“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Kangaroo Island Hire a Guide offers you the best opportunity to choose and customise your own KI itinerary. Since the island is over 155km long, a minimum stay of 2 days would be most appropriate. This way you would be able to pace yourself and take in the sheer beauty of the island and give yourself the time to come across rare animals like an echidna (Tachyglossus Aculeatus) or a Glossy Black Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus Lathami).
Sydney, Australia
11 attraction reviews
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The reason we booked a hop-on guide with Luca and his team was because nothing beats local knowledge AND we were travelling with a 5yo which makes it difficult to join a group of guided travellers (not that we would want to).
The experience proved to be everything we wanted. It was catered to our personal interests and needs. We had all the questions answered, covered the island highlights at our own pace, and were told all about the local know-how that we asked for.
The best way of working with the hop-on guide is to know what you want, you will definitely get it.
I highly recommend Hire-a-Guide, and especially the hop-on experience, which can take you anywhere you want: island fauna, amazing landscapes, food and wine, romantic honeymoon locations and experience.
Highly recommended if you are not into groups, but still want someone to do the prep work for you.

Visited September 2013

Tallahassee, Florida, United States
11 attraction reviews
“The highlight of our visit to KI”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Thank you, Luca, for the wonderful nocturnal tour. After spending the day in Flinder's Chase seeing kangaroos, seals and a koala my husband was questioning why we needed a tour guide for a nocturnal tour. What were we really going to see that we hadn't seen already? Well, you quickly answered that question by showing us hundreds of wallabies and other animals. My daughter can't stop telling people about visiting the penguin preserve. It was so easy to arrange the tour and everything went perfectly. I thank you for making our trip special. I recommended you to a woman from California we met on a tour last week who will be on KI this weekend. Thanks for the great experience.

Visited August 2013
KI_expert, Owner at Kangaroo Island Hire a Guide, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice review,Crystie
We had a very good night and I really like working with kids on tour.
Penguins are my favourite animals and I'm glad you and your family had a great time on tour with us!
Your review also is very important for my moral, I recently had some comments about what we do on our nocturnal tour and they were not very nice ...
It hurt me when people leave those comments without a real reason and you review just make me smiling again !!
I'm very passionate about my job and I'm trying to do my best to show the nocturnal wildlife in its habitat.
Thank you again and have a great day!

Luca
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We arranged a tour with Luca for our family of four (two girls, ages 14 and 9) about a month ago. I had booked the tour about two months in advance via e-mail and had sent him a deposit -- the whole process was very easy.

He arranged our tour to fit our interests -- the girls were primarily interested in seeing wildlife, which they did in spades. He took us to the highlights of the island -- Seal Bay, Hanson Bay koala reserve, Remarkable Rocks, Admiral's Arch, etc. -- as well as a few out of the way places where we saw lots of kangaroos and echidnas. He also had an uncanny ability to avoid the Sealink tour bus!

The tour was significantly less expensive than the private tours of other operators, which had luxuries that my wife and I might have enjoyed but would have been lost on the girls.

Luca is a very nice man with a lot of local knowledge and a great sense of humor. The girls loved him and both described our day on KI as their "best day ever."

Visited March 2013
Melbourne, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“Highly informative nocturnal tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We prebooked the nocturnal tour with Luca via an email exchange about a week before we were due to arrive in Kangaroo Island - it was a very easy process. You either pay a deposit and then pay the remainder in cash or just have him hold a booking on your credit card and then pay the full amount in cash when he picks you up.

We appreciated that he came to pick us up from our accommodation in his 4WD (very useful if you aren't sure how long it will take you to get from one end of the island to the other) and off we went!

We didn't see as many animals as we wanted to, but that's the nature of wildlife viewing - you need a lot of luck - but Luca was a treasure trove of knowledge of the island and of the animals that we saw, as well as the animals we did not see!

All up we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Visited April 2013
Mountain View, CA
“Kangaroo Island Touring”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We arranged the booking completely remotely from a cell phone on a day out in Sydney which added complexity to the process but Luca was able to work with us to pull off the booking and find us a place to stay. Luca had some training he was doing but Lutz gave us a fine two day tour around the island. His mid-afternoon stop where he broke out a French Press and made us coffee augmented by Tim Tams was a welcome touche. We saw everything we wanted to see. We got to meet Luca for the nocturnal tour which is very different than by day - wallabies everywhere.

Visited March 2013