“Convenient Motel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tower Motel

Save Saved
You added Tower Motel to your Saves list
Tower Motel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   300 Park Street, New Town, Hobart, Tasmania 7008, Australia   |
Ranked #42 of 47 hotels in Hobart
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“Convenient Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at the Tower Motel during a week in Hobart.

Great location between the airport and city. Easy to find and just off the main road.

The motel is getting a little old but is good value for money and attracts a broad range of guests, from families, couples, young and older.

Some rooms are upstairs so if you don't want the climb remover to ask.

There are no cooking facilities (other than a kettle) but you can borrow a toaster. You'll need your own knife, fork and spoon if you want to do any self catering.

Beds are a little old and you can feel the springs, and the doubles beds are short so at 6 foot your feet will hang off the edge.

The TV works.
There is also a fridge.

The shower is tiny so if you drop your soap you will have to get out for a sec to pick it up.

So, it's basic.....

But clean, convenient and pleasant enough with some nice people working there.

We probably would stay somewhere else next time though, not because its a bad place but because we saw plenty of alternatives.

• Stayed January 2013

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Shabby, dirty nothing like we were had seen on wotif and booking.com. We rang and asked about parking and were told parking was right outside our room. We had kayaks we were worried about about them so were pleased when they told us parking was at our door. But no we were inside the main building second floor right next to the water pipes that switched on every few seconds making it impossible to sleep.pParking was nowhere near our room. Breakfast was supposed to be included but that was an extra 15pp even for kids. Down right disgusting, poor value for money. Would never stay here again!!!! Ruined the last day of our holiday.

• Stayed January 2013
Tasmania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I booked a twin room several months in advance for a friend and her son who were visiting me. Initially I spoke to a gentleman on the phone to enquire about the availability and rate. The second call was to book it (with the gentleman again) - again reminding them it was a twin room for one night for a woman and her son and the third time I rang them (spoke to a woman) was to pay. I was assured at every call it was a twin room. When my friend contacted me and told me that her son was no longer coming down and that she was bringing a female friend, I was confident that the twin room I had booked would be suitable. Imagine my surprise when my friend calls me in tears, saying she was at the Motel and they only had a double bed for her and her friend to share. I spoke to the woman working on reception who said there was no notation on the booking that a twin was required and she had offered my friend a thin foam mattress so that one of them could sleep on the floor, but that my friend was not happy with that. She said they were fully booked and as my friend was "only booked for one night" they would have to cope with it. I was disgusted and angry but unable to do much over the phone. Ten minutes later my friend called me to say that another couple who had overheard the argument in reception had offered to swap rooms and there was only two of them and they had a double and single bed in their room. The attitude of the woman in reception was terrible. When I had called the third time to pay for the booking I had been told, "this is for a twin room in the name of ___ ______" and I agreed. The room they eventually got was terrible - lord knows how they had crammed the single bed in there as well as a double anyway. It was dark and tiny and did not appear to be particularly clean. Awful to think that this level of accommodation is what many of the visitors to our city experience. 1/2 STAR for the pokey rooms out the back.

Room Tip: what I would class as Travelling Salesman accommodation - not fit for anyone wanting more than a roo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Good location (if you have a car), clean and comfortable with good facilities, and well priced. Rooms are quite well soundproofed with little road noise entering.

A retro-style motel but quite nice. If you're looking for a 5-star luxury hotel, don't book here, but if you're happy with a well-run, homely establishment which has all the basic requirements, then it's fine. And the staff were really good.

But then I didn't arrive in a busload of 40-odd people (glad I wasn't behind them either).

I'd stay here again if the price is right. It certainly was for this trip.

Room Tip: Pay as little as you can. All rooms are fine.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Nilma North, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I arrived at this establishment with a busload of 46 people, we were booked for a two night stay, that included Dinner both nights and breakfast. As soon as the rooms were allocated by management, all hell broke loose, the room that I was sharing with another female was filthy, I can appreciate old and dilapidated, NOT FILTHY. Other members of the group complained of hair on the pillows, the bed linen on her bed was all stained. I complained to the manager and showed him my allocated room, he said he was not responsible and I should speak to the owner.
The owner lived in Queensland. I said to him if this was the standard of our rooms, what were we to expect from the kitchen. Please tell me if this is what you can see what about what you can't see, and to add insult to injury you are expected to pay good money. I will endeavour to have this establishment inspected by the Health Inspector. Disgusting.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Nowra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Old & tired is the only way to describe this hotel. The bathroom ceiling & walls had mould spots all over, obviously caused by the poor ventilation. The carpark was so packed that some people couldn't get a spot. However the staff were friendly. The hotel is within walking distance of the city centre & restaurant strip if you are energetic. Would probably look for something a little better next time but it probably wasn't too bad for the location & price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Corsham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had the misfortune of paying for this establishment in advance so we were stuck here for two unpleasant nights. It was dirty, smelly and uncomfortable and our complaints were either ignored or fobbed off.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tower Motel? Share your experiences!