“Amazing stay” 5 of 5 stars

22 Lades Road | Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, South Australia 5223, Australia   |
NYC
“Amazing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was there in Sept 2011-- A beautiful property and the hosts made us feel so special. Lyn cooked amazing breakfasts every morning, and it was always so wonderful to have her dinners (worth every penny!). Gram took us on an evening drive on his property and it was so much fun seeing all the animals. What a special place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Felixstowe Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Our visit to Kangaroo Island was at the end of our wonderful five week holiday in Australia and we loved it! Our stay at the Stranraer Homestead was a joy. Set on a small hill next to the Magillivery Cricket Ground (the other MCG) In a lovely and peaceful setting. We were welcomed into this beautiful house by Lyn and Graham. Lyn’s cooking must be by now world famous and is absolutely wonderful. We were treated to some good food during our holiday but this was the best! We also had a very comfortable and superbly decorated on suit room and very much enjoyed the guest lounge which was also well appointed and comfortable!

Room Tip: All rooms are superb!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I rarely leave a place wishing to stay just a few more days, but Lyn and Gram genuinely make you feel like friends. If you're reading this, honestly believe what we say! I stayed at Stranraer for 3 days and was welcomed like family. I haven't seen such genuine hospitality in a while and I've stayed at so many B&Bs in Europe,Uk and the West Indies. From the accomodation to the food, everything was glorious. (Please DO NOT miss her dinners!!) Every day Lyn made sure I was seeing the best of KI, particularly since I was on my own. They took such good care of me! I have told all my Aussie friends and I cannot wait to go back. Give Rosie a cuddle for me when you go!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Stranraer for two nights during our honeymoon in October 2012. We really didn't know what to expect on the way in, but this turned out to be the highlight of our two-week trip to Australia.

Stranraer was possibly the most tranquil place I've ever been. The house is set up on a hill and is surrounded by gardens and a cricket field. There is a terrace that wraps all the way around, offering great views of the whole property. The house itself is impeccable -- the decor is tasteful but not fussy, and they always have soft music playing.

Lyn and Graham were extraordinary hosts. They were extremely welcoming and happily answered all of our many questions about the island and the farm, but they also respected our privacy. Lyn's cooking was amazing, and it easily rivaled or exceeded the best meals we had in Sydney or Melbourne. Her simple but elegant preparation allowed the remarkably fresh ingredients to shine (think homemade granola and local yogurt for breakfast, and lamb from their own farm for dinner). And Graham took us on a nighttime tour of the farm in his truck, which allowed us to catch a glimpse of the noctural animal life (wallabies, possums, and kangaroos).

Kangaroo Island is such a special and unique place, and Stranraer was the perfect home base from which to explore it. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We certainly very fortunate our travel agent booked the Stranraer Homestead The company was excellent, food out of this world, bedrooms deluxe. Our host took us out in the evening touring his farm showing us kangaroos and wallabies We loved the stories on life at their farm and would say anyone booking a holiday here is definitely in for a treat.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I just returned rom spending three lovely days on Kangaroo Island with Lyn and Graham at their beutiful home.It was an incredible experience that I shall not soon forget. The accomadations, food and warm hospitality were all excellent. I have not eaten so well or felt so relaxed and happy in a long time. I will not forget sitting in the kitchen chatting over a pot of tea and cookies, driving on the quads or in the truck at night looking at wildlife in the sheep paddocks. Kangaroo Island is hauntingly beautiful - and Stranraer Homestead is an experience you should not miss!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have just returned from a six week tour of Australia and I can honestly say that the Stranraer Homstead was the best place I stayed. The food provided by Lyn was the best I had in Australia. On seeing the buffet laid out for breakfast I could not believe that a hot breakfast was to follow. I felt guilty that we could not eat it all. Lyn and Graham are the perfect hosts and I feel privledged that I was welcomed into their home. I stayed only one night but I owuld love to go again and stay a number of night - I would even work for free onthe farm.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Stranraer Homestead? Share your experiences!