“Classic Korean” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Korean
australia
“Classic Korean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I actually have mixed feelings about writing this review, as inevitably I tell my friends etc how great a place is, then I can never get a table when I want it, or it becomes so busy that the quality is affected.

I really hope neither of those happen with Don-Don.

In a nutshell, Don-Don is a total gem of a place. It doesnt look like much, but I assure you the food and the service more than make up for it.
I have eaten there probably more than a dozen times in the last two years - I have eaten with one companion, I have taken birthday parties there, and have never once been disappointed.
The food is without exaggeration the best Korean food I have ever had [and actually since going to Don-Don I have made a point of trying out other Korean restaurants, to get a benchmark - and I keep coming back to Don-Don].

About a year ago they changed the menu, and at first I was worried that it had been 'westernised' - not so.
The BBQ meats are top quality, the many and varied accompaniments are fresh and tasty.
I highly recommend the spicy seafood soup - be warned, you will need at least one and preferably two dining companions to help you get through it. One memorable night one friend & I attempted BBQ pork belly *and* the seafood soup - we managed to finish it but literally had to stagger up the street to the Kava Hut for a protracted lie down. It was that good.

The staff are incredibly sweet, just remember English is not their first language so you may have to point and gesture - all part of the fun.

• Visited April 2013