“great in lots of ways but food and service of cabins lets it down .” 4 of 5 stars
Review of White Sands Resort

Save Saved
You added White Sands Resort to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
White Sands Resort
21554 Tasman Highway | Iron House Point, Four Mile Creek, Tasmania 7215, Australia   |
Ranked #201 of 392 Specialty lodging in Tasmania
Launceston, Australia
“great in lots of ways but food and service of cabins lets it down .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We spent 4 nights there recently and mostly it was fabulous . As others have mentioned there is a great view , clean etc but it lets in self down in some big ways .
the food - the restaurant is nice looking and service is really good But the food seems to have been prepared some time ago and reheated. It didn't seem fresh at all .
the other thing was the breakfast provisions were very generous but they were delivered the night before and were for the next 2 mornings . This meant that the bread was then 3 days old and not very nice at all .
also there was no changing of towels and after 4 days I wanted clean ones.

However on a positive note - great staff- really friendly manager - a guys from Brazil and his family also the reception staff - Claire etc were great. If they can fix these few things it will be sensational . cheers

Room Tip: get one with a view - there are lots .
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Mercer Island, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

The locale was just too far from Bicheno, where we went on the ATV's. I was going to book two nights there so that we could go back from that tour to the White Sands. I'm glad I didn't because it was just too far to our next stop, Hobart. It is a rustic "resort" with wooden cabins, a surfing/swimming beach, movies, etc. It reminded me of the ski lodges in Vermont I went to with my family when I was a kid. It is busy on the weekends and in the Australian summer. We were there on a Sunday night. The dining room was empty when we were there, but the staff was wonderful. (We only met one woman.) The cabins are decent sizes but old. The walk from the restaurant to the cabin was too dark.

Room Tip: You'd get a good price during the week.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Mauricio P, General Manager at White Sands Resort, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
We were disappointed to read your comments regarding location of our business and the appearance of the room being “rustic”. Situated halfway between St Helens and Bicheno, we are ideally located for you to enjoy all the east coast has to offer including Freycinet National Park, the Bay of Fires and nearby wineries. However it is a place to stay and relax. In regards the rooms we have different categories - Deluxe, Modern and Standard with different levels of decoration. For instance the deluxe units are refurbished and have a large deck to enjoy the surrounding natural beauty. I would have liked the opportunity to show you the range of villas available.

Thanks for your positive comment about the dining experience and the friendliness of our staff.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know of your experience. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back.

Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Well, I am talking about the restaurant, not the accommodation.
I booked a Valentine day lunch for me and my wife.
The location is lovely, the resort looks fantastic, although deserted in Feb!
I have been there a number of times, as a resident in Bicheno, 20 mins drive south.
Lovely looking swimming pool but NEVER seen anyone in it.
The grounds are lovely, the view great, the building for the Iron House brewery and restaurant wonderful.
The large restaurant/bar area is first class (apart from the build, it is like in a swimming pool, the noise echoes far too much.
We sat outside in warm weather and the staff were very good, putting up an umbrella for us on the table etc.
We ordered a seafood platter for two, which at $68 was not too bad considering we both got a wine or beer included.
The service was as you would expect and the food came quickly.
However, the seafood platter, which by quantity was excellent, was deep fat fried in far too much breadcrumbs.
I picked off around half of the breadcrumb's in the calamari, prawns, fish and shell fish, and it was over cooked.
If you ate it as served you would not taste the seafood, just the breadcrumb batter.
Death by bread crumb!
Why cant they serve it 'naked' or at least with far less covering! Would be far tastier!
Anyhow, when left no staff asked if we liked it etc. That is the reason I am doing this because I want them to know that they could make this so much better with a little thought.
More 'naked' seafood, not as over cooked. Maybe a lemon press (I got so many lemon pips in my food it was a negative experience).
Am I being over critical? You can judge!
What a potential in this resort though.

Room Tip: Ask for less breadcrumbs on deep fat fried sea food and maybe for it to be fired non deep fat fried!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mauricio P, General Manager at White Sands Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to send us the review.

My apologies that we did not asked about your meal. Asking guests for feedback is part of WSE guidance to the staff. We need to know if our customer is satisfied and we need to address any feedback.

With regards the your comment about the fisherman’s platter I will pass on your comments to our Head Chef, Susantha, to follow up and address.

As a local customer and frequent guest we would glad to see you again and it will be a pleasure to assist you in person. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

White Sands Estate
Binalong Bay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We booked two weeks prior when we turned up got a free upgrade so was very excited bout that. Among arrival the villas were lovely, neat and tidy loved the big opening doors out onto the huge decking with a view to die for. Even though weather was cloudy managed to do all the activities with the kids, the pool was beautiful and warm. Had tea in the restaurant had the seafood platter for two was yummy, staff were excellent and very nice will be coming back for sure....

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Mauricio P, General Manager at White Sands Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Lauren,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to post this review. We value your opinion and feedback is important to us.

I am glad that you liked stay with us I will share your comments with the White Sands team and ensure this feedback will serve as an encouragement to continue to deliver a high quality of our service.

We very much look forward to seeing you soon.

Devonport, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Very poor, no drinking water, 1 washing machine for the entire place, no ensuites, coin operated bbqs, substandard for price we paid, booked a long time ago for our family, from qld, very, very poor, would not recommend but staff member I spoke too very polite. said management would get back to us, mmmmmmmm plus no screens on lovely stacker doors, very average.

• Stayed December 2013
Mauricio P, General Manager at White Sands Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Guest

Please accept our apologies we did not meet your expectations and this did not allow you to enjoy your stay with us.

We were disappointed to read your comments regarding structure of our premises. We strive to offer all our guests an enjoyable, pleasant experience, but it appears on this occasion we have failed.

I will share your comments with the staff and take action about each point that you noted.

If you would like to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know of your experience.

Tasmania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I visited this resort with family from Queensland and we were very happy with this lovely resort. It was close to the beach, quiet and private and the units were clean, comfortable and very cosy.We would definitely recommend this resort. The staff were very helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mauricio P, General Manager at White Sands Resort, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your positive feedback for recommending it to others. I will share your comments with our team and ensure this feedback will serve as an encouragement to continue to deliver a high quality of our service.

We hope to see you again when you next visit from Queensland!

Warm Regards

Wollongong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Arrived in a group, staff got us through the check in process quickly and without fuss. Cabins were superb, although i think a water cooler with drinking water in each cabin is something they should include.

Restaurant and bar was great and our group had a fantastic time. Pity it was winter and we couldn't make use of the beautiful swimming pool.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor, I was thrilled to read you had an excellent stay with us.

With regards the drinking water the White Sands Estate is serviced by water from a 15 acre reservoir located at the top of the property. This lake is a natural catchment area and is replenished by water run-off from the mountain opposite. The water is tested on a regular basis and is deemed drinkable and it is advisable that you boil the water before consuming.
We supply one complimentary bottle which is located in your fridge. Some guests have a strong preference for bottled water so we offer a supply of IronHouse Spring Water which is available from Providore and Brewhaus Café and Bar.

We would love to see you again so please come back and enjoy our swimming pool over the summer months!

Hotel Manager

Been to White Sands Resort? Share your experiences!