“Trip of a lifetime with 'Franklin River Rafting'” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Activities: White-water rafting
Kaniva, Victoria, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Trip of a lifetime with 'Franklin River Rafting'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Have just spent an amazing ten days with Elias and Franzi, owner-operators of Franklin River Rafting. Franzi and Elias have guided rafting trips down the Franklin for more than 14 years between them, and they have a passion for this river that is evident in all they do. Last year they started up their own business, drawing on their extensive previous experiences to provide the best tour possible - and I believe they have succeeded! Their professionalism, attention to detail and safety considerations were second to none. All equipment was of the highest quality (excellent dry bags, New Zealand made rafts etc) and the food provided along the way was amazing! It is almost impossible to imagine how they provided such a gourmet selection (eg eye fillet with mushroom sauce & vegies, curry, pizza, cheesecake, tiramisu) when all rations used had to be packed and stowed aboard rafts for the ten days of travel.
Most days saw us on the river by 9, and into camp by 4 at the latest, giving us plenty of time to set up camp and then relax with a book, swim or chat (or all three) before enjoying pre-dinner nibbles and drinks.
The river itself is absolutely beautiful. Calm and peaceful one minute, then an angry torrent the next. Scenery was superb, and the pristine surrounds made you feel lucky to be alive!
A day hike up Frenchmans Cap was another highlight with stunning scenery around every bend, and an awesome 360 degree view from the top. A reasonable level of fitness and a positive mental attitude will get you to the top, however if planning on doing this trip, a little pre-training may go a long way! A camel back (drinker) and a small day pack for extra clothes (chilly up top) are also handy.
A big thank you once to again to Elias and Franzi of Franklin River Rafting for their hospitality and care. This has been one of the best experiences of my life and I cannot recommend this trip and this company highly enough. Cheers guys, will be back once my kids turn 18!

Visited February 2013

Melbourne, Australia
“The Franklin with Franklin River Rafting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I just completed the 10 Day Expedition with Elias and Franzi ( our Guides and Hosts) from Franklin River Rafting. Wow what an excellent experience. The Franklin was at it's best with it's modest flows testing our team work with challenging rapids and portages. Elias and Franzi took it all in their stride with great organisation and a professional common-sense approach to Navigating our way down the picturesque beauty that is the Franklin River. We lucked out with 10 days of sunshine which is not so common in such a wild rainforest setting.
The gear was Top notch and the food was plentiful,fresh and amazing. We all loved the excitement each meal to see what delights where created for us!
The climb to French Mans Cap was a great challenge and we were rewarded with the most amazing scenery and views. Simply spectacular! A sense of accomplishment was felt by all and especially the following day!
The small group size,attention to detail,organised,professional,informative,welcoming,hospitable and extremely friendly Hosts made this trip exceptional. A life changing experience in a truly amazing place.
If you want a personalised experience you can't go past Franklin River rafting with Elias and Franzi!
A special thanks to Franzi for guiding me down the Franklin with great skill and many laughs!
It was great to see the wedge tailed eagles flying overhead as we saw a number of Platypus and a few even saw the elusive Tassie Devil which was a delight.
A special thanks to Trevor from the Stormbreaker who carried us back home on the last day down the Gorden River!
Thanks Elias and Franzi
Defiantly coming back!

Visited February 2013
Devonport, Australia
“The Franklin with Water by Nature”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I joined 9 other clients for an adventure expedition rafting down the Franklin. A true wild river in the beautiful and remote Tasmanian wilderness. We did the 7 day full river trip with medium water flows in mid Jan 2013 with fantastic weather. The keen members climbed Frenchman’s Cap with 360 degree awesome views. The rafting equipment was excellent and very robust. I also had great fun in the inflatable kayak on selected rapids. Our guides Brett and Robbie were very professional with unbelievable knowledge and experience of the river. Some of the white water was big, very big, and,while it is impossible to eliminate risk, I felt as safe as nature would allow with this tour company and would recommend them highly. Great fresh wholesome food was a real bonus. 4 courses most nights, for example brie, scallops, eye fillet and tiramisu.
I tested out a Sony Action Cam for the first time on the trip. It was very good and very waterproof with fantastic HD memories. My advice would be to test it out first to get the angle right because I have far too much footage of trees and sky. It is optional to bring your own tent. I will very seriously consider this next time. I had wanted to do this trip for 30 years and it lived up to all my expectations.

Visited January 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Lifetime Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I did the 10 day version of the full river trip which Roger A did, leaving Hobart at the same time as Roger with Water by Nature (Brett Fernon). Our guides, Morgen and Alayne, couldn't have been more professional, friendly, judicious and helpful. Difficult portages were managed with skill and care. Both guides had a excellent knowledge of the river and provided an interesting and informative commentary along the way. They cooked wonderful and plentiful meals every day. The rafts and all the equipment provided were in excellent condition. The yacht cruise down the Gordon River and Macquarie Harbour on the final day was the perfect way to end the trip. I'd definitely do it again and most certainly with Brett's company.

Visited December 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“True wilderness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

A great trip to get away from the rat race, the heat and Xmas. A beautiful isolated location with all the benefits of fully catered and well managed camping without the hiking. Rafting was the perfect mix of exciting rapids and peaceful drifting through placid stretches where wildlife abounds -platypus, wedgetail and sea eagles, black swans and loads of cormorants. Franklin River Rafting were the perfect hosts with passionate guides who put my safety and comfort first, and would both lend you the shirt off their back (thanks Elias) and prepare a special birthday cake (thanks Franzi). I couldn't think of a better way to spend Xmas, New Years and my birthday. Worth every penny.

Visited December 2012