We rocked up at almost 11pm after a very hot drive up from Adelaide. At was 33C outside and we were lucky enough to find one of the staff sitting outside just before finishing his shift (else we would have had to camp out or drive through). Despite not having a booking and barging in on the end of his shift, we were welcomed. Indeed, all the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful (full of good recommendations), as were other travellers. It's the most sociable motel/ hotel I've ever stayed at.
We stayed in one of the underground rooms (share facilities), and it was incredibly cool - descending about 6m underground makes a huge difference and it was the best night's sleep we'd had in about a week as a result. The room was basically furnished (no power points in the room - only in the hall), but very comfortable and well ventilated. The shared bathroom was clean and had ample showers, and the kitchen was very well equipped.
Things to be aware of:
- noise carries (light sleepers beware)
- there is no natural light (bonus for those who need absolute darkness)
- being underground, you'll get absolutely no mobile/ internet reception (easily rectified by going to the common room)
- there's ample parking, but little shade
I've stayed in Coober Pedy about a dozen times, and never bothered to stay in an underground hotel. I regret not having done this sooner. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Sure some people will probably have complaints about the place, but if you keep in mind that it was carved into rock and is in the middle of no-where, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
- Also Known As:
- The Underground Hotel Coober Pedy
- Underground Hotel Coober Pedy
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Well maintained property with very clean rooms and grounds, situated on the edge of the town center in a quiet and secure area. All rooms underground, with ensuite shower/toilet, TV and phone. Internet WiFi Hotspot. Great elevated location offering a fantastic view over the desert landscape and the Breakaways. Outdoor setting under veranda, trailer/caravan parking, children's play area, BBQ, kitchen and laundry facilities. Visitor information and tour arrangements. ... more less