“Average Hotel, Service Poor” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Embassy Apartment Hotel

You added Oaks Embassy Apartment Hotel to your Saves list
Oaks Embassy Apartment Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   96 North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia   |
Ranked #36 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Adelaide
“Average Hotel, Service Poor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I would definitely not recommend this hotel to others.

Check In- Staff member was rude and unwelcoming.

Facilities- Spa did not work, Pool appeared dirty, not appealing, Room service unavailable, no car parking, all together would be things i would expect from a hotel.

Bathroom not well cleaned, spa bath was dirty.

There are plenty of hotels in Adelaide of similar price or slightly more where you will get much more value for your money. This Oaks Hotel was very unimpressive.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed at this hotel as a business trip for three weeks. I had never been to Adelaide prior to this, and had only previously seen maps. Location wise, the hotel is excellent. 500 metres from Rundle Mall, right near the main train station, and on the line of the free tram which goes out to Glenelg. Not to mention the short stroll to the River Torrens, which is beautiful of a night time.
Checking in, the room was already paid for by my company, but the gentleman serving me advised he had to take a $150 authorization from my credit card. As soon as he completed the transaction, another person behind the counter advised he shouldn't have done that since the room was all paid up for the period of my stay. I didn't really mind, as I knew the charge would drop off, but you would think they would have their story straight. Then, when he provided me with my paperwork, he had the wrong checkout date recorded, which he quickly fixed when I told him.
The first room I stayed in was quite spacious, and had everything I needed for my stay. I was on the 11th floor and my balcony faced into another hotel (also managed by Oaks) so there wasn't any privacy. After staying in the room for 4 days, my dishwasher broke. I advised the person and the desk, and the gentleman wrote it down and said maintenance would come to fix it. A week later, still not fixed. Then, my fridge died. Completely. I got home from work, and all of the food was warm in the fridge, but everything frozen still in the freezer. I called down to reception, and a couple of hours later a lady appeared at my room. She offered to switch rooms for me, which I gladly took up, but made no offer to reimburse me for half the fridge of food that had spoiled.
So... new room, same floor. The bathroom was dingy and there was hardly any light getting into the shower, but at least I had a working dishwasher and fridge. The room itself was very cold though compared to the first room, and had to have the heater on the whole time. The next afternoon, on my way back to my room, I saw someone checking in to the room I had just vacated. Here's hoping the fridge and dishwasher were fixed during that day.....

The general pool/spa area looked nice, the gym needed a bit of looking after. The staff were friendly and the bar downstairs was great value. Room service is also okay and arrived fairly quickly.

This is not a bad property to stay at, it just needs to be maintained better. When I reported the issues with the dishwasher and fridge, no one looked surprised, so it must be a fairly common occurrence.

Room Tip: Apparently if you ask for a room with a bath, you get a HUGE spa.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Was double booked and they upgraded without asking. Nice room, location was excellent and good value. Loved the heated pool, spa and steam room. Only negative was the lack of taxis that dont arrive when booked or otherwise. They are further up the road at the Mecure.. so walk up 400 metres and you should get one. I gave up my taxi to a couple and a gentlemen so they could make their flight on time....The Oaks needs to get rid of the cab company they ring for you..Only small thing was that it was very noisy on Thurs and Friday night owing to the location being so centrally located to Hindley st. The Hotel was great.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I've stayed several times in this hotel, both in 2 bedroom and 1 bedroom apartments. The 1 bedder is fine. I stayed in one on the top floor and it had lovely soaring ceilings. The 2 bedroom is fine also, but I stayed with a colleague and got the smaller bedroom. The smaller bedroom has no window and one of it's walls are frosted glass looking out to the lounge area. The major problem with that is there is no curtain or blind to block out light. So if your colleague watches tv or stays up late in the living room area, you have no choice but to suffer the light streaming into your room. The other notable fact is if you're travelling with other people, make sure your rooms are on the same floor. This hotel gives you an elevator security tag that only lets you press the button of your floor. So if you want to go to a mate's room, you have to go down to reception and meet him there, then go back up. That was one of the reasons my company no longer puts us up there. All other aspects are fine. Parking is good. Location is good with the Casino and restaurants close by. A nice coffee shop about 10 metres away. The rooms were quiet. Beds were firm. Kitchens were fully stocked as you'd expect. Supermarket within 1km as well as many other shops.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Great location directly across from the Adelaide Convention Centre and close by to Casino and Rundle Mall. Rooms are clean, comfortable and modern with a well equipped kitchen. The rooms are also spacious and with a balcony. The downstairs restaurant served good meals and reasonably priced. Staff were helpful and friendly. Given the price (rooms booked through a discount hotel website) it was fantastic value for money.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Had a great stay, had a girls weekend,staff were very nice and always helpful, great location close to everything. Had a 2 bedroom apartment, Room was very nice, clean, would stay again next time we are in Adelaide.

