues/Wed, hardly the weekend) and were then woken at 5-6am by street sweepers and a council worker with a noisy leaf blower as well as someone scraping and banging chairs and tables as they set up the sidewalk café. There is a warning on Wotif about noise but we certainly didn’t expect it to be so bad that we only got 3-4 hours’ sleep a night. Hasn’t management heard of double-glazing?
Other negatives were: there is no air-conditioning and the windows are painted shut, there is no DVD player, the mood lighting is so low it’s impossible to do your make-up and my husband tripped down stairs as he couldn’t see them, there’s a glass wall between the bathroom and the rest of the room so anyone in the room has a great view of you taking a shower or going to the toilet (classy!), the clothes dryer doesn’t work (I had it on for three hours and our clothes were still wet), there is no bin in the room to put your rubbish in, and staff were either nowhere to be found or very unhelpful.
I definitely wouldn’t recommend this hotel to anyone. It might be 4-star in management’s eyes but certainly doesn’t make the cut when compared to others in that category in other Australian capitals.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
ACT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

My husband and I recently spent two nights at the Quarry Apartments - excellent location but arrived on a Saturday afternoon with our rental car which we had to park a long way from the apartments then walk with our bags due to the Salamanca Markets being in full swing right outside. We are not complaining about the markets, we love them, but maybe we could have been advised of the parking difficulty and we would have taken a taxi from the airport. There is no dedicated reception desk, you just wait your turn in the cafe to find someone interested enough to check you in and hand over the key. You then walk the 38 stairs to your apartment with your heavy cases- no lift and no assistance - originally had planned for our 85 year old mother to accompany us and it would have been impossible for her to access the apartment. I think this is an important point that should be advised at the time of booking.
The apartment is great, excellent bed and bedding, good sofa, good facilities and very clean and modern. Maybe they have taken the mood low lighting too far with it being impossible to read at night even with the bedside lights due to low beams. Also impossible to put on makeup with any degree of acclaim due to the very poor lighting in the bathroom as well. In our apartment we tried to open the windows to let in some badly needed fresh air without success, they had been painted shut which was a bit of a worry if a fire broke out as there was a fire ladder directly outside the window but with the windows being unopenable, this was deemed useless. We asked the maid for a fan to allow some air to circulate - there is no aircon. For the elderly there would be an additional problem of an enormous bath/shower which would be beyond the most agile of the aged to climb in and out of. The other things of minor concern were that there was no compendium in the room, no phone so no indication as to how to contact the manager if the restaurant downstairs was closed; no rubbish bin in the kitchen area; the noise from downstairs bars and the carpark for motel up the street is very noisy until the small hours. However on the positive - it is a great location, but for my money I'd be staying at the Henry Jones Art Hotel where we spent a fabulous couple of nights at the same rate in a stunning room with all the conveniences laid on.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
sunshine coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

If you want sleep never stay here on a Friday or Saturday night.
The restaurant turns into a night club after dark there is a hotel next door another across from the park. This is obviously the night life scene for Hobart.
Good if you want to party all night.
We did not get to bed until 4 am both nights due to the noise.
The only good thing about this hotel was the bed it was very comfortable.
Smoke wafted in through the rafters from the next room as they could not sleep either. We could also hear everthing they were saying and they turned the tv up to get over the drunken revellers.
It was such a dissappointment we only had 4 nights in Hobart.
We tried to speak to the manager and he was always on the phone or just about to call us. We still have not heard from him.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The noise and lack of sleep
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Quarry Salamanca? Share your experiences!