• Stayed July 2011
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

Room #1302
I wanted a big apartment for the night as it was my birthday & we wanted to invited friends over for dinner. When I booked the apartment, I went into The Embassy & asked to view the rooms. I viewed a 3 bedroom apartment (which I would have booked, but they were booked out) & was told that the 2 bedroom/2 bathroom executive was the same. Upon checking in one week later, the room we got (deluxe) was 2 bedroom but only one bathroom (very small bathroom & kitchen unlike the one I had viewed). I was very disappointed, & contacted reception as soon as we got to the room. However, they informed us that that was the room we had booked (which it wasn't). I had a copy of the receipt, however the receipt didn't specify which room we booked, only the price. It was another $80 to upgrade, so we decided not to pay the extra. Although the kitchen wasn't as big as we had thought, we were still able to entertain our friends which was good.
The apartment wasn't too bad, however the windows & glass doors were covered in filthy dirty greasy finger marks, which I cleaned off with a face washer. It was clear that the previous guests had children as their paw prints were everywhere!
The bathroom was very small. The jets in the bath were a joke. I had a 'spa' in the bath & after a few minutes of having the jets blowing, the bath filled with tiny specs of (what looked like) mould which I could see was on the inside of the jets. Not nice....
The bed was comfy, and the master bedroom had a flat screen tv on the wall.
The kitchen was well appointed with smeg appliances. However (as mentioned before) the kitchen was smaller than the room I had originally booked. We needed lots of bench space for preparing meals, so it was a bit small for us to cook in.
There were 2 balconies’ however one couldn't be used as it was so small & housed the aircon box. The other was a good size with a small table & 4 chairs. The apartment faced North Tce, so the views were good, especially at sunset....the apartment had nice big windows so you could enjoy the views at night.
When I booked the room, I asked if there was an i-pod player/radio & was told that there was not any in the room. However there was a micro-stereo in the apartment which I could use with my i-pod, which was a bonus. It would have been helpful if reception knew what facilities the apartments had, so that I didn't have to lug my laptop (for music) unnecessarily.
One staff member worth mentioning is Andrew who works at reception (tall, handsome young man from India). After asking if I could view the rooms (and having the female manager say no as they were too busy), Andrew asked me to wait until after he served the customers, then he took me up to view the rooms. He was really helpful & I was impressed by his service, thanks Andrew.
I am still not sure why I ended up with a different room from the one I booked. I have stayed in Oaks apartments before (at Glenelg) and had a similar experience. We booked into the Liberty apartments & was told when we checked in that they had doubled booked the room, so they moved us over to the Pier, which wasn’t as nice. It appears that they have a policy of double booking rooms, then moving people to a different property if everyone on the day checks in. However, I have also stayed at Oaks apartments in Melbourne & never had a problem.
I would stay at The Embassy again, however next time, I would re-confirm the room that I booked so that there were no last minute surprises!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Oaks Embassy Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!